3" Duro

Hey all, any pics of the 3" Duro tire?

Anyone riding these? How do they compare to the Gazz?

If no pics avail, could someone please describe any colours on it? rid stripe, yellow labels, etc…

Re: 3" Duro

In article <Sofa.p2s0c@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Sofa <Sofa.p2s0c@timelimit.unicyclist.com> writes:
>
> Hey all, any pics of the 3" Duro tire?

This is one:

>
> Anyone riding these? How do they compare to the Gazz?
>

I’ve been riding one for a couple of weeks. I had some trouble
with how it tracked at first - It really wanted to go left. I
turned it around (so it goes the wrong way around) and put more
pressure in it. It’s fine now.

I have ridden a Gazz for a grand total of 2 minutes, so I’m no
real judge, other than to say that in those 2 minutes I didn’t
notice any difference in the feel.

> If no pics avail, could someone please describe any colours on it? rid
> stripe, yellow labels, etc…
>

Mine’s all black. Darren’s pricelist didn’t mention colours.

============================================================
Gardner Buchanan <gbuchana@rogers.com>
Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

i have one of these, its rebadged as the Halo Contra tyre, it’s all black, and i dont think you can get any other colours, although it does say Halo Contra in white, although mine has turned Gold from dirt.
It rides well, gives plenty of traction, and easy to turn, but then again, i have never ridden a Gazz so i cannot compare. If you pump up the pressure it seems to fare ok on the street aswell, due to its rounder profile.
pics, while on my uni:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq40

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:19:12 -0500, Sofa
<Sofa.p2s0c@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Hey all, any pics of the 3" Duro tire?
I have a UDC Max Traction with Halo Contra 24 x 3" tyre. This tyre is
identical to the Duro Wildlife Leopard, in fact both names are on the
tyre. A few pics are here: <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/beest_photos.htm>.

>How do they compare to the Gazz?
This question has been asked a couple of times on the forum, with
little or no response at all. My next tyre will be the Gazz to find
out for myself. But that may take some time. I’ve ridden the Halo for
about 9 months now but it is holding up surprisingly well.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“661, neighbourhood of the Beast”

Mine’s a Halo Contra too, I’ve never used a Gazz.

I really like the Halo it’s great off road and, after a couple weeks riding when it’s worn down a bit, I find it good for the streets as well.

Judging by what a lot of people have posted about the Gazz being really bad on roads, I’d say that the Halo is probably better for the road.

thanks all, it’s for a guy in the club. I was just curios aboiut if it had a specific colour on it, a particular colour of frame might suit it well.

Looks like any colour goes :slight_smile:

Hi,

here is a pic of a 3.0 Duro …

Roland

Klaas Bil wrote:
>>How do they compare to the Gazz?
>
> This question has been asked a couple of times on the forum, with
> little or no response at all.

I suspect the problem is few people have enough experience of both tyres
to pass useful comment. I started out with the Contra and changed to the
Gazz. I prefer the Gazz because the square profile gives me more
confidence on steep downhills. My technique is often tentative and the
extra traction helps prevent me sliding. As I’ve said before, I should
really just improve my technique. That said, the extra confidence of the
Gazz is helping me do just that. Maybe when the Gazz dies I’ll put the
Contra back on and see how it fares.

Oh yeah, the Gazz seems to soak up bumps and drops better than the
Contra too.

Regards,
Mark.

3" Duro

i have ridden both the Gazz and the Duro, both were great for me but the Gazz didn’t hold well on road (getting to the trail), and that it is over double the price (in canada where i live). i am buying a new MUni soon and i am buying the Duro with it to save money, eventho the Gazz is a bit better its not wort the price over the Duro.

U’rs truely Waldo

PING manic_mark

Hey Manic_Mark…Where’d you get those awesome pedals?

From most of the posts I’ve read on this subject there seems to be a consensus that the Gazz is really bad on roads, while the Contra/Duro is only mildly bad, due probably to its lighter weight and rounder profile.

Over here in UK the Gazz is £30 and the Contra £20.

Although pretty much everyone who has posted about the Gazz being bad on roads has been people who have only tried them briefly, for like a week or so. Once you get used to the gazz, they’re okay on road, as good as anything else that is that good offroad. A lot of people seem to go from a very rounded tyre to a very square gazz and then not like it because it rides very differently initially.

Joe

joemarshall

Although pretty much everyone who has posted about the Gazz being bad on roads has been people who have only tried them briefly, for like a week or so. Once you get used to the gazz, they’re okay on road, as good as anything else that is that good offroad. A lot of people seem to go from a very rounded tyre to a very square gazz and then not like it because it rides very differently initially.

That’s interesting, I’ve seen so many posts dissing the Gazz on roads and my experience with the 3" Contra was that it was O.K.
At first I was puzzeled by this but then came to the coclusion that the Gazz must be quite a different tyre.

Now you mention it, it could just as well be that they didn’t give it long enough the get used to it (my last Contra felt bad for the first couple days riding).

Can anyone add to this i.e. those people who’ve posted about the Gazz being not too good on roads, has your opinion changed with more riding time?

i ride the gazz on road about 2 to 3 hrs a week, and it works great for me. the only other tire i’ve had time on (about 8 hrs) was on the kh 24 muni (taiwan). that’s a totally different feel. not really too sure what it was. could it be his kh saddle vs my miyata air or was it his tire vs my gazz on doublewides and profiles. let’s just say that i was sooo happy to get mine back from him. therefore, i love the gazz on the road–i’d buy another gazz.

This is great, I thought I was the only one who liked riding 3" knobblies on the road!
Anyone else?

Most of my riding with a 3" contra used to be to campus or town and back. The contra was good for that as it was easy to turn, and faster than a gazz. However the wear on the knobbles I wasn’t too keen on, so I now have a fireball for that kind of riding; takes a bit of getting used to turning but is much faster and has no knobbles to wear out. The contra goes back on whenever I’m going for a muni.

Phil