55+ Ride-Your-Age

It’s a pretty damned good outcome - the lighting and perspective, not to mention the balance of the pic make it pretty good and not easily picked as a fake. Though it does look a little like a boys club - why aren’t there more women on unis?

I wonder if there is anyone on an antarctic base that has a uni with them? That’s be something special to add.

Request for ‘mature’ women unicyclists

I have sent out an APB pleading for any 55+ women unicyclists to submit a photo of themselves for inclusion in the group photo. I reckon there are a few dude-ette’s out there and hope they feel inspired to join in.

I’m just a youthful 50 year old female. 4 years and 2 months to go until I can join your fossil faction. It’s nice to know that I’m not “mature” yet:D.

Not being sexist, discriminating or chauvinistic but…

Well I think perhaps the ‘rules’ should be altered. I propose that the 55+ rating applies to men and 50+ should be the rating for women. After all, we see this sort of thing in our society where, for example, the retirement age for women is 60 but for men its 65. Any other ‘mature’ person wish to support this proposal?

Try for Equality in Rider Numbers

This is a good idea. The population numbers are against us for a strict age-equality policy. After all, our aim is to promote the sport for older people so it is better to seek equality in rider numbers instead. I have extra unneeded growth rings to lend if there were a way to do it!:smiley:

Monocyclism sent me a message inviting me to be the first “mature” lady in the picture. I am very honored to be given a geriatric handicap to the 55+ club. I will have to dig around and see if there is a suitable picture of me and my unicycle. If not I’ll get one taken. I hope some other 50+ female types will join in as well.

Interesting thing to note about the picture: none of us could boast about bulging “beer muscles” (though unicycling leads me to gulp big amounts of beer)
may be Homer Simpson should join the OGOOWs (Old Geezers On One Wheel).
A fortnight ago I represented the OGOOWs at ELSBET2010 a Muni event in Lichtenstein: the first day I made the mistake of joining a group a bit too technically advanced for me (they had to wait for the old bear) but the second day I was in a group with a more sedate pace and I was far from being ridiculous (I compensate lack of technique by leg strength and stubbornness : “never 2 tired”). Muni is pure joy!

Articles sought

I’m in awe of anyone who can ride their age. The longest distance ride I’ve done is 12 miles.

I think the experience would make good material for an article. Anyone interested in writing one? We pay $60 for original articles and $25 for reprints.

For guidelines as to length, refer to this one. We’re also interested in product reviews.

post 50

It may be a little late now, but I am female and I was 52 when these posts were made. I am now 54. I know several female unicyclists that are over 50 or maybe even 55 now, that are in the Twin Cities Unicycle Club in Minnesota. Better late than never, even if now this may never be read.

Not Too Late

Not at all too late. We were getting desperate for women in 55+ so lowered the barrier to 50+. This thread is very much alive just like us, cough, hack.

Three easy steps:

1. Find suitable picture
  2. Send to Geoff Bond
  3. Admire photo when it is published

We will admire it too.:slight_smile:

We should admit females down to age 18.:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be 55 in October!

Wow I just turned 55. I’ve been following this thread thinking that I was going to find a ride 55 miles long, ride it, report on it and video document it. I was even making my plans on where to do it, etc. Now I find that the ride your age club photo is not a ride your age achievement, instead it is only a mature age club photo collection. I am dissapointed, don’t know if I even want to give a long distance ride a try anymore.

Please clarify your position.

Have you read the first post in this thread?

Basically riders are encouraged to post news of their rides – and in distances other than miles. Personally I record my riding distances in miles but there isn’t any reason why someone shouldn’t record their riding distance in, say, furlongs, metres or even feet! Perhaps you disagree?

Sure enough it depends on the enthusiasm of individuals to submit their ride details but I think there are several posts in this thread that include reference to distances being ridden. The group photo was a basic, and fun, initiative to highlight individuals who are unicycling as they get older or more ‘mature’ riders. The idea being that we could actually see the people who were, or would, post details of their rides. I’m sure you would agree that this thread can only encourage people to ride their age (in any measurement of their choice). The group photo is intended to generate enthusiasm, social camaraderie about riding – because at our ages we are civilised right?

You mention you have been following this thread - so I am puzzled that you are disappointed at this time. I assume you been reading the other posts and that it is not a surprise to you what is going within it? Well it would be great if you could contribute – because I feel there is a unique bunch of people here to be riding through their 50’s, 60’s and even into 70’s. Why not go ahead with your distance ride and let us read about it here?

I am purely speaking from personal opinion but I trust this offers clarification.

History of +55

I agree with Geoff Bond that this is mainly about encouraging older riders to keep at it and share their experiences. The picture originally showed people who had ridden their age in some unit of measurement, but may have drifted. The three guys on the left have ridden their age. Not sure about the others or their names. Perhaps Geoff could list them.

I started the first +55 thread in “just conversation” by mistake. In retrospect I should have killed it right away and started over. Too late now. Still, it has worked fairly well and has brought me several e-friends, considerable enjoyment and inspiration.

As merely a “furlong capable” rider, I enjoy reading about the exploits of those who can manage kilometers or miles. I don’t see the need to be too fussy.

Good, soon I will send a picture and hopefully join the mature riders club and ride a distance of some units of 55 (maybe furlongs, but I don’t know what furlongs are really) just because I want to and share the ride somewhat with all of you.

Excellent! Look forward to hearing about your exploits!

For those who unicycle in pedestrian precincts, on badly maintianed paving, up hills, off road and so forth, they are doing it tougher than, say, what most of my riding is (nice asphalt cycle paths), so any decent distance is a laudatory achievement. And some people make it a little esaier with a geared hub and bars. There is no absolute fair test. Cut usall some slack JBAB.

I’m a serious commuter. I have done over 2,500km so far this year and expect to top 5000km. Yet I have never managed my age in km in a single day and have never even tried to. I feel no shame. It’d be an all day event and my family won’t give me that much time to spare on a weekend.

As it happens I DID do the necessary distance in a 24 hr period but only by happenstance.

It was a long ride across city and river to my occasional Sunday cycle polo - that was a big ride in itself, with lots of awkward suburban paved paths and crosswalks and pedestrians and stuff. Then the polo itself added 10km (I have a trip meter). And then a ride back but only as far as the city for the train. A little more from local station to home. That is still around 13km short of my age. But by chance I did my optional extra-distance ride in to work the next morning which added enough with a few km to spare.

Other than gloating to the cycle crazies at work that day, I never gave much thought to it at the time. It was only on reflection months later that I realised that I had ridden my age, at least over a 24 hr period. That’s good enough by me. Unless I start using larger wheels and a geared hub, it is unlikely to happen again.

For those who unicycle in pedestrian precincts, on badly maintianed paving, up hills, off road and so forth, they are doing it tougher than, say, what most of my riding is (nice asphalt cycle paths), so any decent distance is a laudatory achievement. And some people make it a little esaier with a geared hub and bars. There is no absolute fair test. To me it is enough that uniycyclists get in and amoung the community and demonstrate an extra transport and recreation option. I’d love to see the day that I could expect to bump into other uniycyclists moving about.

I’m a serious commuter. I have done over 2,500km so far this year and expect to top 5000km. Yet I have never managed my age in km in a single day and have never even tried to. I feel no shame. It’d be an all day event and my family won’t give me that much time to spare on a weekend.

As it happens I DID do the necessary distance in a 24 hr period but only by happenstance.

It was a long ride across city and river to my occasional Sunday cycle polo - that was a big ride in itself, with lots of awkward suburban paved paths and crosswalks and pedestrians and stuff. Then the polo itself added 10km (I have a trip meter). And then a ride back but only as far as the city for the train. A little more from local station to home. That is still around 13km short of my age. But by chance I did my optional extra-distance ride in to work the next morning which added enough with a few km to spare.

Other than gloating to the cycle crazies at work that day, I never gave much thought to it at the time. It was only on reflection months later that I realised that I had ridden my age, at least over a 24 hr period. That’s good enough by me. Unless I start using larger wheels and a geared hub, it is unlikely to happen again.

btw, for those put off distance by discomfort and rashes, I fit a piece of (merino) sheepskin and it works a treat.

Well, I’m so close to 55, so I wanted to put my latest riding accomplishment here!

With just one week left before my century, I did my last long training ride today at 75 solid miles! Started at dawn, about 15 minutes before actual sunrise, to get a good start on the day. I averaged about 11 mph, and finished the first 50 miles in 4.5 hours! The remaining 25 was a bit slower due to riding in traffic for about 12 miles, and the rest on crowded beach bike path.

This was my longest ride to date; I really wanted to do a good percentage of the whole ride so there wouldn’t be any surprises, and also to know that I can do it! My longest previous ride was 50 miles, about a year ago.

On this ride I fought pretty strong head winds for 14 miles at the very beginning of my ride, then again on the final 12 miles back. I felt better than expected and tried to do everything right like eating about 200 calories every hour, and drinking regularly, whether I felt thirsty or not.

I did have two pretty scary falls; one early on after hitting a dip that I didn’t see, and scraped up my elbow a bit. So now with just one week remaining before my official uni-century, I feel much more confident that I can do it, having done 75 without too much problem. Based on the diameter of the 36er wheel, I pedaled about 42,000 revolutions! (and now that I’m back home, my legs are feeling the result! But it’s the “good” kind of pain, lol!) :smiley:

These pics were from mile 35, 50, 65 and 75.

NIce work muniaddict. Had to do the conversions in your post.So your aiming to ride 120km. Thats great! 100km is a qualifying ride for ride the lobster isnt it? and you averaged around 17.7kmph on the first 80km.Good stuff! Have fun doing the 120km and good luck. Most I have ridden is 45km on my 29. Id like to do a 100km ride one day…