29" Discussion thread

When I first got back on my bike after riding around on a 29er for a few months, the feeling of going almost twice as fast was kind of intimidating. I had never been scared of going fast on my bike before, but the feeling went away pretty quickly. Now that I’m used to the speed of my bike again, my 29" feels slow, even compared to the 20" uni. I’m thinking about maybe getting geared hub a few years from now, I’m just not sure it would be worth the money.

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

You guys have made me rethink everything… and now I want both!

I’ll start saving up :wink:

Sam

Definitely the best possible solution! :smiley:

There is no avoiding it.

New 29" Nimbus :slight_smile:

I’m now the proud owner of a new 29" Nimbus touring uni! :smiley: I haven’t gone on any long rides yet, only a few short spins up and down my street, but I can’t wait to get out on it for a few hours! :slight_smile:

First impressions: It’s huge! 29ers look much smaller in pictures. Free mounting has been considerably more difficult, but I imagine this will get easier once I put some more time into it. The speed and height are great! I’m flying compared to the 20" I was riding and I feel like I’m just gliding along :).

I have noticed a faint squeaking sound while riding… Which worries me because I read something about ruining my cranks and a squeaking sound. When I just hold the uni and spin the wheel I can’t hear anything, so I’m not sure how to figure out what’s wrong. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Also I’ve noticed that the wheel is not perfectly centered between the forks of the frame. Will this hurt my uni down the road or affect my riding? If so, how should I go about fixing this?

Anyways, I love the thing already and am very proud to be part of the 29ers club! :smiley:

Sam

Awesome, and congrats! I had the same feelings when I first got my 29er a few months ago. I’m still working on the freemounts, but as for everything else on a uni, I think it’s just a matter of practice (and dedication/perseverence/obstinance :wink: ).

Creakiness, probably just need to tighten the cranks and/or spokes; see thread: creaking ness?

Centeredness (if that’s a word?), probably just tune the wheel due to machine build and as spokes settle in; see thread: Is there any way to correct an off-center wheel?

Hey,

My new KH29 turned up today. :smiley:

I like it very much went for a short ride about 2km and after the ride my legs didnt feel like jelly or anything which I thought they would of. :slight_smile:

Im going for a good long Muni this weekend with my Dad (He is riding a mountain bike)

Thanks.

Cool! I love getting a new unicycle or parts.

Haha, Yeah same the bad bit is waiting for it to turn up. :slight_smile:

29" which brand to buy?

This thread has evolved over a couple years and I’ll beat the technology and the buying choices have changed as well…

I have been riding a 24" schwinn on the road for 40 years and it is time to step up to a 29 or maybe a 36. I ride mostly on paved roads and sidewalks so the 29 is probably the best next step for a 55 year old guy.

So it sounds like I can’t go wrong with a Nimbus or a KH. They are both expensive but probably worth it. Any suggestions on differences of the brands available out there?

What ever serves you best

People who ride a 29" are usually the type who have ridden unicycles for a while (Generally speaking, but not always).

Also 29" riders also have a 2nd or 3rd unicycle in stable of rides.

If you get a 29" I’d suggest getting something that will do the job over the course of time. KH, Nimbus, etc will deal with both the mundane riding conditions and beyond.

After over 3000km’s on my 29" (insignificate distance vs other true riders) my 29" is still the pick of the litter verses my 20" and 36".

You can get a lesser/cheaper 29" that may or may not stand the test of time and regular riding.

For the long term thinker, I’d suggest you buy a product that will last the duration of your commitment to the sport.

I purchased a 29" from Darren Bedford some time ago. Not saying its the best product. But for my needs, its served me well.

Go with something that serves your needs best and leaves your bank account intact.

After thousands of k’s on both 28" and 36" I much prefer the 36". Even an ungeared 36" feels like a toy compared to a Schlumpf 36".

I got a 29" a year or two ago thinking it would be good for fast cross country MUni but I have hardly ever used it- it always leaves me wishing I had a bit more rubber like on the 24x3" or 26x3" tires. The last time I rode my 29" down the mountain I got a pinch flat and also riding down the Unicon uphill course gave me a pinch flat.

The 36" is way better for road/footpath riding than 29". The type of riding I do is less suited to 29" than I imagined it would be. For 700c I prefer lightweight narrow tires- I had a go on a 700x28c with 60mm cranks at Unicon. I completed the marathon on 700x35c with 89mm cranks but it was not ideal in the wind.

So I reckon for transport get a 36" any day over a 29" unless you don’t like the feeling of a big stable wheel at speed and would rather a small twitchy one. Over distance the wheel size adds up…

I agree with Rowan and a 36", but this is a personal preference. Some people don’t like the 36". That’s how I came to own my Coker.

It would be nice if you could try out a 29" and a 36" to see which you would prefer. I used my 29" to commute to work yesterday since I had to stop at a doctors appointment on the way home. I didn’t want to bring the 36" into the office. The ride round-trip was 16 miles and I was really missing my 36". The 29" was nice over the hilly section I had to ride though.

what size cranks?

I did not ride for a while, but a couple weeks ago I got a Nimbus II 24. I have been enjoying it and want to get a Nimbus 29. My 24 came with 125mm cranks and I feel like I am missing the extra leverage that I had on my old Schwinn. I am good on the smooth, but on the uneven sidewalk and curbs etc I feel like a little more leverage would help my control. So my question is what size cranks should I be looking for on a Nimbus 29 if I want slightly more leverage than the 125mm was giving me on my Nimbus 24?

remember on a 29er you can roll over more stuff easier. I’m running 125s on the 36er and feel like I could move down a size, simply because it floats over bumps and potholes. 137s may be a good choice, but I can’t stand 150s or higher unless I’m offroad, they’re a little slow.

It sounds like on the bigger wheel you’ll want cranks longer than 125mm. The two Qu-Ax options (which don’t add to the cost of the uni) are 145mm and 170mm. I’d recommend choosing 145mm cranks. In terms of crank length to wheel diameter ratio they give slightly less leverage than 125mm cranks on a 24" wheel but I don’t think that tells the whole story. As juggleaddict said, the 29" wheel carries more momentum and will roll over bumpy surfaces a bit easier than a 24".

OK, I think I found my solution. I ordered my Nimbus 29 with KH double hole125/150 cranks.

Got my first 29er!!

My Nimbus 29 Touring uni came today - It’s friggin’ sweet!

First impressions:
-Huge tire! I mean, I anticipated the diameter, but the wheel is thick, wide and just plain huge!
-Pinned metal pedals are nice in the winter when everything’s wet :slight_smile:
-Seat post was way too short :frowning: I ordered 200mm 'cus I didn’t want to have to cut any posts, but I guess I’ve just learned that it’s better to order long and cut down than to risk ordering short. Luckily though, I am able to use my Torker LX saddle for now.
-“smooth buttery goodness” indeed! Riding is absolutely awesome - I could get used to using this instead of my car. I don’t regret choosing 115mm cranks either. Also, riding uphill is way easier on this uni than on any of my cruddy b*kes. Downhill is a bit scary though.
-Freemounting isn’t that bad at all - I just use the jump mount (landed it first time).
-I hate that hard-as-rock Torker LX saddle :angry:

So, about my seatpost. I’ve sent an email seeing if it’s possible to trade (the seat is still undamaged), but I’ve also noticed that new seatposts are relatively cheap. If I end up having to buy a new one, which one should I get (width 25.4mm)? Which post comes with the nimbus 29? Could I just use my LX post (it looks different, but I don’t know for sure whether it’s compatible with the seat or not)?

Congrats. The 25.4mm seatposts are standard on Nimbus unicycles that I own. You should be able to use your LX one- if anything the KH seatbase would be wider perhaps, but then what would you use on your other unicycle, the 200mm post?

The LX seat uses the Miyata bolt pattern, and so it’s not compatible with the Nimbus seat that uses the Schwinn bolt pattern. The Miyata seatposts are very hard to come by anymore, and so any 25.4 seatpost you get should bolt right onto your Nimbus seat.

On the Coker cycles website they have aluminum posts for $12, and CrMo for $14. It’s probably the cheapest you will find standard seatposts. All of the Coker uni’s use 25.4, so they fit just fine.