Kris, are there any plans for selling the KH36 with the King George tire in the US in the near future? Thanks.
No not really. Both the Nightrider and King George are excellent tires and similar weight. Qu-Ax distributes KHU in the EU, and UDC outside the EU, hence the tire spec.
Kris
you’re a giant!
That’s a pretty tall 8ft 5", as that’s 256.54cm!! 5ft 8" is indeed 173cm (172.72cm).
It’s like the mistake I still so frequently make in German of transcribing the 1’s and 10’s digit, i.e. converting the German 32 (zweiunddreißig = two and thirty) into 23. Or for the programmers among us, confusing big endian and little endian.
I’m a bit taller than Eric with 9ft5in and of course I have the 63" King George Tire ![]()
And I’m a freak of nature at 1ft6" and mostly riding my 92" wheel!
Looking good! I’m definitely tempted by a 650B and I still need to give the Fusion One a go.
In the slightly inclement winter weather of the UK my sprit hub started to get surface corrosion within about a month of installing it so the new black powdercoat definitely seems like a good move.
On a less related note, I heard a rumour some time ago that the dual hole crank positions was changed (110/137 to 110/127) due to a plan for quick release pedals? Every year I look out for any hints and nothing’s happened so far…
Am I talking rubbish? Anything you can say about it if I’m not?
The 110/127 cranks are still available.
We updated the 110/137 cranks to 117/137 a couple of years ago. That update came from my own experience as well as that of the EOB Award Winner Cary Gray, who felt that would be a strong choice for long distance on/offroad touring on a heavily loaded 36er.
Kris
Kris, why didn’t you propose the new 27.5 and 29 directly as tubeless ? Is it difficult to make the conversion ?
Even bike brands dont sell bike directly as tubeless. If the uni stays in the stock room for a few months without moving, the scellant will dry and wont be good when the rider tries to pump is tire. One of the important thing to keep a good tubeless setup running for long is riding it often.
Conversion is really easy when the rim and tire are tubeless compatible. When one of them isn’t it makes it a bit harder but can still be done. A compressor will be your best friend for tubeless conversions!
What I think…
My main gripe, and I’m just whining, is each upgrade gets announced toward the end of my main season of events and then usually no one offers much of the new goods as they try selling off old stock. By the time I can order and receive any of the stuff I’m drooling over my event schedule is over. The excitement is lost and I decide nothing is really that important to me until next year. Then why not wait another year and see if something exciting shows up in the next upgrade. So I’m still on eight and ten year old KH unicycles and manage to do my thing and wonder if Kris and I will ever get it together and update any of my blue frogs.
Kris: my excitement is already fading. Only four more events left in the 2017 schedule for me. Also, it looks like my two Schulmpf hubs which went on a ski vacation in Switzerland will last into the summer swimming season - might end the entire year in the singlespeed category.
Thanks for letting me whine a little,
Joe Myers
There is a excellent help now available if you do not have a compressor on hand:
Also available by other brands.
I like the look of that new rim and the slightly wider frame. They will both be big positives in the trend toward plus sized tires. I was really hoping that 26+ sizing would catch on in the biking world and spill into ours, but that size seems to be falling flat.
So, I was a bit disappointed to see the disappearance of the 26" from the lineup, but understand it with the recent explosion in popularity of 27.5" and 27.5+ tire sizes. It could be interesting to see how sales of 29" unicycles change with the acceptance of 27.5+. Obviously a standard 29" wheel could fit nicely in a 27.5+ frame…
I am curious if there has been any consideration of adding a 32" unicycle to the lineup. If KH jumped in to that game it might make a big enough market to develop a more aggressive off-road 32" tire that could be shared with the custom mountain bike market, similar to how we as unicyclists helped get the “Todd” tire made a few years ago. When niche markets help niche markets everyone wins :).
I run my 27.5+ in a 29er frame and it soesn’t look like the frame is from a bigger wheel size. So since disc brakes are the new standard, i dont think it’s even necessary to have two different frames for these two wheelsizes.
I am smallish (5’7") and recently went with the new 27.5 over the 26 due to my feeling 26ers are on the way out. Also I wanted a fat, light tire and couldn’t get that with a 29er without going too big.
For me the 27.5 is perfect and I’m glad I went with my intuition even though at the time Kris said if you are smaller you may prefer the 26.
I understand his decision to ditch the 26er. At the end of the day it was a business decision and we all certainly want him to stay in business for many more years.
So since disc brakes are the new standard, it makes me sad to see the Magura compatible Break Mounts go. Well, maybe I’m just too old(school) ![]()
I kept rim brake mounts on the frames longer that I otherwise would have because the geared hub, until the 2016 release, was not disc brake compatible (without modifications).
Beyond the fact that braking is better, the external disc brake is so much easier to maintain and use that I have to admit I don’t miss rim brakes =)
Hi Kris,
fully agree on the disc brake setup. Do the new frames have some hose clips to fix the brake line on it.?
Yes they do - two clips on the frame positioned close to where the brake bosses used to be.
I chose not to add a brakeline guide on the seatpost tube because I feel that it interferes with raising the seat up and down - better to just wrap the brakeline once around the seat tube like a coil. Works well.
Kris
Hi Kris,
will the new KH29 be available with Duro Crux tire for Europe? Because this tire can not be purchased at this size in this time.
When the new model is eventually available in Europe, yes it will include this tire, assuming it remains in production in Taiwan.
In the USA, it looks like Jones Bikes has them in stock:
http://www.jonesbikes.com/duro-crux-tire/