29 inner tube on a 36

Carbon tends to splinter and make very fine splinters when drilled or cut into. Make sure to clean up the hole and make everything smooth again, 400 grit is what I have used on various carbon tubes for other projects to smooth them out (as carbon rims are gonna have to get a lot cheaper before I end up with one), or those splinters might end up puncturing a tube. I would also wear gloves, as it is very annoying to have those splinters in fingers for a few days while your skin attempts to digest carbon fibers and they are too small to see and remove with tweezers(ask me how I know)

1 Like

I’ve been corresponding by email with a representative from Nextie who told me that they can make a hooked version for an additional cost.

4 Likes

I would not blame the tube. I had exactly the same thing happen on a 36" stealth rim because the tire was not installed/centered correctly on the rim. When correctly installed the tube is fully contained in the tire and rim and can not burst. If the line on the tire near the rim is located the same distance from the rim all the way around the tire, all is good. If the tire is even slightly lopsided, the bead can pop off and the tube will explode out of the opening. The tube will be destroyed but it is not the fault of the tube.

Is this something where they’d need a minimum order quantity to create the flexible tooling for it, or just an additional cost per unit and something they could have as an option?

Something like an extra $50-100 per unit for a hooked version wouldn’t seem totally unreasonable for that extra peace of mind.

(Edit: Additional discussion on the carbon rim should probably go in here: Nextie 36" carbon rim)

1 Like

Michelin 700 tube is very nice, becomes longer but not larger when you inflate

3 Likes

I have made contact with Nextie and I’m awaiting a response regarding the hooked version of the rim.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nextie 36" carbon rim

With my hooked carbon rim arrival now imminent, I’m reminded that I don’t currently have a tube to use with it.

Long term I may enlarge the hole for Foss/other Schrader tubes, but at least initially I’m looking for a 29" Presta tube to use.

What tubes are recommended for that purpose these days?

I’ve heard something about Kenda ones, and Michelin ones.

Or you could order some Vee Rubber ones from the US

Terry posted this link elsewhere in the Nextie thread I think.

I’ve been toying with getting two in case I get a Braus rim

Adding to this - drilling must clearly be fine as Nextie now offer it as an option. I’d definitely go with that should I ever order one.

1 Like

I’d rather get myself a tube from the UK than deal with getting a singular one posted from the US right now.

I wouldn’t overthink it. I’ve been running whatever 29er tube my LBS had in stock (maybe Continental?) for the last few years with no problems. I’ve even removed and replaced the same tube when changing tyres.

Remember that a blowout is caused by explosive decompression, ie the tyre either being gashed or coming off the rim and therefore being unable to support the tube. If the tube fails by itself it’s rarely very exciting.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m not super concerned - I’ve previously helped a friend stretch a random 27.5" onto a 36er after a catastrophic tube failure when out on a ride (none of us had spares - 27.5" was the largest the local bike place had) and he ran it for months without issue.
It’d be nice to know which is the best to go for though if there is a best option.

3 Likes

The best from what I’ve seen on these threads of late seems to be this one:

Admittedly these are likely on the Braus rim but this brand seems to have a good reputation as was in the video above on this thread being show it inflates evenly

2 Likes

I’m using this one with my Brauss 36" CF rim

2 Likes

They’re nice and cheap so for now I’ve ordered one of those, and a slightly larger 29" version of the same.

1 Like

37-45mm is far enouth

Yeah, the 29" is probably destined for an old 36er with heavy TA tyre. It could do with losing some weight.

1 Like

36 inch inner tube with presta valve, and listed as 220g (about 7.5oz). $8.99 at performance bike. Expected back in stock 2.22.22.

https://www.performancebike.com/vee-tire-co.-36-bike-unicycle-inner-tube-presta-2.25-40mm-bu0343/p1306109?v=536297&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxc6PBhCEARIsAH8Hff3o6TToQ_7aJ4ANcQzkKmfW14AFqR2dIXoOai-iQ3t9dCt1pTjHiWQaApq3EALw_wcB

1 Like

I wonder if that’s a new “superlight” tube? The one I just received from BicycleBuys is 324 grams not including the cardboard box.

2 Likes