Are you 45+

Cumulative age class. If there were more teams, it might be equitable to have a <100 y.o. and a >100 y.o. category (or <125 - >125). Look forward to seeing you there!

[QUOTE=mags]
Our long winter has started, so the uni’s are stored until April-May. I’m already anxious to ride the trails again, QUOTE]

Hey AK, just for kicks you should pick a mild day when the roads are clear or the snow is packed hard on the road surface, and jump on your Coker for a spin. I think you’ll be amazed at how well you track and how maneuverable you’ll safely be. I’ve been winter riding in MN for four seasons - it’s almost my favorite season for Cokering!

Hey Mags, is that Arctic Circle sign on the Haul Rd.? If so, I’ve been there. On a motorcycle trip 2 yrs. ago. I talked to 2 different people who were biking that road but I didn’t see any unicycles;)

(emoticon placed for Harper’s benefit)

Riding on snow is a blast

[quote=mags]
Our long winter has started, so the uni’s are stored until April-May. I’m already anxious to ride the trails again, QUOTE]

Ride now, why wait…Using the right tire and having hard packed snow or fresh fluffy snow (less than 6") and you will be amazed. (I have a kenda Klaw XT tire)

Even icy conditions can be navigated on unicycle, especially with knobby tires. The walkways usually freeze up with foot prints which help with the grip. Mixed snow and ice patches add to the fun of the ride.

I was surprised with my 29" how much fun can be had. Why let dust collect on your uni-stead. Larger diameter wheels roll thru snow much easier than 20", 24" wheels.

Recommend you wear helmet, elbow pads, gloves for any UPD’s.

Ride sensibly and within your experience level, don’t expect to be able to do 360 spins or other fancy manuvers.

Give it a whirl, opens up a new aspect to unicycling.

onewheel too

I am also old enough to ride bycicles, and I love to ride pennyfarthings too, nice to see more masters here!

Greetings to all from Vienna!

Welcome Pauli

Welcome to the forums Pauli.

Do you have some photos you can post of you riding a pennyfarthings ?

Your avatar shows a hint of one.

pics

Thank you, nice picture on your profile legtod2,
look at my profil

and here “racing” Pauli at Worldchampionship 2001 at Brno

Thanks Pauli

Cool looking ride, looks like solid rubber tires.

Must be an uncomfortable ride.

Thanks for sharing

mags

[QUOTE=mags]
Our long winter has started, so the uni’s are stored until April-May.

mags check this: http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/ice.cfm
I was told that the kids in the Unicycle Central Club and the Twin Cities Unicycle Club in Minneapolis, Minnesota went riding on Como Park Lake when it was frozen. They also rode the manmade hill at Hamm Park next to Como Lake when it was covered in snow. It can be done.
Gina

no snow here

[quote=“gina”]

I’m sorry to hear that, Gina. The weather is great here. :wink:
A lot of people in my neighborhood spent the day cutting their grass and then putting up Christmas lights. Tomorrow night I’m going to ride around with my helmet light and red flashy cat’s eye on my belt to look at the pretty lights. I might or might not need a sweater. :stuck_out_tongue:

Paulie, that is a nice looking Penny Farthing. I saw one in real life only once in downtown Jacksonville. The rider certainly got my attention. What does it feel like to ride? And how DO you get on?

I know I’m underage… to post on this thread… but I keep coming back… and until I get kicked out… here I am…

Today I was really busy but managed to get a few minutes ride in our park. Successfully rode off a few curbs (Yah me!) and did a lot better on this long skinny that has multi curves in it. (Yah me!)

After popping off my last curb and approaching my car, I pulled the keys from my pocket, popped the trunk, dismounted, and in one swoop swung the uni into the trunk . Removing my helmet I could hear a few teens nearby gasp and one said, “No way, … she rides an old lady car.” (I have an old Lincoln town car.)
He continued, “I’m never going to say anything about old ladies and their driving again.”

Obviously he’s been driving behind me. I’m a safe but typically slow “old lady driver from Florida”. I think I should buy something to dye these locks tomorrow. It’s about time and I can take a hint… :wink:

Unibug it’s always a pleasure for you to show up in any of these threads. Certainly an exception can be made for the younger folks who are willing to hang out with these young at heart wheelers.

You are so sweet, Ken… Thanks! :slight_smile:

At last, I 'm legal in this thread as of today. I had a great birthday ride with Rolandisimo this morning. Six miles of hilly dirt roads and single track, 3 inches of fresh powder snow, 15 degrees F (-9 c), 20+ mph wind. Quite bracing.

Happy Birfday!:):smiley: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy Birthday Steveyo!

Happy Birthday, steveyo. Glad you were able to get out in Albany’s tropical December weather for a ride. Is your daughter still riding with you or have you crossed the nerdy dad barrier?

Well, it has taken me rather a long time to get in here, and to actually admit to being over 45. I suppose I wanted to come in with a bang. But I still wasn’t sure whether to go into the “brag thread” instead.
I had an ambition to save up enough bravery and stupidity in total to risk my delicate bone structure and ride a giraffe before I was 60 ( another age it will probably take me years to admit to being. I was quite horrified last week when an invitation came to apply for a bus pass!). Anyway, with just about three months to spare I rode a DM for the first time this last week, and am still feeling rather higher than the 5 feet.
And I didn’t break anything when I fell off. Just need to work a bit more on that right hand turn!

Fantastic! go you.

She only rides when the other neighborhood kids are trying to ride. She’s interested in horses at the moment. Oh , and I long ago crossed the nerdy dad barrier. She’s 10.5 yrs old and well into the pre-teen dad-you’re-embarassing-me stage.

I have two childern…

I have two children, 5yr and 10yr olds.
Had children late in life or should I say when I was ready.

Greatest part of my day is when I come home I am still greeted at the door with a big hug and I love you daddy.

Not looking forward to the days when that ends.