29 inner tube on a 36

Where did you get that, and you’re weighing it in the box? The packaging is different too.

@UniGeezer Terry - I think it is your direct recommendation for this tube :joy:

I saw that when you posted and felt this weight was crazy low.

I hope it holds up nicely and ends up being THE 36” tube

I know you used a Vee tube on your Braus rim. Was it a heavier version?

It seems the aforementioned 28" tube is 166g :open_mouth:

1 Like

FYI I ordered one of these tubes back in September from Performance Bike and have been waiting ever since. The expected date increases by 1 month every month. Maybe this time the date is real, but I’m not holding my breath.

My vee tire 36er tube weighs about 0.34kg (12oz) but the original 36er tube - which I still have - is a whopping 0.71kg (1.5lbs!).

Checking online again the only place I could find that has the Vee Tire 36 inch inner tube is linked below, although it is more expensive then the other sites that are out of stock at the moment. I called this company they said they have 10 in stock at the moment. I offered to buy all 10 if they could match the price of the other websites, but they said they couldn’t lower the price. Anyway, they are in stock here and they currently have 10 left:

I think a tube weighing 0.34g would actually float away into the sky if you don’t weigh it down… :wink:

1 Like

Haha, thanks for letting me know the mistake. It’s been corrected.

2 Likes

Your original 36er tube is still 0.71g though? :wink:

After actually weighing the aforementioned recommended 28" tube, it’s 129g!

Haha, I just saw that mistake too, thanks!

Are you sure ? Mine (700 37/45mm) is180g

1 Like

Ooh, no actually it looks like they sent me the wrong one.

Thanks for trying cause we know US Americans don’t do metric!

Now for the bonus to get to full marks… convert your kilogram figures to grams!! (Hint… move the decimal point 3 places to the right).

Reason for the comment, if something is less than 1 kilo, its better/more natural to state the weight in grams. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually Americans use a lot more metric measurements than you’d think. We use the same electrical and frequency measurements as you do. We’re used to beverages in 1 and 2 liter sized bottles, alcohol in 750ml bottles, tools and ammunition denominated in millimeters and I think most of us have a good idea of how far a kilometer is or how long a cm or meter is. If you say something’s 2m long most of us know that’s about 6’. For 100m we’re envisioning 100 yards or a football fields length… What most Americans can’t relate to easily are Celsius temperatures, people’s height in centimeters or weight in kilos, fuel prices in liters or efficiency figures in km/l. I took a couple years of engineering in college and I married a foreigner, so I’ve probably got a better handle on metric measure than 90% of Americans, but I’ve accustomed myself to doing quick conversions in my head more than actually thinking in metric. When I think in imperial units, it’s instant and intuitive and generally pretty accurate. I could probably tell you someone’s height to within an inch and their weight to within 10 lbs just by looking at them. When I think in metric things are a lot more fuzzy, like when I mentioned 2m being about 6 feet. Well, that’s true, but the difference between someone 183cm tall and someone 200cm tall is massive.

2 Likes

Thanks for the post. I’m Australian. I feel pretty ok with inches and feet and miles (we get used to it with unicycle wheel sizes, human heights, road distances), less ok with Fahrenheit (I suppose, 70 Fahrenheit is comfortable, 21 degrees celcius is comfortable, 40 Celsius is very hot day for Sydney and so is 100 degrees Fahrenheit). Where I live, we don’t get anywhere near minus Celsius or Fahrenheit so all of that is foreign to me :slight_smile:

I’m clueless with gallons and any other similar measures (eg. ounces) you have.
We don’t talk pounds but I go with the conversion of 1 kilo has 2 pounds. I encountered pounds a bit in Hong Kong.
And, we rarely see stones except on some weight scales (7 kilos (well, Google says 6.35) = 1 stone).

Oh, and USAians tip as a rule at restaurants. We don’t as a general rule. And our sales taxes are always included in the published prices so we never have to do mental calculations of that.

1 Like

To throw an extra spanner (wrench?) in the works, here we usually express fuel efficiency as litres/100km. 5L/100km is pretty efficient, and lower is better.

2 Likes

A gallon is just under 4 liters and a quart is just under 1 liter. The rest of the volume measurements are probably more trouble than they’re worth to learn unless you’re planning on emigrating. Fahrenheit temperatures are actually a lot more logical than they would seem. He pegged 0 degrees as the coldest temperature that area of Europe would commonly experience and 100 degrees as the hottest. Where I live, Tacoma Washington, it’s not too different. 100 degrees is about the hottest summer day we get and maybe 18 degrees is the coldest in the winter. It’s a real world kind of calibration and not nearly as arbitrary as it might look.

I hop around to all different measurement systems depending on what I’m doing. For temperature, negatives and up to about boiling I do in Fahrenheit, beyond that I switch to Celsius for soldering because that’s the units commonly used for that. For distance: driving or unicycling I do miles, flying or sailing nautical miles, sailing close to buoys/markers yards, smaller than one foot I’ll do in inches but smaller than one inch I’ll go to millimeters because that’s how most small parts for electronics or remote control planes are measured in, weight up to one pound I prefer grams but over one pound I prefer pounds, I think you get the idea. Whatever I commonly see for certain things I go with.

2 Likes

Decades ago here in the US they tried changing gas stations from gallons to liters and it was an immediate and resounding flop. And just try to imagine listening the countless songs like “eight miles high” changed to “12.875 kilometers high”, or the band “Nine Inch Nails” changing their name to “22.86 centimeter Nails”. :laughing: and while were at it, why isn’t the 36er called a “914.4mm” or a 91.44c?

1 Like