attacked by dogs

My evening ride turned out to be less than a pleasant event.

I was not going to ride this evening because it is so hot and besides I needed to make a trip to the store for some milk. I decided to ride. So, I made a quick trip to the food store, got back home and changed into my riding clothes.

Out the door I went and about a quarter mile down the road these medium sized dogs appeared all of a sudden. Before I knew it, I had one on each side, barking and growling in what I percieved to be a threatening manner. I was conviced they meant to do me harm. I was going to try to keep riding and just yell “No!”. That usually works with dogs. I looked to the left and the dog on the right jumped up and touched me on the leg just below my right knee. That was more than enough for me.

I dismounted quickly and came out swinging my 29er. By the time I touched the ground, they started backing off and I became the aggressor. I realized they were retreating into a specific yard so I decided I would inform the homeowners that their dogs had attacked me in the street.

I went to the front door and when I knocked, it was not a polite knock. I made sure the people inside heard me and when the woman came to the door I made sure she heard my explanation of what her dogs had done.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

You didn’t finish the story! What did the lady say??? How did she react?

Yea that happened to me before but I wouldn’t have the guts to go to the door because I would be affraid the homeowener would have the dogs attack me:(

The same sort of thing happened to me at Shelby Farms about a week ago. Too, my 29er became my defense weapon of choice - while the owner continued to politely summon the dog (repeatedly) to no avail. The only difference in my encounter that was sort of funny was the pooch got a free ride one full revolution while hanging by his teeth onto my shin guards.

Tommy

hahaha my dog usually attacks me or others on unicycles or bikes…

Good thing you had shin guards though :astonished:

I, too, had a similar experience, though in mine only one dog was involved. I jumped off my 24" and started swinging it. I bet a unicycle could do some damage.

That’ll teach a dog not to mess with us!

Tommy I am shocked. :astonished: You actually swung at the dog! I would expect that from me, but you? Of course the owner would have been next in my sights.

Richard, what did the lady say? I can’t see you going after the owner either, but you more than Tommy. :wink:

pepper spray works like magic for dogs and stray people that attack

That creates a hilarious mental image.

I’ve come to a rather unpleasant dislike of dogs in general since I started riding. They just seem attracted to the unicycle, and every time I’m outside practicing flatland in my street and I bail, at least 10 dogs from all different directions start barking like crazy for more than 15 minutes. It’s freaking ridiculous.

I was riding up a hill next to a dog, there was a bicyclist ahead who didn’t get barked at when he passed, but I did.
It was trying to warn me that my bike was missing a wheel…

This little poodle started yapping at me once when I was overtaking it and its owner on a road(they were walking). The guy was very embarassed and kept hushing the poodle to keep quiet, but it just couldn’t stop. Also, when the poodle saw me coming towards them, before it started yapping, it had this deeply shocked expression on its muzzle, as if I just explicitly stomped most of its notions of how the universe works. I hope it’s okay now.

I think the unicycle freaks them out because it doesn’t make and sound as you move.

My experience is much more benign. I have been riding a loop about 4 times a week on my Coker. I actually look forward to the attack dog that I encounter. It’s a team of 2 dogs actually. As I approach the house the “scout” who’s chained to his doghouse sounds the alarm. The viscious attack portion of the team sets me in his sites and bides his time for the perfect trajectory to pursue and devour his prey. By now I know their game. I drop back to 7 or 8 MPH, eyes squinted ready for battle. The chained scout now bellowing that the frey is begun, the assault portion bunched muscles ready to launch. A terrifying growling begins as he careens towards me. I grit my teeth and pick my line, waiting to see the yellow of my enemies eyes before I make my move. Like a slow moving torpedo of foaming growls and teeth, the distance closes. A knowing grin of a confident warrior moves onto my face. Fortunately for me this destructive force plummeting my way was cursed by God with short legs, and can only run 9-10 MPH. Not only that, but bad timing. Were he to lead me he might have a chance of aquiring his prey. But… you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. This same scenerio has played out at least 50 times, and still his timing is the same. As he runs straight for me I bait him, pedaling just below his top speed. I let him almost latch into my tire, swerve and accelerate just ahead of him. I give him a morsel of hope allowing him to close in almost catching me. I lead him up the road as far as possible, trying my best to leave him panting and choaking in exhaustion.

Another battle won, Coker 51 - Dog 0.

Re: attacked by dogs

sounds like an epic battle between good and evil… althougth i’m sure
you’re a mighty warrior, but what kind or diminutive toy dog are you
afraid of that can only muster a flat out 10MPH are you sure its a dog
and not a hedgehog with a fur coat?

andy

oh and yes i did have to use a spell checker on diminutive :slight_smile:

pdc wrote:
> My experience is much more benign. I have been riding a loop about 4
> times a week on my Coker. I actually look forward to the attack dog
> that I encounter. It’s a team of 2 dogs actually. As I approach the
> house the “scout” who’s chained to his doghouse sounds the alarm. The
> viscious attack portion of the team sets me in his sites and bides his
> time for the perfect trajectory to pursue and devour his prey. By now I
> know their game. I drop back to 7 or 8 MPH, eyes squinted ready for
> battle. The chained scout now bellowing that the frey is begun, the
> assault portion bunched muscles ready to launch. A terrifying growling
> begins as he careens towards me. I grit my teeth and pick my line,
> waiting to see the yellow of my enemies eyes before I make my move.
> Like a slow moving torpedo of foaming growls and teeth, the distance
> closes. A knowing grin of a confident warrior moves onto my face.
> Fortunately for me this destructive force plummeting my way was cursed
> by God with short legs, and can only run 9-10 MPH. Not only that, but
> bad timing. Were he to lead me he might have a chance of aquiring his
> prey. But… you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. This same scenerio
> has played out at least 50 times, and still his timing is the same. As
> he runs straight for me I bait him, pedaling just below his top speed.
> I let him almost latch into my tire, swerve and accelerate just ahead
> of him. I give him a morsel of hope allowing him to close in almost
> catching me. I lead him up the road as far as possible, trying my best
> to leave him panting and choaking in exhaustion.
>
> Another battle won, Coker 51 - Dog 0.
>
>
> –
> pdc
>
> “What doesn’t kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
> mother”
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> pdc’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/52098

The Silent Service;)

It’s not only dogs too. This cat was really staring at me the other day.

You should have just gone to the wrong Shelby Farms like I did :frowning:

skunks too!

Crazy skunks too! My twilight ride two nights ago had to be cut a bit short due to a skunk camping out in the middle of the bike path… At least I had plenty of smell warning. Crazy critter probably didn’t hear me at all, unicycle is really quiet.

The twilight unicyclist has to be really careful - two wheelers can’t hear me, and often don’t see me until there is almost a collision. I do carry a light but I rather not use it.

It is worth the danger to experience awesome sunsets over Lake Champlain, then encroaching darkness with a cloud of bats flying all around you, as you roll down the path at a smooth pace. It’s great having bats so close you can clearly see their wings and bodies, sometimes flying inches away from my face. What magnificent creatures! Batman!

Her reaction was like “oh no, not again”. She came out of the house and walked right past me to start rounding up the (now 3) dogs which by this time were retreating to the safety of their fenced back yard. I am sure that by the time the woman got to the backyard, the dogs were sitting there, happily wagging their tails and looking real innocent.

I did not stay around on the porch to chat. I started walking back to the scene of the crime so I could resume my uni ride. I turned around and looked back. The husband had come out of the house and he did at least call to me to inquire if I was injured. I replied that one of his dogs almost took a chunk out of me and then I kept going.

Now it was time to resume my ride. I was shaking so bad that I was concerned about whether or not I would be able to mount my unicycle. Afterall, the guy was probably watching to see how I got on the thing. :roll_eyes: I nailed the freemount and rode off down the street but my evening ride was ruined. :frowning:

the reason dogs and stuff bark at a (uni-or bi-)cyclist, is because they do not realize the shape as human. my dog doesn’t bark at me he just stares.