26" muni tire discussion

You need to add a comment category regarding whether the tire has a “mind of it’s own”. We have all experienced that…that the tire steers the unicycle instead of the unicycle steers the tire. Some tires or inflation levels are particularly responsive, other combinations are like riding a runaway train that goes where it wants.

Carey

I have gone tubless on a 24dx and my mounain bike. I is great for heavy riders that want to run low pressure ( I am 220lbs with 10lbs of air ). Tubless weighs less than a light tube if done right. WARNING! going tubless can be messy if you are doing it for the first time, and if you side hop hard you will burp air ( tire half unseats and lets air out.). you can run very light tires also.

Hmm, not intended to be creepy or a joke. I showed your picture to my wife and her best friend, and they both agreed with me. Similar build and hair, and she used to have glasses just like yours. So more just an interesting observation, intended if anything to be mildly (but not suggestively or web-stalkingly) complimentary. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll also post a review of the 2.4 DH Ardent once I’ve done some riding on it. My understanding is that the Ardents are high volume, but also fast tread, so I have high hopes for it.

I prefer to ride tubless too – I always leave the tub at home, and just clean up when I’m done riding. :roll_eyes:

I think a heavy treaded tire is going to be slower, which is why I suggested an RR.

If you wanna go fast and the 26er is going to be geared, I can’t see that hopping is where you’ll expend much time and effort, so speed and comfort are going to be most important; assuming I get your shrift.

Go with a thin tread that has a nice centerline knobby, high volume for cush, thinner construction but with good flexibility and strength. Play with tubes, pressure, etc…

For me weight is only an issue in terms of “flickability”

RR might be in my future. But for now, at under $20, the Ardent seems like it’s worth trying. Do you really consider the Ardent to be a heavy treaded tire? KH talks about the 29x2.4 as a good xc tire, the DH version is lighter than many DH tires, and with the fairly closely spaced center knobbies, it doesn’t really look that aggresive to me.

I would.

I wouldn’t call a Racing Ralph a lightly knobbed tire, but lighter than that ^ one.

A light Muni tire IMO would be something like a Maxis high roller.

Hmm, is don’t think that’s a high roller - looks more like a holy roller, which is a BMX/street tyre. Those lugs would pack up with mud in seconds I reckon! I used one of those for road riding b4 I got my hookworm. High roller as I understand it v. (My apologies if high vs holy its just a typo/momentary rush of blood to the brain - happens to me all the time!)

high_roller.jpg

Typo:o
Yeah, I meant Holy Roller. On another thread I suggested it could be used for light Muni, but yeah anthing other than packed dirt wouldn’t be too good.

The Ardent is an XC MTB tire, lightish (800gm), single sidewall, medium deep tread. Compared to an RR, the Ardent is a much deeper tread, suitable for mixed conditions. The RR is designed for drier conditions, firm trail, and it’s super light (575gm). KH likes XC MTB tires, it’s partly his smaller size, but also due his significant riding skills. He could probably outride me on a uni with a bare rim :astonished:

Don’t be cheap on tires or you’ll end up spending more and have to find a home for all your used tires :roll_eyes:

Maybe someone has a lightly used RR for sale? Check MTBR.

The real difference I notice in the RR versus other XC tires is that the RR is a high thread casing, so it feels very supple, similar in some ways to my Larry, not blocky, doesn’t pull, so it’s easier to ride wwhen you’re tired, and it’s fast. I tried a lot of 29er tires, started with an RR, and after spending a few hundred dollars I am back with the RR. The only thing I’d like to have is snakeskin, but sidewall strength hasn’t been an issue yet.

saskatchewanian does on the trading post he has 3 i think for sale.

I went back and looked over the Schwalbe tire choices, some real nice rubber in that catalog, mmmm.

I think one of the problems with using MTB tires for muni is that we typically run lower pressures, as well, we are putting twice as much weight on the same tire, so the tire is not going to act the same.

Having a thin sidewall and thick rubber just doesn’t seem to make a tire good for muni, like there’s a mismatch between flex. I previously rode a beefy tire, the Intense DH, but only because I could ride it at low pressure (12-14psi), but they’re heavy. I’m now on a Larry and it’s the exact opposite, thin tread, supple sidewalls.

In running the gamout of 29er tires, I found the ones that rode the best were thin sidewalled and thin treaded (Weirwolf, RR), while the more heavilly treaded tires with thick sidewalls seem to require the most attention and were the hardest to ride (Dissent, Kodiak).

Since my 29er is really more of an XC muni, and one that I plan to start using for longer rides and maybe races, I want a supple ride that’s fast and easy, so when I’m tired I don’t have to fight the tire.

If you have a good LBS, see what old tires they have hanging in the rafters that they’d let you try. This was how I got to try a Minion and a Mountain King

Good points, Ben, and appreciated. I’m not ignoring you (or don’t intend to); going with the DH version of the Ardent is in response to your comments about being a heavier rider. And yeah, I agree that buying on price isn’t the greatest strategy. However, the Ardent was on my short list anyhow, and while price isn’t the main factor, it still counts. :wink: I’m looking to do some epic long back country rides on the geared 26, so I’m willing to sacrifice some weight and suppleness in return for reliability. I’ve had numerous people warn me about the sidewalls on the RR, including my LBS (yes, I have consulted with them). RR sounds like a great tire for fast rides, but might not fit my more all-mountain xc riding (and I acknowledge I probably didn’t give the greatest explanation of my goals). Fixing a flat is no problem, but a torn sidewall often means a long walk.

so overall what is the best 26 muni tire?

Okay, so I’ve been riding the Ardent 29 x 2.4 for a couple weeks, did a long ride on Sunday, and what can I say, but the tire is really good. I like it better than the RR 2.4, more substantial sidewall and tread without being a heavy tire. Nice combo of tread thickness and sidewall, does not auto steer, tracks great, running 20psi and no snakebites. Great in the mud, fast on pack, good wet conditions traction on roots and rocks.

For a 26er I’d go with the wider vesion that KH is suggesting (Ardent 25 x 2.6) but a 2.4 would be okay. In the 29er version I’d like a 2.6, just to have more cushion, but I get by just fine on the 2.4

I’m not much of a hopper, roll over most everything, so keeping that in mind, I wouldn’t recommmend the Ardent to a jumper/hopper, it’s just not much tire, for sure more of an XC tire than a DH tire.

For my 26 Guni I’m going to run an Ardent 2.6. I’m 200#.

If you want a true DH tire, but don’t like the Duro 3" or Arrow 3", see if you can find an Intense DH 2.5. It’s a true two ply sidewall DH tire with hard/deep knobbies, little brother to the Intense DH 24 x 3 that is Terry’s fav. It’s slower and heavier than an XC tire, but you can treat it like dirt and it’ll ask for more :wink:

FYI: That 3C Ardent is a DH version, not to be confused with the XC version, so 50% heavier (1200gm), much stiffer, and who knows how it rides. I’d expect it’s more like the Intense DH 2.5

Im going to bump. were can i get a 26in try all in the states?

I am building a 26 wheel this week and need a tire. Since this is an old thread I wanted ask what’s a great 26 Muni tire. Marxist Ardent 2.4 is what I’m thinking of. The 26 will probably be my least used wheel so something good but nothing crazy expensive. I’ll be using a tube for this wheel. Thanks

Glenn

Hey Glen, you should buy one or both of my 26" tires I have for sale :slight_smile:

Cheap, but good, try them both and I’ll give you an amazing deal!!

Send me a PM

P.S. The Ardent DH I have for sale is actually a 2.6", same great tread design as the regular Ardent, a tad heavier, but also a tad beefier and a tad stickier.

Pm sent. I was all excited about the 29er but my lbs received 26 rims instead of 1 26 and 1 29. So until they get that sorted out I will have to build the 26 first :angry:

Glenn