2009 KH lineup - details and info

Don’t think I can trust drilled moments :stuck_out_tongue: but Sam, if your reading this and want to pitch your idea, please do so.

It’s a question of priorities and cost - injection molds cost a lot and it really has to be worth it. Upgrading the rear bumper and frame, for example, cost several 10’s of thousands of dollars since I started the project in mid 2007. That’s why there were at least 5 generations of the original saddle frame before this big switch; in contrast, updates to the foam and saddle covers are easy. In that context, taping over the hole is pretty good value for $$ =). Eventually an upgrade to the handle will happen but not just yet.

Kris

Wow I love the look of the new Cro-Mo Moment hubs. I also really like the look of the new handle.

Good call with the 14G spokes too.

Edit: And the hex bolts into the saddle look much nicer and really clean. Generally I am liking what I am seeing :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=spambait11;1215364]
But it’s possible for these bearings to be used on other hubs as well (i.e. super wide hubs), correct? QUOTE]

Yes that’s right - I was just pointing out that the hub bearing spacing has to be compatible with the frame.

Kris

Very glad to see an update to the seatbase (strength wise, and bolt style). New hubs look fantastic.

mmm mmm. Nice stuff, Kris.

I was wondering when we were going to switch to spool type aluminum hubs, my prayers have been answered. Also, a little question, how much wider is the stout with the 47mm rim as opposed to the 38mm? Thanks for the upgrades Kris, that new Ti hub is dead sexy.

The new stuff looks great Kris. Thanks, for all you do!

This is awesome news. Especially with the addition of the 22x40mm bearings I now have ISIS as a fully compatible option for my The Ti frame. Before I was restricted to pretty much only Profile as a decent hub/crankset (damn awesome mind you, but it is costly as hell…!)

So now that’s made getting back into uni a hell of a lot more affordable too!

Kris, are the steel and ti ‘welded’ hubs totally discontinued now then? And as for these new hubs, how come you didn’t opt for one-piece aluminium shell with a hollow ISIS axle pressed through it? Maybe something along the lines of Profile, KH-Onza '05, KH04, just as examples? I mean, same-ish idea but obviously with today’s modern improvements and technology, just make it work out so hub slop is totally preventable.

Also, would there be any chance of you releasing powdercoated or anodized coloured rims? If you opt for powdercoated to match your seatclamps, then you will be filling in a small gap in the 19" rim market by offering various 36h rims in a myriad of powdercoated colours, which no one else has really touched on (except for those horribly vibrant ‘fluro’ powdercoated colours Koxx and some copycat brands did in Biketrials). But yeah, I’d definitely be up for a powdercoated red rim. I’d like to rebuild the old look of The Ti, and a powdercoated red rim is the first best step I can take towards that!

However, if you go for anodized, that’d be awesome too. There is ONE colour that has eluded the entire trials world in 36h… Anodized Green. I’ve always wanted that too, as have countless biketrials riders in the past. All anodized green rims you see on trials bikes are 32h. Actually, Viz made 36h rims and one of them was anodized green… but that was flawed because the green came out murky and darkish, and also the rim was flawed by design because of that weakening and unnecessary brake-line indicator stripe along the sidewall.

As for tyres, is there any chance of developing a KH 19" tyre? This would be a HUGE draw in bike and uni trials. I understand that it’d be a costly move, but damn, if it were designed correctly and tested extensively, it’d be worth it. The trials tyre market is too small and has been for years. Most brands stick with churning out copied rims, hubs, stems, cranks in trials, which is a shame. No one has really made much of an effort to release a new tyre.

Lastly, frame-wise, how about releasing all the other KHs in a polished option too, like the double crown frame? Also, black’d be a good draw too. White perhaps as well!

Kris it seems like everything you have done is amazing. I can’t believe it.

Particularly happy to hear about the recycled seats!

Thanks for the link, I’ll have a read of it tomorrow morning (It’s nearly 2am here… haha!)

I haven’t been online in nearly a year 'til now, amongst busy busy life preparing for gap year and university, along with my other hobbies and hobbies-turned-lifestyles… Uni just slowly faded away. Especially after the trials scene pretty much died for a bit in the uni world. I had to sell my uni (minus the frame) to fund my new flatland bmx. So that wasn’t really helping here either! But it was worth it. Enough of the story, yeah basically I’m very behind on the latest news and discussions. But I’m left to think about why “the community” said no to the tyre. I’ll read that topic in the morning and evaluate. Adeus!

Hey,

The reason for machining the flanges separately is weight - it allows the hub body to be a hollow tube that acts as a spacer to keep the flanges from moving inwards towards the middle. With one-piece alloy uni hubs the aluminum in the middle must be solid.

For now the rims will be kept black because of manufacturer quantities required. There are a few threads around about why the frames are blue; however there should be some cool custom colors powdercoated locally showing up in various countries over the next months.

Tires aren’t out of the question but it is a big challenge to make a good business case for it and to make sure it is enough better to justify it.

Kris

are the 14g spokes double butted?

Hi Kris,
Well done on the new products. They look great. On the tire issue- seen as though the Intense DH is no longer with us (and is perhaps the kind of tire you might be looking for in the 24x3 market) maybe you could approach the company and see what you could do to get the design and mould and buy the rights off them? Just a thought.
mark

A KH tire, for me, would need to be better (Or equal) than an eagleclaw, and not be as expensive as the eagleclaw. Some shops try to sell it off for $100… Lucky I can still get them shipped for around $45 which is right in my price range of tires (CC being at $30 and lower, and no more. Ever.) But still, those suckers are ahrd to find sometimes for a decent price.

This is offtopic a bit, but I dont get the “Trials dying” crap. If all your source is the video section of an online forum, then you can say its not the most popular style to do, but from when i started to ride, to right now, while being outside and at events, i have only seen trials grow bigger, more technical and advanced, and definitely not dying. Trials thrives on.

Keep up with the great stuff Kris cause ill be riding KH products till I cant uni no more.

Good to see you back Sponge. =p

Hehe, I dont care what anyone says: Id so ride a KH blue tire. MM hmm!

Awesome stuff Kris :smiley:

The Ti Hub looks SO cool :D… I will buy one really soon… Can’t wait to get it :smiley:

Also the seat reinforcement is something that we were waiting! Now people will be able to ride longer without upgrading to a CF Base! Nice move!

Again, congratulations, and thaks for putting so many effots is this line!

PS: Check your email box Kris! may my mails are going to your spam box, happened with some friends… :frowning:

That all looks really nice, I like the new moment hubs. But I would love if you changed the handles to not have a hole in them. A small change would save so many cut and twisted fingers.

Pure sex. Can’t wait to get the new hub, gonna wait to get my new uni together.

Kris,

I really like how you keep KHU evolving. It’s good that this is a community where rider ran/owned companies interact with their returning and potential customers in an open and active way. Keep up with the good work!

I agree with Sponge, in that I would like to see the rims be available in different colors (and tasteful colors at that;P). Perhaps a distributer could do this. I’ve been riding a black Alex Dx32 for years, and personally I’m ready for some change. I plan on buying a new KHU rim–it’d be even better if i could buy a green or red one. (Anyone want to paint one for me?)

As for tires, I’m glad that you’ve been considering it. I’ve ridden 3 different trials tires over the years, and I’ve not been fully satisfied with any of them. (Luna, several Maxxis Creepy Crawlers, Try-all Sticky). I could dig up old posts, and go into detail about the pros and cons of each, but I won’t now. Jerrick made a good point about trials tires and their availability at decent prices for US customers. If KHU could put out a great tire, with similar US distribution (unicycle.com/bedford for instance) I’d be a loyal customer.

-Evan

Kris, are the spoke legths going to be the same?

I’ve got some spokes for my 08 wheelset, so can I pick up the 09 hub and go or do I need to get new spokes?