Any tips on starting with a ultimate wheel?

I believe 30 PSI is about 2 Bar. The tire on the UW states it should be pumped up to 125 PSI, so went to 90PSI. I always fear the tire will blow out.

Wow, even 6 bars is a very high pressure. What exactly does the tyre say? Recommended or max pressure?

It just says 125 P.S.I., nothing about recommended or max. That is actually more than 8 bar. And I must say that 35 psi in my Nimbus muni feels like a hard tire, but in the UW it was still very soft. The UW tire is very narrow and at the same time thick, so that should make it able to handle higher pressure.

1 Bar is roughly 14.5 psi

Today I had my first UW session of 30-45 mins. How will I ever be able to make a full rev. Already a half rev is very scary. I always bail out too quickly. I also tried holding on to a wall and managed to do 2 whole revolutions, just to get a bit of a feel how the wheel will behave, but as soon as I push off from the wall and basically float in the air I mostly chicken out.

Another thing I find difficult on the UW is getting out of the deadpoint, but I suppose that wonā€™t be so much a problem while making revoliutions and having some speed.
Like you said Mikefule, Iā€™m stil in the 0 0 0 0 0 0 stage :slight_smile:

Soon youā€™ll be at the Oooooh! stage. Keep at it. :slight_smile:

Now that I have a family, I canā€™t ride as often as I want to, but every either Saturday morning or Sunday morning, I can take 2 hours to ride. Today I first took 30 mins to play with the UW and because it is the only time of the week for myself and the uni, rode my 29" in the forest 45 mins. Part of that trip were some sandy stretches where I can only get through by standing on the pedals and with both hands in the air and then try to plough through, burning my thighs. When I drove back home, I decided to just take 15 mins of trying. The thing is that I know I can do it. I know I can ride the UW, it just didnā€™t work out yet, untilā€¦

I managed to make a 75% rev, so landing on my left and carrying through the deadpoint up with right again. I was like Woooowww. Now that Iā€™ve done it once, I can do it again. That is what unicycling taught me. Im soo happy now.

I also pumped the tire to 100 psi. I read that road tires handle such high pressures even up to 130 psi for Kenda at least. And after reading that the legs work as a brake when the wheel falls against it, I turned the KH shin guards so the smooth side was towards the wheel.
Finally I found that when placing my feet just a little bit away from the wheel on the pedals, I leave a bit of free space between my leg and the wheel, making it easier to make revolutions.

A personal rule of thumb for my own workouts has been to practice whatever new / impossible thing Iā€™m learning ā€¦ near the beginning. That is what Iā€™ve been doing with wheel walking. I donā€™t UW, but it seems so difficult, I would want to start my workout on it. Psychologically, if I started the workout with things I was already good at, the UW might feel more frustrating. Also, my control and finesse seems to diminish as I tire out. When Iā€™m practicing the think Iā€™m most inefficient at, I want to be fresh.

Congrats, Setonix, on your .75 revolution. Keep the baby steps coming!

I know Iā€™m overthinking it and prolly that 75% rev happened when I didnā€™t think, as I didnā€™t manage it yesterday. I did notice I should change my thinkset. Instead of thinking ā€œHow can I stop, once I make full revolutionsā€, I should think ā€œNow Im gonna ride 100 metresā€.
I will report something again, once Iā€™ve managed at least 2 whole revolutions.

Stand up straight and tall, pull your backside in, donā€™t stoop. Look a sensible distance ahead (say 5 ā€“ 10 metres/yards) at a fixed point on the floor ā€” a mark on the ground, crack in the pavement, etc. Once you can ride part way towards it, shift your focus to the next mark on the ground.

If you expect to fail with UW, you will. Unfortunately expecting to succeed is not a guarantee of immediate success! It took me ages to get to 2 pedal strokes, then the progression to 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and beyond was quite rapid. Before you know it, any ride under 100 pedal strokes will be a failure and youā€™ll be trying to do a lap of the nearest park lake.

Also, break the monotony by trying a gentle downslope and, later, a gentle upslope.

Been trying for over 2yrs watched every tutorial on utube but non of them worked practiced almost everday sometimes for 8hrs but can do it million times better now and it was stright after i tried a free mount leg wrap cant idle cant free mount only did the leg wrap 4 or 6 times its as if it built my confidance evan though the leg wrap failed every time up i know just wish i did this two yrs ago give it a try seems unlikely but it worked for me seems to bigger cowincedance for it not to be because of this.

Today I accidentally learned that freemounting right away is easier than the wheelgrab mount, at least, for smaller wheels. With pedals vertical I step on the lower pedal, leaning the wheel against the leg. I can spend few seconds in this position, with the other leg in the air. Then I simply put the free leg on the top pedal, and ride away.

It really looks like the leg wrap mount for a normal uni; I do not know why, but I do not need to roll backwards a bit, the wheel moves only forward, no dead position problems.

Surprisingly this is easier than the wheelgrab.

You are much further than me of course. I canā€™t even think of freemounting. Today I tried another 45 mins. At first it was like I would never learn and then I managed to keep my front foot on the pedal (my dominant is right foot in the back), but whenever I came down, I would hop off. Thinking I messed up my training by making my brain throw me off too early, I kept trying and then all at once I had my balance and managed 1.5 rotation. First got my full rev which made me jump happy in the air and then the next victory. Im so happy. Now I only have to learn to move my weight from one foot to the other to be able to ride longer, but the beginning has been made.
I also decided to mount with my non dominant foot in the back, so I got a bit of a feel for that side and that must have helped making full revs.

With this experience, I must say that even though it seems very very difficult, it doesn;t really take as many hours to ride as I needed when learning to unicycle. That took me 3 weeks of practicing 2 hours ever night. Now I;ve done 1.5 revs in 2.5 hours.
So I will say "Yous unicyclists on the forum, give the UW a try. It really isnā€™t as hard as everybody makes it seem. "
It would also be nice if more peeps put UW videos on youtube.

Haqreu, how far could you right before you started practicing on freemounting?

Setonix, I am glad to see your progress! I am not much ahead of you, ~10 hours of practice. Indeed, the UW is not that hard to learn. Iā€™d say that it is not the saddle time, but the regularity that counts. 10-15 min per day is better than 2 hours per weekend. Unfortunately, lately I train 30 min at best per weekend.

As for the freemounting, I never trained for that. I know that I wonā€™t go very far from the training ground right in front of my home, so the pressure for the freemounting is much less present than for my uni (I do 10-20 km on my uni with my kids, so a good freemount is a must).

I think that freemounting a UW is free of charge if you can do 10 revs. Moreover, freemounting a UW is more energy demading than mounting with a lamppost, and frankly, I think it serves for nothing. A lamppost is easy to find, and with progress freemounting a UW is really easy. Do not optimize for that.

My recent progress was very fun and bizarre. I unlearned to ride quickly, however I gained A LOT at a slow pace riding. Then, with a little bit of effort, rapid riding returned greatly enhanced. BTW, I stopped practicing my regular unis completely (I do not count leisure walks with my kids), and I focus on the UW, it is so much fun!

My kid has the same size bike and this summer I rode a lot with my wife and my daughter while I rode my unis. Now that it is dark so early, Iā€™d rather drive by my training grounds for practicing UW than to be home early to all ride together. On the other hand my wife finds it too cold already to ride her bike. Normally in the weekends when possible I also ride 10-20km with any of my munis, mostly in foresty areas. Mikefule rides in the forest with his UW and I hope to one day also be able to do that. There are no lampposts in my forest, so freemounting will be a must. When I learn to ride with a wheelgrab, I might be able to do that on my unis too, but mostly I found it too weird and just do static mounts.

The UW is really addicting. When I have a fail, Im annoyed and quickly do it again and when I make progress or feel it was almost right, I also quickly get on it to try again. It is hard to stop. :slight_smile:

Just today got my first 300 meter ride (297, close enough dammit!) and I feel like progression is really going through the roof. Anyways, one of the most annoying things from the moment I first tried to get a consistent half-rotation all the way to this day is the lack of useful UW tutorials, video and text alike. Iā€™ve dug through youtube for hours and hours trying to find good views of every part of the body while riding to teach it to myself, but itā€™s still not as useful as a true tutorial video.

Honestly, I wish somebody with a decent camera, editing skills, and ability to explain what they are doing well goes and makes a true UW tutorial someday, it would be a great way to introduce people to the fun of the UW.

Three Cheers for no groin pain after rides! Hurrah!

Yes the same here. I tried looking for UW videos in every language I could think of, even saw some Russian vidz, but mostly they are vidz like ā€œSee what I can doā€¦ā€
When did you first learn to ride you UW? 300m is quite the achievement. So far, I mostly hurt my back for picking the darn thing up and climbing on top again.
You do understand that since you got so far, it is up to you to make a kick-ass tutorial video. :slight_smile:

Today after work i could take 20 mins training again and i managed 2 whole revs. I noticed that as I rolled I hung too far back. After the 2 revs only managed one. Been trying to look for a far away point but I guess im also stooped too far to the front. For now too much luck is involved for more revs, but im sure i can nail it. For now every day is progress but that will surely get a bit less.

Today I have assembled a videoproof that I have reached the level 1 unicycling skill :sunglasses:
Learning how to turn was not very easy, but I had to do it in order to show the freemount / the dismount with the static camera. Here is the video, nothing special, just a videolog:

Looks very cool. Once I will get there too. Thanks for sharing your progress.

So next will be hopping and riding down stairs and Ultimate muni-wheelingā€¦ :slight_smile: