A new adventure! (learning how to uni)

Haha. Once you start doing things like idling and other tricks, take plenty notes for us. You’re learning ridiculously fast!

Eh, maybe not that fast. Just went out and couldn’t hardly freemount. Tired maybe.

Been looking for tires out there too and it’s pretty slim pickins. Thinking maybe I’ll just get a Holy Roller and call it good.

If you’re tired you’re tired. You’re on like day 3 and freemounting and up to 25 revs. That’s awesome =)

One thing that may help on freemounts is right after you mount, look forward and just pedal away. You can adjust your feet, seat, etc. in those first few revs.

Where are you looking to get the tires from? I kinda wanna try a Hookworm but not sure where to look for the 24 one.

Amazon has them, but I may try to find em somewheres else. Still looking for a smaller MTB tire but sadly, that seems to be impossible. May also look at a Kenda Small Block Eight, or Schwalbe Table Top…

Well, todays best was a freemount with 32 revs. However, I’m just about to the point of not even counting anymore. I can just about ride wherever I want and freemount the first or second try. I’m a little shakey on turns still, but definitley getting better. Galthro, you were right on with the freemounts, as soon as I started looking at my pedals first, then looking up right after, my success rate went through the roof comparatively.

Just some food for thought:
Check your seat! Every once in a while I could hear a small click when I’d freemount. Couldn’t figure it out until tonight, noticed my handle was a little loose. When I went in to tighten it up (no big deal) I noticed the screws holding the seat to the seat post were all loose. Very quickly tightened them up.

To tighten them, I removed my seatpost, and noticed that either the plastic in my seat is very slightly twised, or the weld/seat mount is very slightly twisted. This hasn’t impaced my riding at all, and may have been my eyes playing tricks, as the amount was so small that I’m not sure it was really there.

For a minute, I thought my wheel was crooked, but I think the tread on my tire is. Wasn’t quite centered with my frame and I almost had a heart attack thinking, “Oh my god, I haven’t even hopped yet!” But when I spin the wheel, and measured clearences, everything looked fine.

Upgrades:
Once I get just a little better (maybe hop and idle) I’m gonna be doing some upgrades too. I’m going to get a more aggressive tire, as well as some Venture Cranks (moments just arent worth it to me as I’ll probably be getting a muni or coker in the next year). I wouldn’t mind some Twisted PC pedals, and UDC has a cowhide saddle that I think is awesome. :smiley: Either that or a free ride (I guess)…

free ride and twisted PCs are the stuff

That sounds great! I’m jealous already of your skill! :smiley:

Let us know what tire you get when you do, curious about what to put on other than this kenda.

Great to read about so much improvement. Haha, unicycling is getting funnier every ride. The more you can use it the more you enjoy even short rides.

Greetings

Byc

Congrats on your progress. I’m only 10 months into the skill myself. You’ll find that this sport has almost unlimited potential. When first starting out, the trick is just to learn how to ride in a forward motion. Once you can do that for miles, you’ll find there are thousands and thousands of other challenges you can find for yourself on one wheel. I think most people who come to Unicycling voluntarily will rarely ever leave the sport, because almost everyone who wants to ride UNI has the basic goal of wanting to challenge themselves and their physical limits. Do a few youtube searches and you will soon realize that there are no limits with UNI.

Ha, tell me about it. I keep thinking of all the skills I want to learn just for getting around the house, and the list keeps getting longer! Idling, hopping, drops, etc.

Today I learned that roll back mounting sucks. That’s what I’ve been doing all along and getting fairly good at it, but once I tried a static mount, it was much much easier. Now instead of worrying about getting the mount, I can worry about what I’m trying to actually learn.

I’ve only been in this for a week but I have a sneaky suspicion that this will be a lifelong hobby. I also think I’m going to be saving up for a Nimbus Drak or similar XC uni… I’m going to be putting some spare change away while I’m learning on my 24.

Then again, a Coker would be soooooo cool! I know one thing though, and that’s that I want a bigger wheel… :smiley:

Thanks for the good words guys!