29" Discussion thread

Yeah, this looks promising. He reviews it in the video here.
http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/wtb-interbike-virtual-trade-show-booth-2009/

Road Bike vs 29er

I’ve been seriously considering getting a 29" Nimbus touring uni, stock except for KH 125/150 double hole cranks, for distance riding. My parents aren’t too fond of the idea of me going long distances on a unicycle and are pushing a road bike instead (I’m going to ask for one or the other for christmas :p)
They’ve been fairly convincing and I’m almost leaning towards the road bike. What are the primary reasons for getting a 29" uni instead?

Sam

Simple, unicyclists ride unicycles.

125mm cranks are too long on a 29"/28" for any lengthy road riding in my opinion. If you want to compare to a road bike get a 36" or a geared unicycle (or a geared 36"). For a road 28" get the shortest cranks you can and a KH touring handle.

Primary reasons I would get a unicycle over a bike-

It’s more fun on one!
I’m a unicyclist- a bike would feel wrong.
A bike is like cheating- you can roll downhill without pedaling.
Unicycles are easier to transport- you can hitch hike easy with a 29".
Fewer parts to break down- less maintenance on uni than bike.
Safer- I don’t have to wear a helmet on a unicycle in NZ.
Versatile- I can spin on the spot, idle and ride backwards etc.
Did I mention Fun?! Unicycling starts many interesting conversations and inspires other people to ride and earns you respect from people unable to ride as well as unicyclists.

Get the Uni! (but don’t forget the geared hub upgrade- ask Santa for that)

No reasons at all, go with the road bike unless you like riding long distances alone. Don’t get me wrong I love riding unicycles but for distance riding you would be lucky to keep up with a bmx bike on a 29". Go with the right tool for the purpose. Just because you can ride a uni does not mean you have to only ride unicycles. Diversify road bikes, mountain bikes, bmx are all just as fun (and maybe more so) used for what they were made for.

In most distance competitions you will not be up against bmx bikes. Bmx bikes are more commonly found at the bmx track where the 29 would not keep up either. In a distance race you will not keep up with the race bikes either so that isn’t really the point of distance unicycling. You go at your own pace and you get there in the style that you choose. Have fun and choose your own way- if you want a trainer wheel consider getting a Qu-ax Penny Farthing or a fixie.

My point was that if he wants to ride with friends the uni can’t keep up not that he would race bmx bikes. But that aside I do agree to choose your own way for what you enjoy.

for distance go with a recumbent

I’m generally in agreement with mtnjeffe’s point of view here. But I would add one thing: if you really want to ride long distances, get a fast short wheel base recumbent bicycle (look at Volae Club or Sport (http://www.volaerecumbents.com/) or Bacchetta Strada or Corsa (http://www.bacchettabikes.com/)). Way more comfortable, and faster than a road bike overall, including mountain riding, based on how my experience riding about 900 miles of group rides in western Montana this year went. The only advantage of a standard road bike over a good recumbent would be the ability to race in sanctioned events.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving uni’s, I’ve started commuting (less than 3 miles) on my 29, and I’m scheming to get a 36. But if your goal is true distance riding, no question that a proper road bike is a better tool for the purpose than any uni.

So, are you assuming that unicycles are safer since the law does not require a helmet, or do you feel less safe when wearing a helmet?

Hey, show some respect - he is both your elder and a Unicycle Teacher, so you should defer to his assertion. Besides, he hasn’t titled himself as a logic teacher. :roll_eyes:

samsterus- I have a lot of experience with both Bike and unicycle self supported touring. My Uni is a Nimbus 36" with t7, airfoil and 125mm cranks. What i can say is this. Self supported unicycle touring is a bitch. You can’t carry much at all because all the weight has to be carried on your back, the weight of which is transfered straight to your bum on the seat, or split between a bag and some frame mounted setup (which makes an already unwieldy sized wheel even harder and less comfortable to control). Cross winds are hell, especially when you have to hold your weight at strange angles over the wheel to maintain balance for long periods of time in the saddle.

Your prospective unicycle does not really fit the bill as a great commuter/tourer anyhow. I would say go with the bike. I have a second hand road bike i bought at a garage sale for $50. I ride it to work and home every day (40km) and it is quick, easy to maintain (old bikes can be sorted out with few tools and are very simple).

You might think this a bit strange coming from a unicyclist. My passion is Muni and i have a great set up for that. My geared 24" is the perfect machine for covering moderate to long distances off road and handle technical singletrack.

When you are riding on pavement or ashphalt where there are not really any challenges to make unicycle riding enjoyable don’t make things so hard and slow for yourself by getting a 29" or 36". If my daily commute was not as long then i would probably revert to using my unicycle, but for any serious distance trips it is hard to go past the functionality of a bike.

mark

I bought a 29" like 2 months ago and its very fun. I usually just rides around on it trying to to trciks that i do on my 20" like 360 unispin crankflip and such stuff, but sometimes i ride a little uni and that is very fun.

When I first got back on my bike after riding around on a 29er for a few months, the feeling of going almost twice as fast was kind of intimidating. I had never been scared of going fast on my bike before, but the feeling went away pretty quickly. Now that I’m used to the speed of my bike again, my 29" feels slow, even compared to the 20" uni. I’m thinking about maybe getting geared hub a few years from now, I’m just not sure it would be worth the money.

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

You guys have made me rethink everything… and now I want both!

I’ll start saving up :wink:

Sam

Definitely the best possible solution! :smiley:

There is no avoiding it.

New 29" Nimbus :slight_smile:

I’m now the proud owner of a new 29" Nimbus touring uni! :smiley: I haven’t gone on any long rides yet, only a few short spins up and down my street, but I can’t wait to get out on it for a few hours! :slight_smile:

First impressions: It’s huge! 29ers look much smaller in pictures. Free mounting has been considerably more difficult, but I imagine this will get easier once I put some more time into it. The speed and height are great! I’m flying compared to the 20" I was riding and I feel like I’m just gliding along :).

I have noticed a faint squeaking sound while riding… Which worries me because I read something about ruining my cranks and a squeaking sound. When I just hold the uni and spin the wheel I can’t hear anything, so I’m not sure how to figure out what’s wrong. Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Also I’ve noticed that the wheel is not perfectly centered between the forks of the frame. Will this hurt my uni down the road or affect my riding? If so, how should I go about fixing this?

Anyways, I love the thing already and am very proud to be part of the 29ers club! :smiley:

Sam

Awesome, and congrats! I had the same feelings when I first got my 29er a few months ago. I’m still working on the freemounts, but as for everything else on a uni, I think it’s just a matter of practice (and dedication/perseverence/obstinance :wink: ).

Creakiness, probably just need to tighten the cranks and/or spokes; see thread: creaking ness?

Centeredness (if that’s a word?), probably just tune the wheel due to machine build and as spokes settle in; see thread: Is there any way to correct an off-center wheel?

Hey,

My new KH29 turned up today. :smiley:

I like it very much went for a short ride about 2km and after the ride my legs didnt feel like jelly or anything which I thought they would of. :slight_smile:

Im going for a good long Muni this weekend with my Dad (He is riding a mountain bike)

Thanks.

Cool! I love getting a new unicycle or parts.