Advice on buying a unicycle

A few months ago I started riding a friends unicycle and had a great time in the two weeks or so that I could ride it, so now I am looking to buy one, but I am not sure exactly what to get. I have been looking at the Torker Unistar CX because it is cheap, has good reviews, and my friends unicycle that I rode was a Torker that looks like it. The only problem is I am not sure what size wheel to get or if that unicycle will be good for me. My friends unicycle was pretty small but she is small as well. I am 6’2" though, but could still ride hers (I had to put the seat about all the way up). Will the Torker Unistar CX 20" be ok or would that be an awful idea? So I am just looking for any advice I can get before I make a purchase. Thanks in advance.

I’m new as well to the scene, but I can say that everyone will say skip the cx and spend the extra 20-30 bucks to get the lx model.

20" is what I learned on, but I like the 24" much better for just cruising around the neighborhood. Like has been said many times, you will end up having one of each size eventually :slight_smile:

So the lx is worth the extra money and considering I plan on using it most for cruising around the neighborhood or campus I should go with a 24" wheel. If there’s nothing else that looks like a problem I will most likely get the Torker Unistar LX 24" within the next few days. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

good decision.

+1.

The lx is going to be a good choice for cruising around. What about the 26" version? It’s a bit more of a learning curve, but if you really just want to ride it, and aren’t too concerned with tricks you might enjoy the speed gain from the larger wheel.

After I learn to ride it well I will probably want to start learning tricks, so should I get a 20" wheel to learn on/have for tricks later and then maybe get a 26" when I have more money to cruise on? This way there will be a bigger difference in the sizes than if I were to get a 24" and then one day buy a 20" or something larger.

then buy a 20" lx. maybe later you will want to upgrade to 36 or 29 even.

If you read a lot of posts on the Torkers you’ll see that the LX is a much better uni than the CX, but that neither are great for hops and drops. So, if by tricks you mean hops and drops you’ll want a more robust build. If you plan on doing freestyle tricks like wheel walking then the LX is nicely suited.

Ok I am going to order the 20" LX. If I get good enough I will buy different cycles in the future suited towards certain things like hops and drops or cruising.

I’m new like AntiEvan. Got a starter Uni (bought it on CraigsList for $50) and I’m looking at buying a new ride. I’m working toward MUni. Should I be looking at 20, 24 or 29 for MUni? I know everybody says the bigger wheel will be a harder to learn on (I’m still learning), but I’d like to get a nicer uni now and I’d rather get something that will work for MUni.

Thoughts???

Nimbus 26"

or whatever you want :slight_smile:

dont buy a 20" for muni. not fun at all. you can wait until you can ride before you buy it.

dont woory about the uni being too big, you can get used to it.

Just riding across grass makes this a very obvious conclusion

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll see if I can tough it out a little longer on the current uni til I develop some skill. In the meantime I’ll look at Nimbus 26"

Depends on what kind of Muni riding you want to do and how fast you want to go:

24" with 3" wide tire -> hardcore technical, big rocks, ledges, roots, slowest
26" -> cross-country with some mild technical, faster
29" -> easiest cross-country, fire-road riding, the fastest

I would not get a 20" for Muni. You can do trials on rocks and stuff but for distance riding it’s very slow.

I mostly ride a 24" Muni with a 3" wide tire and 170mm cranks as I tend to prefer the more technical rocky/rooty stuff and don’t really mind going slow. The fat 3" tire helps absorb the bumps better than a skinnier tire you would typically see on a larger uni like a 29" and the smaller wheel size gives you more leverage. But the tire is heavier and the smaller wheel size makes it slower.

I also have a 29" with 125mm cranks that is good for fast off-road. You could start with some 150mm cranks on a 29" and have something that is not too hard to ride for a beginner. When I was 6 months into riding I found that combo to be very ridable off-road, right off the bat.

I’ve not tried a 26" yet but I hear good things about them.

It Depends…

Unibabyguy,
Thanks for the info. That broke it down for me quite nicely. I was wondering why I would pick a 29 vs a 24 (or 26). Based on what you explained, I think the 26 is right for me. I am mostly a cross-country kind of guy (on mtb anyways), and while I want to try some of the technical, I dont think I will be launching myself off of cliffs anytime soon (at least not on purpose).