2017 KH lineup

Thank you for your reply.

I just had a thought: With the wider tires has the vertical clearance changed for the KH29 frames? Would it be possible to get an axle to crown measurement?

If I could fit my 32" wheel in it would make the new frame that much more inciting.

Here are the vertical clearances for KH frames, measured from axle to underside of crown:
KH20: 268.5 mm
KH24: 338.5 mm
KH27.5: 383.5 mm
KH29: 401.5 mm
KH36: 463.5 mm

Thanks Kris

It won’t fit my frankenwheel (shrunken 36) with the current tire but I am not sure about the production 32" wheels out there, It would probably be pretty close.

If only I had more disposable income…

Does anybody know when will be the new unicycles available in Europe? Any new infos? Unicycle.com (USA) has the new parts (rim, hub and frame), KH27,5 and KH36 in stock.

It seems some are already there. I have seen the new KH29 with Duro Crux in a shop in Lyon in late August.

If Roger’s watching, maybe he can say when the UDC UK container comes in. I presume their next one will have the new KH stock.

Apparently they have 4 per year and presuming this video was edited and uploaded not too long after filming, maybe next month?

CDK shop in Lyon (France) receives KH unicycles from QU-AX Germany so different container than Roger in UK I guess

Tire extremely difficult to mount/unmount

Now that the 2017 KH 27.5 has been out there a while with the new KH 55mm rim and Duro Crux 27.5x3.25 tire, I’m curious whether others have experienced what I have.

At room temperature I find it requires metal tire levers (irons) to remove and mount the tire on the rim. I’ve snapped several plastic ones. Mounting is more difficult than removal for me. I’ve also gone through several tubes due to pinch punctures either when mounting or when inflating (not sure).

Point is, this combination is a tremendous beast to mount the bead on the rim. For the first time in my cycling life I’ve resorted to bar soap on the rim/bead and talcum powder inside the tire. That offered no noticeable improvements. The rim doesn’t seem to have a “channel” in the center like other rims which make tire installation/removal easier.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions for making this easier?
Thanks.

I had a flat tire on the weekend, and was thinking about this as I removed the tire on the trail.

The easiest way to remove the tire is different than the previous model.

On the previous rims and ones like it, many people shift the deflated tire just enough ot insert a tire lever, and then use one or more levers to stretch the bead over the edge of the sidewall until the tire pops off.

This worked as a brute force method, although it was not very good for the tire. It doesn’t work well on the new KH rim because the bead is too secure.

Instead, it is better to use the palm of your hand to pull/push the tire inwards off the bead lock, towards the channel in the middle of the rim. The channel is deep enough to take all the pressure off the bead.
It’s best to work gradually at a section of tire, to work it off the bead lock. The tube must be fully deflated.
Once the tire is in the depression in the middle of the rim, it is much easier to remove the tire (easier than the previous model, and it doesn’t hurt the tire).

For mounting, I’ve not personally had an issue as long as the bead is in the channel in the middle of the rim; it has felt easier than the past model. But open to feedback on that one.

Hope that helps!