36er frame round up

Yeah, it’s basically that one - although as it was supplied with super wide hub, I had always assumed it was a separate production run. Maybe they just bent them.

Yes, that’s basically it :wink: The frame works just fine, I’m basically trying to discern why anybody would use a more expensive frame - particularly the Nimbus since a) it’d be easy to fit on the superwide hub and b) if it’s so flexy then why would people use it at all?

That’s quite interesting… Brakes on my 36er are unlikely to happen soon so I guess I wouldn’t mind ruling them out permanently. There just aren’t any hills anywhere near here that would warrant brakes. It’s all basically reclaimed land so it’s flat as a pancake that’s been run over.

Shouldn’t V frames be better for this sort of force? Or does the skinny tubing just cancel it out.

I might just do that. Last time I tried to arrange powder coating it turned out ridiculously expensive but I think these days I’d have more options as UDC in the UK can get it done at a sensible price.

Did you have a particular reason to make the switch? For weight? Schlumpf compatibility? Or just with an all-new uni anyhow?

I really like my Nimbus frame, I like the fact that it takes a wider hub than the KH frame, it makes me feel safer to have a wheelbuild that is theoretically stonger because of the wide hub.

Ah - that’s the sort of nugget of information I was hoping for. I do use a short handlebar - a stock T7 - and the only real force I put into it is downwards. Steering is either using pressure on the seat or movement of my body weight.

I guess that must put a loan of torsion through the frame, in which case stiffness is a bonus… But even then, is the torsional rigidity any better on the Nimbus frame than the stock “circus”-style steel frame with big tubes?

I’m in a slightly unfortunate position (in a way) in that all of my unis have the same style of frame (although in different sizes) so I’ve got no straightforward way of measuring the tradeoffs myself.

I own a Coker V2 frame and have had no problems with it (only the stock screws, which rusted out!). It is very rigid both torsionally and side-to-side, but it’s definitely not a frame for a weight weenie. Other people have hit their knees on the crown, but this does not happen to me unless I really try to tilt my knees inward. I especially love the advantage of being able to thread my bike lock through the frame.

This is what I want! It was built by Ed Mosimann of “creative Geckos” years ago, for Bronson Silva, who no longer owns it. It was/is one of a kind, and if I knew who currently owned it, I’d offer a good price for it!

More cool pics of it here.

Hey Terry, I’m thinking that frame would twist quite a bit since it’s just bolted together, but it does look cool. Some folks have done some cool mods like that with a traditional frame, maybe you could work something up with your 36er?

So, is the conclusion that the KH or Triton are the stiffest laterally, while the Impulse/Nightrider resist torsion the best?

My first 36" was a Coker Deluxe from UDC in 2002. Still have it, still love it. Then in early 2008, Coker sort of gave me one of their new unicycles to test and write about, which I did (in On One Wheel and here). It came with both options of frame, crank length and seatpost. I used it for my RTL qualifying rides, and eventually had it set up for MUni riding.

But ever since the Schlumpf became available, I wanted one. Actually it was years before that, but nothing was on the market. I geared up my giraffe way back in 1980 so I had experience with what the ride would feel like in high gear. Anyway, I finally got mine gathered and ordered, and took delivery last June. In theory, it’s well suited to road and MUni with its KH version of the hub. So I sold the “new” Coker at U Games. Now I’m down to two (plus my old 45" from 1982).

It is supposed to weigh only a bit more than a Nimbus frame, but I don’t know the exact numbers. I still have that frame in my garage though (for sale!), but no bearing caps. If you’re not tall, your legs might brush or bang the wide frame. The brake is well protected on the inside, and if you use a bike lock on your unicycle, it’s the frame you want!

Me too, if I didn’t recently have Bronson make me my current sweet road ride. That old “concept unicycle” is the coolest 36er ever, in my book. The seat is cantilevered on a titanium bar, which is its suspension system. The cranks can be dialed to various sizes, probably quickly, with tools you would carry along with you. And it looks way cool. A shame I never actually saw it in person! :frowning:

The Coker V2 is probably the stiffest. But the Triton and KH are probably plenty stiff for any normal purposes.