anybody not have a uni buddy?

one

Hmmm… let me shed some insight on this topic. The ‘vehicle’ we all cherish and love to ride is after a uni-cycle. Uni implies ‘one’ so enjoy the uniquiness! :slight_smile:

Personally, when I ride myself there is all the more freedom to do what you want. Just your presence demand attention from the public(whom love or envy you). Now how many other sports shares that in common? Well, I can think of parachuting with a snowboard but there is no ‘public’ to see you do it. :smiley:

loners

it is mildly depressing that people think they’ll look stupid if they uni when you ask them to come out with you, i could’ve sworn that was all part of the fun

good point made by uni57! will certainly hav to use my work supplies to make up some flyers and ride around my local town also paper add is a nice touch,

watch this space for more results from more waky and quite possible dull comments from yours truly! :astonished:

I have to drive for 15 kilometres too meet some uni-buddys.

I’ve just started riding these things, so my greatest skill is the UPD. (I practice those regularly!) I’m sort of a closet NQU (Not-Quite-Unicyclist), and don’t really plan on going public until I can ride without embarrassing myself. Thanks to this site I know there are a couple of folks around here who unicycle, but I think I’ll continue lurking and practicing before I make contact…maybe in the spring. It gives me something to shoot for! I also put some thought into the purchase of my first uni…I made sure it was cheap so that A) I’d have to upgrade and B) when I did, I’d have that first cheap uni to hand to my friends to learn on!!

I don’t have a unibuddy yet… but I’m hoping to fix that by teaching my son to ride. Once we get that going, we’ll get started on world domination. :slight_smile:

The Unibomber?

What about Uni-Steve511? He’s in Negaunee?

I have been riding alone for 30+years. Granted I didn’t ride a lot in my 20s and mid 30’s but I got used to it.

My method for making unifriends? Riding publicly and being more friendly that I usually am inclined to be! Do you have two unicycles? Bring the extra next time you go out to play and maybe someone will like to try and not have to take your uni away from ya.

I am also making unicycling a prereq for any future boyfriends. That will help me be very selective with men AND make uni friends!! So far I’ve come to the conclusion that I will have to teach men to ride so that there is a bigger pool of unicyclists to among which to date, so I should make a few uni pals that way.

I use this forum a lot do chat about riding. That helps the lonlies, too!

Another option is to glorify the fact that you are a lone unicyclist. A mask and a cape should do the trick.

Okay, that got me laughing out loud. Can’t imagine what THAT would do for your love life!

Podzol,

Good luck trying to find single male unicyclists. Every one Knows that unicycles are babe magnets. :smiley:

Dave

same with me. i ride with a bunch of skaters that are really really good. so its cool to go out with them, cuz i amaze them and they amaze me. ive actually met a lot of people just randomnly that ask me questions about it, and i do a trick, and they skate with me. its dope.

Two of my good friends from my hometown muni, and we go as much as possible. They got me started only a few months ago, but I’ve really taken to it and just bought an '05 KH24. Also, only about 30 minutes away are three more unicyclists (KcTheAcy, uniMcPeat and one other) who we’ve gone with. I dont particularily enjoy riding alone, so I guess this works out well!

When the 6 of us muni on nearby trails, we get some really ‘special’ looks. It’s funny to see their reactions and comments, especially when we outnumber them.

Have you guys gone to the unicycling.org roster?
You can search by country or state and maybe find somebody to ride with.

http://www.unicycling.org/roster/index.php?country=usa

I recon I’m the only serious unicyclist in the country but I made my friend get one for christmas so I hope he will take it serious. Besides that a little uni show at our big school show next year should teach 'em…

yea i just bought my roomate a uni just so i can ride with someone… :frowning: and im wanting to get my other friend one too cause he is all about riding my uni.and im rebuilding my old busted uni for my girlfriend although she cant ride a uni at all… and doesn really want to… except she is exciited that her uni is going to be pink!!! haha gets her every time!:slight_smile:

i got my best freind to learn after about a year of me riding. i think he just got tired of me bragging and hes trying to pass me up :roll_eyes: :wink:
i bragged on purpous to make him jealous, and im getting all the ladies

I still laugh out loud every time I see that. :slight_smile:

I used to miss riding with others, but then I ran into some ‘had been’ unicyclist, and suggested we get together. Later after thinking about it, I figure we’d be bored with each other in 10 minutes. Not that we are losers, it’s just that uni’ing is mostly an individual thing. Those of you fortunate to have good mates that share the same type of uni’ing are lucky indeed. I have learned to appreciate riding alone, my own direction, to my own schedule.

Having said that, I still do look forward to the next unicycle event.

Farming Your Uni-Buddies

When I first wanted to share unicycling with others I decided to invest a little creativity and energy into forming a club (the Memphis Unicycle Club). I now have a large group of uni-friends that share various unicycle styles of riding with me. Heck, if I can do it behind the “Magnolia Curtin” and Yoopers and do it in Podunk, Ill. I know that you can do it in your town! You’ve got to farm those uni-buddies and show them that it is okay to be joyous, silly and healthy!

Tommy

uh, why do you think we’re all in these forums? -because we have no unicycling friends.

i taught someone to ride, but he won’t stick with it - he’s more into bmxing. i do however ride with a few of my friends that skate - very interesting sometimes . . .