24hr - We need you help in a very important debate...

Things to keep in mind based on reading this thread:

1. Make sure you know who’s organizing your event.

2. Cycling Australia has at least one person on staff who doesn’t know what events their organization is in charge of. On the other hand, she probably just assumed the event was connected, or else why would you contact them? Assuming Cycing Austraila rules were to be in effect, she informed you of where you could run into conflicts in the future.

3. If the entry forms don’t ask what you’re riding, you can optionally try not telling them. Though you run the risk of being excluded when you arrive, I think your odds are better than passing it by someone who will come up with the “I” word (insurance). Once this happens, you could be screwed. Nobody can argue with insurance. At least not in the US… :frowning:

4. Remember who’s event it is; in other words, not yours. They have the right to specify what you can ride. Mostly I estimate event hosts will welcome unicyclists, unless they are spooked by insurance issues. Explaining to them that this person rode in that event and that person rode in another, etc. could help. But don’t assume a non-existent right to ride in someone else’s event.

5. If you end up getting excluded, I’m sure there are other events being hosted by people you’d rather ride with anyway. If not, host your own!

The Cycling Austrailia rules that were sited to you, other than insurance, were mostly rules aimed at racing. It would be easy enough to explain your way around those by letting them know how relatively slow unicycles are. Though you may beat some riders, there is not a chance that you’ll be anywhere near the top ten in a large event.

Thanks Joe and John,

Everything’s now sorted out. The 24hr is run privately by a couple of really nice, friendly people. They’ve given us permission to enter on our unicycles and said they’re looking forward to seeing us there. We’ll be entering the 4-man category with 3 riders and we can luckily pay for only the 3 of us. I can’t wait.

Andrew

Re: 24hr - We need you help in a very important debate…

Congratulations, but you have your work cut out for you with only 3
riders!!! GO GO GO!

—Nathan

“andrew_carter” <andrew_carter.kmt7w@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:andrew_carter.kmt7w@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Thanks Joe and John,
>
> Everything’s now sorted out. The 24hr is run privately by a couple of
> really nice, friendly people. They’ve given us permission to enter on
> our unicycles and said they’re looking forward to seeing us there.
> We’ll be entering the 4-man category with 3 riders and we can luckily
> pay for only the 3 of us. I can’t wait.
>
> Andrew

Thanks Nathan. As well as the usual unicycling, I’ve been riding my bike more so hopefully that’ll at least help with my fitness for riding up hills. I’ll have heaps of photos to post for everyone.

Andrew