29" Discussion thread

Thanks for sharing Augustdreamt

You look so happy in the picture.

Thanks for sharing
Here is a recent shot of my 29"

The frame was powder coated Creamsicle orange.
This picture is missing my handgrips, rear flasher and reflective tape.

bar_uni.JPG

You probably could. I am 5’2" (with disproportionately short legs) and i have the N36. The frame has just been shortened slightly at the top to fit me and I ride with 125mm cranks.

How did you shorten it Cathy ?

Just curious?

Do you also have a T7 handle as well ?

Yes, sorry. I keep forgetting about that. The ordinary N36 frame would have fitted without adaption. I needed it adapting because I have the T7 handle. It was done at UDC UK but I think Roger sawed an inch or two off the top of the frame where the seat post goes in.

I might be a bit behind the times, but does riding one footed ever have a purpose besides showing off ??

I was riding some MUni one time and the left crank fell off cause of a loose bolt. luckily it was near the end of the single track trail and the path back to my house was paved asphalt. So I one-footed it back.

Heh, fair enough. I suppose “EVER” is a pretty strong word!

size of 29"???

i recently got a bike computer and for it to be of any real use to me i need to know the size of a 29" wheel.
I know this seems to be a pretty stupid question but my tire says 700cc so i’m not sure which it is

thanks in advance -jim

Hey, now that the snow is melting I want to do some mUni. Who here does 29" Muni? Any tips? Also, I was gonna replace my pedals - right now I have the CRAPPY LX pedals on my AX 29". I was thinking either Snafus, twisted aluminums, or just the DX pedals. Any recommendations?

Glad to see another trail rider with a Torker AX 29. I’m waiting for mine to arrive and itching to hit the trails. UniCross season is only 7 months away! I look forward to hearing how it treats you on the trails!

I don’t really know what’s good pedalwise and such. I’m just getting to know this stuff myself. For my 36" I went to my LBS and came out with some Wellgos.

Muni in the snow

There’s nothing like riding in the snow, why wait for the snow to melt?

I use my kenda Klaw tire, have snafu pedals, KH fusion freeride seat.

Did 20km back woods, fields, stream, what a blast.

We’ve had so much snow and freezing rain mix, its just a winter wonderland for trail riding.

someone probably said this already, but I didn’t read all 11 pages. anyway, I think the best part about 29ers is that they’re becoming realy popular for mtn bikers right now, so we can expect to see all kinds of cool treads available in the near future.

i have a 20" torker lx that i use for crusing arround, basic trials stuff and some more technical muni riding (i live in houston texas so the trails here are not so well kept and they’re bayou trails with lots of roots, bumps some mud) the 20" is great because its small and manuverable for all the twists and turns and negotiating roots but im an adrennaline junkie and im looking to go alot faster.

i want a 29" nimbus but i was wondering if anyone has one and uses it for muni and also, what kind of learning curve is there from a 20" to a 29"

I dunno, I sort of find it hard to ride in foot-deep snow…

New 29er! No skin left on elbow!

Just got my KH 29er on Wednesday from UDC.

After getting some bolts for the bearing caps (none supplied) I took it on the road out front of my house.

After 4 or 5 failed freemounts I hit it spot on and can now frremount everytime.

However, I have had a couple of UPD’s which cost my left elbow a lot of skin. I was wearing sixsixone pads too!

I was wondering about dismounts. On my Nimbus ISIS Trials 20" I can just get off to standing but with the upd’s on my new KH29 I fell forward onto my hands and knees. (I’m well kitted up with wrist & palm guards too, so no damage there)

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding getting off?

Also I noticed it was pulling to the right when riding, could this be the camber of the road or is it just me not being used to the larger wheel.

At the moment I have Moment 150’s on the 29 but when I get more proficient I might swap them over so my 20 has 150’s and my 29" has 127’s. Any suggestions on this idea?

You’re 4 1/2 inches higher than normal and it’s causing you to misjudge your landing. Dismounting a 29 is not atall difficult, maybe try dismounting at increasing speeds on purpose to get the measure of it. Of course a 29 is capable of going over running speeds so some UPDs are going to be impossible to come out of on your foot.

I find the kenda klaw does tend to pull quite heavily on road camber, especialy if you don’t have it pumped up hard. It doesn’t do it on loose ground though.

I can’t tell you anything about 29ers, but my experience with 20 inchers tells me that 150s on that small a wheel might be a bit long… I know I hit my 137s on the ground a lot on my KH20. But if it works, do it. Don’t let people like me dissuade you.

127s will make a noticeable difference to the way your 29er rides, and you should definitely put them on if you plan on doing distance. Of course, if you ever try any muni then the 150s are what you want.

If the uni is pulling in one particular direction, it is likely that it is the camber of the road like you said - unless of course you have this trouble everywhere you ride…which could mean your seat is not straight.

The pulling in one direction could be down to a few things (road camber, tyre choice, type pressure) already mentioned, but most likely it’s down to the rider. You may well have been pulling slightly to the right on your 20", but that is nice and easy to compensate for. Moving up to a 29er amplifies this so it’ll become a lot more noticeable. But the good news is that the more you ride the better it’ll be.

The same is true of your dismounts. Ride a bit more and dismount a bit more, and all of them (including the pretty fast ones you had no idea were coming up) will leave you on your feet.

Oh, and welcome to the 29" club!

STM

Thanks guys & girls! It’s really great to get the feedback that you experienced riders give out so freely. It is a community in the true sense of the word.

I’ve just taken my KH29 out for a run tonight around the block and I got on a lot better with it. I found that by holding the seat handle with my right hand I kept going straight, take it off and I was off to the right again. Weird.

I didn’t UPD though which was my main worry. The only thing of any note was that some snotty little teenagers shouted “Oi Fall off” Heh heh, I love how original these people are!

Thanks again fellow riders!