20" For street riding...

What are the real advantages of using a trials tire over a bmx tire?

What keeps street riders on 19" trials wheels?

For me it’s beacuse it gives more cushion.

imagine people doing it on a freestyle tyre…

I mean imagine crankflipping a six set (something i cant do), when you’d land, you’d probably hurt yourself alot. ALso there would be no bounce, possibly wrecking your legs, and it’d be very hard on the unicycle, with pedals and cranks going much quicker.

Also in street there is quite alot of rolling hops which are easier to do on a bigger volume tyre.

Finally they just want to be cool like us trials riders :smiley:

my preference for street would be a 20" ,but with a decently thinck tyre say 1.3" to 2.5"

Convention - name a splined uni that comes standard with a 20" rim (qu-ax freestlye doesn’t count) Now of course you could rebuild it to a 20" wheel, but it;s a lot of money and effort.

Qu-ax cross? :roll_eyes: the hub is stronger than the KH because it’s solid, the cranks are described as ‘freestyle’ cranks on UDC, but they are just a solid aluminium crank that will withstand some abuse… however it is easy to install other ISIS cranks on there, you could even install your current KH cranks on them Luke. If you do a search on Spencer’s posts about the Twenty-G tire that might turn out pretty good, it’s a 20" tire that is very high, and just as wide as a trials tire. Tire’s like this: http://www.einradladen.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=629, a 2.4" trials tire will also fit on the 20" rim so you get lots of choice of tires, I don’t think a skinnier tire will be all that bad for landing sets, it all depends on your tire pressure. You will sure have a lighter wheel so it will spin easier etc. It would be interesting to see…

Luke,
I am actually on planning on on building a uni with a bmx tire. It will for sure be the widest street style tire I can find. I think it is gonns be a mostly streetland style uni. In my head I can see a smooth, fast, technical uni. As apposed to a bouncy, grippy, trials kinda feel. I guess the other option would be shaivng the nubs of a trials tire and pumping it up to about 30 35 psi.

Ah I must admit I hadn’t seen that one, if this hub is stronger than the Kh already, why does Qu-Ax also make the yellow hub aswell? Also what isn’t ‘solid’ about the KH hub? I mean it’s a steel axle with two flanges welded on it, it’s a solid lump of metal.

The yellow hub is pretty much bomb proof, also, it was produced before the red ISIS hubs came along, so that explains why those are still sold, they are just still the stock, I’m not sure if Egon is still producing them. What I meant with ‘solid’ when I mentioned the KH is not strenght, but the actual build. The KH hub is drilled all the way through to save weight, this also explains why it’s more expensive as it’s harder to do this and still keep strength. The KH hub is very strong, don’t get me wrong on that. Because the Qu-ax is just one solid piece this makes it stronger but also a little heavier.

The KH uses a CrMo axle I think, but the outer shell is made out of aluminium as you need aluminium flanges to avoid breaking spokes, aluminium flexes a bit. Then the axle is just pressed into the hub so it’s not exactly a clump of steel with flanges welded onto it.

Just a question, what frames exist that would fit a 20G tyre on a 20" frame? wouldn’t you have to buy like a 24" frame?

The Nimbus and Nimbus II frame fits the 20G tyre, it also fits the Onza Sticky finger 2.4 (another big 20" tyre).

We also have them in stock here… note to us - must put them on the web.

We use the 20G in a Nimbus frame as our office unicycle… you know the one you ride from the office to the post room (about 100m down twisting corridors). :slight_smile: So it is actually a combination I have a some experience of riding. I must say that I can understand why on a BC wheel it is great as it is high volume, light and smooth. Although on a 20" unicycle it does not feel like a good tyre as the side walls are so thin. It flicks on bounce or cornering. If it is fitted to a rim as wide as a trials rim it might work well but on a standard rim I have not been impressed at all.

Roger

The Koxx-One freestyle line has the light splined cranks.

The Quax ones are lightest.

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=855

They are only 245g for 100mm and 320g for 125mm long. The koxx ones are 354g for the 90mm and 450g for the 140mm. They don’t do a 125 street version yet.

Roger

I can kind of see what Roger’s getting at, but the 20G tyre is afterall, one of almost a hundred 20" tyre options.

As for the 20" rim itself, going for a high quality and reasonably wide BMX rim would be alright, I mean quality BMX rims that are in the centre of trendsville in BMX community. Take for example the Araya Himiko rim, it currently has the undisputedly best quality chrome plating on any 20" BMX rim, plus its design seems to make it very durable when you see how harsh and hard street BMXers go.

I say, quality BMX rim with a good width, added to a nice chunky-ish BMX tyre, and it’ll be without a doubt be interesting to ride. The 20G may be awesome for BC, but as Roger said, it’s not a miracle for 20" unis. We don’t necessarily need fat tyres for street though to be honest… because if you have a high quality BMX rim, high quality built, and a nice slick and popular BMX tyre like the Animal tyres (ASM and GLH 20x2.1") it may feel great for all-round smoothness. It may be a while before this whole 20" thing catches on, but a trials tyre and wheelbuild generally feels too rugged, bouncy, soft, and grippy to give a smooth flowsome ride in flatland and street.

I’m going to be brutally honest, but currently street unicycling is going through its equivalent of ‘adolescence’ in that there is a lot of experimentation and changes going on in both the riding and the unis. Flatland too is relatively recent, but neither street or flat in unicycling are anywhere near the smoothness and flow-some-ness of the BMX equivalents. Compare street BMX to street unicycling, obviously BMX is more flowsome and every move seems knotted in nicely, whilst street unicycling is more: stop, go, stop, go, correction hop, go, stop, correction hop. There’s no real flow in comparison to BMX in both street and flat, but afterall unicycling as a sport is still not fully matured so those will be fixed in time. As of right now, experimentation with quality 20" wheelbuilds with BMX derived components may well be the future for flowsome street and flat.

Just my 2pence (or £1?!), but 20" street is definitely worth a crack.

EDIT: forgot to add: Don’t say, Oh look at Shaun or Xavier you fool, they are so damn flowsome… Well, my reply to that is that they are amazing indeed, but I am sure Xavier at least can admit that sometimes his riding can be improved by the eliminiation of correction hops during his street runs/lines. Also trials unicycling is almost as smooth as biketrials right now in many areas, as trials uni-ing has developed and grown for a much longer time than street uni-ing has, so once street unicyling as taken more time to evolve THEN it will become comparable to the flow of BMX.

i know there not officially street cranks but i was riding them as street and flatland at the toy fair and they stood up very well, granted i didnt do any big street but they were brilliant for tech street, they flip so fast although maybe thats just the build of the cross i don’t know

i know there not officially street cranks but i was riding them as street and flatland at the toy fair and they stood up very well, granted i didnt do any big street but they were brilliant for tech street, they flip so fast although maybe thats just the build of the cross i don’t know

I like the 20inch wheel, it’s lighter and quicker as far as turns go, and I think it looks better than the trials tire. I can jump just as high on my 20inch as I could on a trials tire, and landings on drops don’t feel that hard on it.

I’ve been using the same wheel for around a year and it’s still holding up, so I don’t think 20inch wheels wear out any quicker than trial wheels.

I like bmx unis. They spin/pivot really nice, go fast and smooth and have the potential to be way lighter than a mod uni. There are also MANY more tires for a bmx uni, aswell as many more rims.

Really? I just received my new nimbus II frame today, and it only has about 1/2 inch of clearance on top of the tire. Seems unlikely that a 20G tire would fit. But since you say you’ve done it then I believe you.

Up until last year the Torker DX was 20" splined.