Are sun unicycles any good?

I myself have a Torker Unistar LX 24" and it is pretty sturdy thus far. However, after seeing the new Sun, I will have to say you should go with that…as long as it is the Flat Top. They look to be very similer. They look to be almost identical, right down to the rim. It looks as though the frame might be a bit wider on the Sun Flat top. This being said, it might be possible for you to upgrade the wheel and crankset as your skills increase. That is one thing that will limit you with the Torker. Unless you get a DX, Torker frames arn’t wide enough to accomodate a trial’s or a muni wheel, either at the hub or where you need the tire clearance. So go for the Sun Flat Top, but not the Classic.

Sun Unicycle

I ride the Sun 24" Uni. I learned on it and so far it has been awesome. No slipping on the crank or hub or whatever, but I expect at some point to have to do some kind of maintenance just like with any other type or brand of uni. There is an intense amount of weight and pressure channeled through the frame and crank of a unicycle which will always result in general wear and tear.

The frame design is not going to let you get tricky like with the torker, but if you can get over it, the Sun is worth it.

Uhm… revived thread?

Any people that might happen by this… I wouldn’t buy a Sun unless it was the only uni available. You will regret it. Learning anything on a cheap uni is absolutely miserable.

I wouldn’t buy a Sun to save money…the Sun flattop looks halfway though…

That doesn’t mean I wasn’t able to glide on my friend’s Sun last time I saw it :roll_eyes:

New riders: You haven’t had a cheap uni long enough to really hate it nor do you have anything to compare it to. I broke a Cyclepro frame trying to change the tire because the bolts were cross threaded on the bearing holders.

Would a 16" torker be a nightmare to learn on too?

I cant start riding for 3 more weeks due to my arm injury, but I already love it just messing around in the hallway. When I started rollerskating I loved it the first 5 mins. and that didnt change. So I’m wondering if I can get a good deal on a good uni now if I should empty out my bank account now or if I should wait to see if I really love it that much. Just the few good deals might not be around in another 2-3 months…

If you already have the 16" torker you should learn on it. In general a smaller wheel is easier to learn on. At some point you will probably want to get a better one (20 inch) but the one you have should be fine for learning on. Many cheap unicycles are fine for learning on. They tend to fall apart or break when you get better and start hopping or going off drops.

how can i mod my 24’’ sun best for trials … :thinking: can i possibly put a 20’’ rim on and up grade the hub?

I’m sure you could have started your own thread for this.

As for the Sun, unless you’re about 40lbs, don’t bother, you’ll spend more money buying parts and still end up with something that won’t hold up.

why does everyone keep saying sun unicycles are no good??? i’ve had mine (20") for the past 6 years and it’s still in very good shape… couple scratches but no serious problems

I have always thought that it’s good. The Sun brand incorporates features you would expect in a quality unicycle, at a much lower price.

i just bought the sun flat top deluxe first version, it is grate, it has workd perfectly, i think thay solved the mayor problems, but it has a square fork, so its grate for tricks,

http://www.sunbicycles.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Flat%20Top%20Deluxe&cl1=UNICYCLES&version=1

you can get the newer gold version, that has better pedals and better rim, for 130 bucks in amazon.