Anyone know where to buy an Innova Pro Podium 24x.2.8

Well it’s not the Innova Pro Podium but my Big Roller arrived

It looks nice enough so far. Now I need to figure out what to put it on, as I’ve recently turned my 24" into a freewheel, where the Holy Roller is more suited :smiley:

I wonder whether it’ll fit on a Club 24" as a beginner muni for kids on our club muni rides.

1 Like

24" x 2.80? Where did you buy it

I bought it from here: https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialized_big_roller_24_inch_tyre_24_x_2_8_inch-ID_70098

1 Like

A 24" URC road cotterless is €219, which is roughly the same as a 24" Club “Beginner MUni” at £185 but the URC will take up to a 4" tyre and has a disc brake mount. Just sayin’.

Yeah, I’m not looking to buy anything new right now, and sadly all Mad4One is expensive in the UK once you’ve added on duties, VAT, and shipping.

I’ve already got a few Club 24s

Fair enough. In any case now I think of it I suppose if someone was buying they would actually buy a 24" Club Freestyle Unicycle at £176, since the only difference between that and the Muni version appears to be the tyre¹ which you would flip out anyway. Though for me the URC with a disc tab, wider tyre acceptance and the possibility to upgrade to an ISIS hub (the cotterless hub actually uses shimming in the frame, it was designed for ISIS) would make it a better option.

¹ EDIT: Actually differences between the 24" “Club Freestyle"and “Club Beginner MUni” seem to be the addition of Doublebolt Seatpost Clamp and a 24x2.35” tyre instead of 24x1.95.

Let me know what you think of the tyre after you have ridden it for a bit. I am very curious!

EDIT: And now I have read this…

Sorry I missed that before @Duff. Though I am also interested in @mowcius thoughts in the future.

EDIT 2

FWIW, my 24 currently has a Vee 24x4 Mission Command mounted. This works pretty well in certain types of snowy conditions but I do wish for more grip sometimes. It is also very “self-steery”, though I have gotten more used to it. Finally, the clearance is exceptionally tight in my URC frame. It will occasionally rub just a little. I have never felt it but I can see a little rubber on the inside of the frame occasionally. I wish the URC frame was just a tiny bit bigger. It would also probably handle better with a slightly wider rim. One day I might upgrade to a hatchet for my winter snowy needs. I reckon that would work a lot better plus 26 would allow me to get a commercial studded fat tyre so that I felt less scared on the icy sections.

I have the feeling it would be better on a wider rim. But, there’s no harm in trying it.

1 Like

From my (admittedly very limited) experience of the URC frames, they’re not the stiffest, which no doubt also plays a part.

Yes I suspect so, but I’ll report back! It’s an affordable upgrade option if it works well on narrower rims like the Club 24" has.
Now I need to remember which of my Club 24" wheels has the 2.4" tube in it, as that’s the closest I think I’ve got.

Probably! The M4O equivalent to the URC likely does work better due to stiffness, plus I am sure it is also bigger. For a 24x4 they say you can use the small (muni) URC frame (which I have) but for the premium/alu M4O muni frame you need the medium to house a 24x4.

So yeah… if I had spent more money it would likely not rub but the point was to try and do it “on the cheap”. I guess, you get what you pay for. :wink: That all said, I think the URC frames are still a good deal.

Wider rims allow lower air pressure to be driven. I see it on my Fatty unicycles. 4" tires can be driven from 0.4 bar, but you would also need a wide rim (65mm, 80mm). On my 45mm rims the limit is 0.7 bar, the same as when I use a 3" tire.

1 Like

Right, I tried it on some unicycles.

On a 30mm rim (as fitted to the Club 24" unicycles), the tyre ends up just under 2.7" (68mm) wide. At the maximum rated riding pressure (35PSI), so far it seems quite nice - would work well on hard-packed ground, giving a bit more grip than the Holly Roller that I’m a big fan of. Lowering the pressure is OK, but you can’t go too far or the narrowness of the rim starts to give problems. A chunkier tube might help with this a little - I was running a 2.4".

Regarding fit, it will not fit into a Club 24" frame. Width is kind of OK - height isn’t even close. The bearings aren’t even in the holders in this picture and the frame is jammed onto the top of the tyre.
It will fit into one of my generic chrome frames, but as soon as you put a bit of power down it sounds like a motorbike as the frame flexes.

I’ll try it on my freewheel 24" (with 47mm KH rim) at some point in the future and report back.

For the price I think it could be a great tyre for kids munis, so long as you’ve got a frame it’ll fit in. The Innova Pro Podium still looks like it might be better though, being that bit more aggressive with the tread.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. It would easy fit in my URC frame and my rim is wider, so I might pick one up and some point and try it myself. But no rush, I would use something like this in the warmer weather (or at least no snow). That is what I had intended for the Innova Pro Podium anyway.

Side note, if anyone ever sees a 24x3.8 (I know… I know, very unlikely) let me know, as I think a fraction down to replace my Vee 24x4 Mission Command for the snow would be awesome. Obviously a bonus if it was actually studded or had deep enough tread that I could self-stud. And yes… I should just buy myself a hatchet one day! :stuck_out_tongue:

Cool, thanks for the update. I had mine in a KH24 and I had no problems for that frame.

1 Like

Having used it quite a bit now, I think the Big Roller is an excellent tire most of the year. It’s a little fatter than a Vee Crown Gem and the same width as a Duro Wildlife despite the Wildlife being supposedly 3.0", and of course it’s significantly lighter than the Wildlife. I also think it climbs a little better than the Wildlife. In slick conditions however it just doesn’t have an aggressive enough tread and I think the heavy construction of the Wildlife lets you air it down more without experiencing autosteer or folding when hopping. And the price is right too.