Another fun Coker ride

Work has been really busy these days such that I only have Sundays for riding this month. So Beau, Megumi and I met up with Mike Scalisi and our normal riding buddies Scot and Dez for a fun ride along Skyline Blvd near here. The ride was out-and-back, just under 15 miles each way with just over 3000’ of climbing total. That’s lots of up. Since Beau had no brake on his Coker and we both had 125mm cranks, I never touched my brake (in sympathy). That made some of the steep downhills challenging. Anyway, great day, great fun. Hope many of you got out this weekend and had fun rides too.

A few photos up here.

—Nathan

How sweet it is that the whole family rides together! The ride looks great, hills to test both up and down. You even had some four legged creatures to check out. Thanks for the pics and report. I rode to and from beach volleyball is all this weekend. Our beach volleyball season is winding down, so playing allot these days.

Four of us did the short, 17 mile version of the Iron Horse Trail ride yesterday. We may have taken a total of five photos the entire trip because we have photographed that trail so much in the past. It sprinkled briefly on us but we probably got wetter from falling condensation in the tunnel than on the rest of the ride.

It’s neat to see Megumi on the Coker. 30 miles and 3000 feet of climbing makes for a healthy ride.

I also had a really fun Coker ride on Sunday. Well actually, I had a really fun muni ride and then a really fun Coker ride.

Sunday morning I met up with Jagur and went for a muni ride in Falls City, Oregon. The ride in Falls City is a fun one because the trails all go downhill. I’m not sure how much climbing there is to get to the top, but I think it’s around 1000 feet give or take a few hundred. The best part is that we finished the ride just as a healthy rain shower started. Perfect timing!

Then I rushed over to Corvallis Oregon to climb Marys Peak. When I got to Corvallis the rains were holding off so the climb was on. I did the Marys Peak climb on the Coker with 170 mm cranks.

I tried the 170’s just to see what it would be like to do a long climb with long cranks. The long cranks worked well. At no point during the climb did I feel like I was under-geared. At no point did I have to stand on the pedals to keep going. With the 170’s I could just sit and pedal.

The crown of the road did present some problems. On the flats the road crown doesn’t bother me much. But on a climb the road crown was more noticeable. It gets worse on right-hand turns where the road slopes even more to the right. My left leg had to do a lot more work to keep the uni going straight. I’d do a hard push with the left leg to counteract the tendency of the uni to veer to the right due to the road crown. It got to the point that I was very happy for every left-hand turn where my right leg would do the work and my left leg could take a rest.

I didn’t take any pictures but I did keep some general stats:

Distance up: 9.4 miles
Distance up and down: 18.8 miles
Total elevation gain: 2800 feet
Ride time up: 1.5 hours 6.3 mph
Ride time down: 1 hour 9.4 mph

Average grade for the first 3.7 miles: 7.1% with a one mile stretch with an 8.9% average grade

Average grade for the rest of the climb: 6.5% - 6.8%

I’m a little disappointed in the 1.5 hour time for the climb. I could do the climb faster. I took it easy because my left leg was not very happy and I wasn’t sure how I’d be feeling at the end of the ride.

I did most of the descent without using the brake. I did break down and use the brake for the last 1.5 miles because my knees were complaining and the grade was getting steeper. The brake is a very nice thing.

Marys Peak is a fun climb. I’m going to have to do it again next time I’m in Corvallis. Maybe I’ll try it with shorter cranks next time just to compare.

Re: Another fun Coker ride

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 03:04:23 -0500, “john_childs” wrote:

>The crown of the road did present some problems.

Next time if you experience that and your tyre isn’t rock hard yet,
try pumping it up some more. (I know you carry a pump.) A harder tyre
is less affected by road crown because of its lower tendency to
laterally deform.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne”

Re: Re: Another fun Coker ride

I actually didn’t bring a pump with me on that ride. The only tools I brought with me were some allen keys. I only pack a bunch of tools for long rides or for group rides. :slight_smile:

I had the pressure in the low 40’s (psi). I’ll try a higher pressure next time.

Re: Re: Re: Another fun Coker ride

you must have lowered it because when i squeezed it in the Subaru it was rock hard. i’d say 55 or 60 psi at least.

I just took my tire pressure up from 40 to 50, and am definitely happier at 50. Feels like I’m more in control, and less tendency for the coker to “pull”.

Open question to JC and AspenMike: what kind of 170s are you using? I run 150s, and I bought some Schwinn 140s thinking they’d be better for flat riding. Maybe they will be, although I’m getting more confident spinning my 150s, and am thinking I want to start a more serious up and down regimen.

Advice on a good brand of 170s appreciated…

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another fun Coker ride

Unicycling’s equivalent of Mr. Whipple? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hah. Jagur, just kidding…not dissing. Even though I might still owe you one for that comment about my creative dremel work on the Sun doublewide.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another fun Coker ride

nope, that was justified. if you finished the job it would’nt have caught so much attention.

taking the tyre off and using a wire wheel would be better i think though.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another fun Coker ride

Nope. I just measured the pressure and it was 42 psi. The Coker tire is a thick heavy-duty tire. Squeezing it is deceptive.

My 170’s are the Black Widow Euro’s. They work fine for Coker use. I’m not going to be bending a crank on a Coker road ride.

Mike has Kooka cranks. Very nice cranks, but not available any more.

Most any of the 170 mm cranks will work fine for road riding. The most important factor is making sure that the cranks stay tight. Anything other than the Lasco alloy cranks should work well.

Another option is to get tandem cranks. I used 170 mm Sugino tandem cranks on my Pashley. You get a right crank from the captain’s set (the front rider) and then a matching left crank from a normal bike’s set. Any bike shop that can order from the QBP (Quality Bicycle Products) catalog can get the Sugino tandem cranks and they’ll sell them as a broken set (one from the tandem set and one from the standard set). Should be about $40 for a pair suitable for a unicycle.

I ride with tire pressure of 60 psi or so, even the 22 miles of dirt over Boreas Pass the other week was fine with that pressure. I have Kooka cranks on my GB4 36er, and really like them. My old Coker used Odyssey Black Widows, which seemed just fine. As you know, I am a huge advocate for long cranks and no brakes for the “full” effect. Since all of my riding is mountains, that combination has had great results. Cheers