2006 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend, Sept. 22-24

I have a big long metal railing I can(mabey) bring. only if I could bring it back though. Im not sure how we could mount it though.

Re: 2006 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend, Sept. 22-24

john_childs <john_childs@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> Normally I would not recommend riding on the edge of the trail tread.
> It causes the trail to gradually get wider. It’s poor trail etiquette.

Sometimes riding on the downhill edge of a trail is a fine thing to do.

Well built trails will cross slopes to allow water to drain across the
trail, preventing the trail from turning into a waterway and
alleviating the need for water bars at frequent intervals. This sort
of trail will have a slight slope to help drainage, but sooner or
later traffic will erode the center of the trail so that water can’t
drain as designed. The solution is to rake the downhill edge to
restore the slope of the trail bed, but there is nothing wrong with
riding or hiking on that downhill edge to reduce the buildup of
vegitation and avoid some wear at the center of the trail.

Of course, many trails are not built following this principle. Use
good judgement.

Ken

Regarding the current talk in this thread about adding obstacles:

I think it’s great people are offering up obstacles and or materials to bring for the trials potluck. I was going to email Lloyd regarding his needs for the trials obstacles as soon as he gets back from Burning Man. I will offer to be the front man to Lloyd regarding the obstacles. That way, I can find out what help he needs or how many obstacles he wants. Once I get an answer, I will report back here to everyone to keep everything clear.

Layout, preparation and drop off of structures should be coordinated.

cheers.

Hey John,

Do you plan to update these maps so that they can be printed out? :wink:

What maps? :smiley:

Yes, I’m working on this today. It should all be up by end of Wednesday (9/13) latest. Then I’ll start a fresh thread with the later information.

THINGS TO KNOW:

• Ababibble lives down the street from Johnsons and is in a position to be more helpful than the rest of you. Everyone else will have to pay the registration fee to cover our costs. Before bringing any large Trials obstacles, please contact Lloyd or Teachndad to find out if they’re needed. It would suck to drive hundreds of miles with a duplicate of something that’s already there!

• You will probably be riding in a commercial shuttle vehicle after your ride down to Downieville. This will cost about $15-20 (hoping for group discounts!).

• Don’t mail in your registrations at this point, unless you’re relatively local to me. I wouldn’t want them not making it here! Please bring the form, filled out and signed, and exact change if possible.

• My spreadsheet currently contains 49 people. That includes me, but not the Johnson family, for instance. I know of many others who will be there but who didn’t register yet!

• I will not post directions to Lloyd Johnson’s house on the web site. Those will go out by email or some other method to protect his privacy.

correction.
i live in the same town, not down the street, but i live about a 5 to 10 minute drive from his house.

it’s not looking good for yardspace at my place, but i may end up getting to be able to lend a space on the floor to a few people, but i’m not promising anything.

Uhh, my mom went to Texas a few days ago and I forgot to get her to write me a check before she left so I guess I will bring my registration stuff with me. :o

I hope you got my form. I think I maile dit like 2 weeks ago.

If your name is Miles Ornish (oh, I get it!), 13, from the san diego area, CA yes I did. In fact, as of today’s mail I’m up to 50 registrations!

Spencer, no problem on bringing registration and money. Just make sure it’s signed by parent/guardian if you are a minor. Nobody should be mailing registration forms at this point, just bring 'em, and try to bring exact change, thanks!

would all of us need to do that or just the drivers of the vehicles that were left on top of the mountain?

It’s a 50-mile round trip, taking about half an hour each way. We may have one or two of our own drivers go down, but no guarantees right now, so everyone should assume they’ll be riding a “pay” shuttle. Beyond that, anyone who gives you a ride should get some gas money!

yep that’s me:)

yea, I have a big black railing I could bring for either a grind rail or a skinny to ride on. I’m not sure if I could brind it, or how we could mount it to something, but It’s an option.

I plan on being there, with at least one friend!:smiley:

me? :astonished:

bring it. i’m sure we’ll jerry rig something.

i… um… need… to…learntogrindanyways… cough heh… reddens, runs away and hides behind a bush.

i’d be one of the drivers (in a rental).

when you leave the top of the mountain and head back to truckee, would stopping in downieville town be on the way? just curious. we may be able to cut costs if we left the passengers to wait in town. and have them pitch-in for their driver’s shuttle fee. sorry, i’m sure you’ve already thought this through.

It’s pretty long though. I’m not sure if It will fit in my van. I could bring a wod grind rail though, because I’m going to build one anyway.

that’s cool, then.

Right now, Lloyd and I are playing phone tag. I am pretty sure I will be able to get hold of him the next day or two.

BTW, if anyone really needs to get hold of him, don’t bother with the email. He doesn’t check his email or use his computer much, as was stated earlier in this thread. Start with the phone number listed on the Cal MUNi website.

Cheers!

New thread with CMW updates

For those of you, like me that sometimes check the forum only every few days, there is a new thread announcing the changes at http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53266

I hope this will post to email users as well.

Cheers.