36er tyres - which is best?

I rode my Coker for several years with the stock tire and then after trying a NYUC club member’s Coker with the TA tire, I immediately switched to the TA tire because I found it to be significantly smoother. I even wrote a review of the tire that I posted here:

Wheel TA 36-inch Street Tire Review

I believe I was probably a bit hasty in writing that review and probably should have waited until I had logged more time on the TA tire, however, because now - after riding the TA tire for quite a while - I realize that I definitely prefer the Coker tire.

The two main reasons I don’t like the TA tire (for my particular style of riding) are:

1. It has worse traction on wet roads
  2. It sometimes feels unstable to me when making very aggressive, banked turns

If you ride somewhat cautiously in the rain (like most normal people would), the TA tire is probably ok on wet pavement… and if you make standard turns (not really leaned over), the TA tire is fine and you may prefer it over the Coker tire because of the smoothness of the ride.

I think the problem with the TA tire in aggressively banked turns is the profile of the tire. The TA tire has ridges (for lack of a better term) on both sides of the tire and I think that probably accounts for the unstable feeling I get when I abruptly put the Coker into a heavily leaned turn…. it’s almost like a squishy feeling – which I never got on the Coker tire. I’m definitely going to sacrifice the smoother ride of the TA tire and switch back to my trusty Coker tire :D.