29" Discussion thread

More air in tires & practice

For road camber issues I found that adding air to my tires really helped.

I especially noticed the increased air presure helped for tight turns too.

Get as much practice time as you can with your 29".

Try freemounting, idleing and commuting and get as much practice as possible.

It’s a versitile unicycle.

Thanks man!

I aim to spend more and more time on the 29er as I’m doing a charity uni down a local hill (called the Wrekin) in the summer. I need to get used to it or I’m gonna die!

At the same time, I really want to land a unispin on my 20" I’ve never quite got the bottle to pull it off. I want to do everything at the same time.

Cheers for the tips, they are very much appreciated.

If this is the big hill oposite the golf course, then I’d suggest lots of practice on smaller hills, picking up a cheap set of Maguras from eBay, and life insurance. :slight_smile:

STM

Don’t worry about life insurance! My wife, who bought me a uni as a joke has now doubled up on all that jazz.

Thought about brakes a bit, are they worth it and are they difficult to use?

Did a 10km ride on Friday afternoon and it was great. Loads of positive reactions and a couple of idiotic reactions but felt more and more comfortabel all the time.

Glad I bought this now.

I would say a brake is totaly worth it but only if your doing Muni/XC down steep terain. Road riding you will probably almost never use it.

I made another 29er vid, bit of off-roading… What 29ers are made for.... on Vimeo

I’ve had my KH29 for several months now and I still haven’t worked up the nerve to try the magura brake.
I guess the trails I do aren’t that extreme.
Except for once, when I wasn’t concentrating and the uni ran away from underneath me before I could back-pedal.
And after a spectacular UPD, as I was lying on the forest floor curled up in a world of my own personal pain, I remember I thought “Hmm, maybe I should have a go at that brake thing one day.”

Haha, I use my brake quite a bit, in that vid I was braking quite a bit down most of the slopes, they were quite steep though. They are so much steeper that the vid makes them look, they were close to the limit of my climbing abilitys.

I dont think I have ever realy used my brake when riding on the road, apart from when I see how hard I can hold the break on and still ride, thats fun, feels realy cool :slight_smile:

Wow 9.7miles on my 29er!

I’m knackerd and I’ve got a saddle sore arse! I’ve just been to help a friend out with his pc and he lives 5.7miles away. I set off at 7:30pm and got there at 8:20pm. Not bad for me that.

Fixed his pc, had a lager then jumped back on my KH29er at 10:15pm. Got 4.2 miles back and I had to stop, my underkeks were chafing slightly more than I could take. Walked the reset and jst got in now.

I found I didn’t lean to the right anymore, I learnt that if i put the majority of my weight in the seat,I could get some good speed up and give my legs a bit of a rest. I also noticed that I didn’t have to hold onto the handle on the front of my saddle as much, and there was less flailing arm action.

I think it’s true that Practice makes perfect. Not that I’m perfect, but I only had one real UPD. Some roads I managed to cross without dismounting too, but cos it was dark I had to be careful.

Who knows maybe I’ll crack 15 miles next time. Thanks for your support guys!

Bob

29er muni…

Just about two weeks ago I got my Nimbus ISIS 29" from UDC.

I fell in love with it almost immediately. I use it for cruising around campus to all my classes, and riding easy trails on the weekends.

The stock 125mm cranks are great for trails, but I bought a pair of 100mm Qu-Ax cranks.

Also, I’ve swapped out the Nimbus gel for a KH Freeride, which I like a lot better.

For trails, I bought a Mountain King 29 MTB tire.

I’ve been averaging 20-30 miles per weekend on the trails, getting me some much needed exercise. I may eventually get a 36er, but I think I’ll be a part of the 29er fan club from here on out.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I love my 36 and I belong to the 29er fan club :smiley:

I officially joined the 29ers today :slight_smile:

I’ve had a KH29 boxed for the last week or so (got it as a stock clearance item) but have been enjoying the KH24 so much I didn’t want to risk spoiling any of the fun I guess! We live on the edge of a forest and jumping on the 24 and heading out into the bush is just awesome. I try to get a ride in each day, love it.

The nearest town of a few hundred people is a few km away. We’re down to one car these days, so I got the 29 as my run around vehicle, to head into the local store as well as do longer commutes for work etc. Well, that’s how I explained it to my wife anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

So I succumbed today and assembled the KH29, fitted a Big Apple tire and took it out for a few km’s… man I love it. The extra mass, momentum, smoothness and speed is bliss, and still easy to handle. Even for a tool like me mounting was no problem, straight up. I checked out both 125 and 150 crank settings - the 125’s were a hoot, but with big dirt and tar hills to climb out of where we are in every direction, I’ll probably settle on the 150’s, initially anyway. Brakes are probably going to be handy too.

I followed up with a stint on the KH24, hoping it wouldn’t feel as funky as the 20" does after the 24 (I don’t ride my 20 much at all these days, apart from occasionally inside the house to terrorize my wife, kids and pets). But man I love the 24 too, it still felt great after the stint on the 29 but I had a new and immediate sense of improved control I guess, or maybe just a far better appreciation of how nimble the 24" really is. So relative hey!

First impression is that the 29 is awesome, and that for me the KH24 and KH29 are going to be a great combination, recreation riding and practical transport too. The 29 also confirmed the nagging desire to try a 36 one day, but for now and a long while to come, I’m set.

Uni’s rock, whatever size!

Did you try any Muni on your 29 that you would usually do on your 24?

Not today as I ran out of time. My kids and I have a challenge set for this weekend - if they can get to the local store on their bikes before I can get there on the uni I buy them lunch or vice versa - another reason to get the 29 out of the box today and see how goes on the run to the store, gotta have some chance of winning :stuck_out_tongue:

Definitely tho will take the 29 muni in the next week, it should be a hoot on the fire trails but tbh I’m not in any rush, lots to enjoy and it’s early days for me re skills.

I have found that I ride best when I am WAY tired from riding. When I’m to tired to flail and tense I become loose and smooth, but then I usually wipe it cuz I’m so tired. There is a small (very small:) ) window where I ride the best ever.

I love my 29"

So far 200km on my N36 and 600km+ on my 29"

Beyond a shadow of a doubt I love my 29" more than my 36.

Why:

Much more fun and versitile
Can Muni comfortably and confidently on it.
Can idle on it.
Can commute back and for to work.
Can take long distance trip and go off roading.

If it was geared I’d be doing Ride the lobster on it.

The N36 is ok but the 29 in KING of the unicycles in my book.

Let their tyres down before you set off.

Hey, a free lunch is a free lunch.

7 mile Muni & Road Ride

Wahey! Thanks to you guys for recommending buying a cheap brake for my 29er. Got one for a tenner off ebay and used it for the first time yesterday.

My wife dropped me off at 5pm on a cold, windy cloudy afternoon up Haughmond Hill, Shrewsbury, UK. I set off to ride the 4km route around the hill but ended up walking some of it. Thick ankle deep mud just stopped me in my tracks.

There was a little uphill and most of the uphill I tried, I managed apart from the really awkward tree roots .

The brake came in especially handy on a downhill stretch where I hesitated in using it but eventually went for it.

Then I cycled home with a few motorists tooting their horns and a few kids saying positive comments about my Uni.

It was a good ride, but I’d rather do it on a dry day when there’s not so much squelchy med about, i think.

Getting used to the 29er now though…

I am starting to plan to move towards the 29". Still trying to get the hang of my 20", I can get from point A to point B now. But planning for the future…

I was looking at the KH and the Nimbus, links as follows:

KH:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=880

Nimbus:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=1026

The price difference is quite huge. Does anyone have any comments on the two? The usual “which is better” question always comes up. But the thing that intrigued me was, people always say that the KH is lighter, but according to the weight given in the website, it turns out that the Nimbus is lighter. Maybe I am missing something?

The KH may have been weighed with all the extras on it, plus the cranks are heavier than on the nimbus… or maybe the nimbus is just lighter.

They are both great unicycles, and I don’t think there’s much between them - although I haven’t ridden the nimbus. If you plan to do Muni and you get the nimbus, it would be advantageous to get the KH moment crank upgrade.