13g spokes VS 14g spokes

I currently run a stock K1 Devil wheelset, and I find myself breaking spokes/nipples often. I’m a rather heavy rider (195 lbs), but I roll out of all my drops so I don’t think I put an excessive amount of stress on the wheel. Every time I replace a spoke I true the wheel, and re-true it after a few minutes.

I am currently running 13g spokes in my wheel, and my LBS does not stock spokes in that size. I asked why, and was told that 13g spokes are heavier than 14g spokes and weaker. I proceeded to ask how 14g spokes could possibly be stronger than 13g spokes and they said, in a rather dismissive way, that using 14g spokes means that one is using thicker nipples as well.

Does this hold true for unicycling? Could 14g spokes solve my problem? I noticed the only place I can buy 13g spokes online is Renegade. On UDC, they claim KH unicycles use 13g spokes but only seem to sell 14g spokes.

Yes this is true. KHU switched from 13g to 14g in April 2009 for this reason. “True” 13g nipples would be stronger, but the problem is that the spoke holes in a standard mtb rim are sized for 14g nipples, so in practice the available 13g nipples fit by using a thinner sidewall nipple.

Kris

Yes this is true. KHU switched from 13g to 14g in April 2009 for this reason. “True” 13g nipples would be stronger, but the problem is that the spoke holes in a standard mtb rim are sized for 14g nipples (e.g. would be too small for 13g nipples), so in practice the compatible 13g nipples are made to fit by using a thinner sidewall.

Kris

I use 14g KH spokes since July, and I’ve broken only 2 nipples but not in a “normal” ride, i fall over the uni with all my body,
flips,doubleflips,hicks, trey’s, 540’s, 720 attemps, lost of combos, a bit of trial n street, and no problem
i think they are the best option!!

I know I really detest my Koxx spokes. I have broken a lot more of them then on my old onza wheelset.

So if I were to buy KH spokes and nipples would they fit in my K1 wheel? I really don’t have the money to buy a whole new wheel but I can’t have my spokes keep snapping.

Check the spoke calculator here for your wheelset; if the spokes are the same length as the KH 19" spokes they will work.

Note that some bikeshops, however, won’t agree to rebuild a used rim if it is out of true.

Check the spoke calculator here for your wheelset; if the spokes are the same length as the KH 19" spokes they will work.

Note that some bikeshops, however, won’t agree to rebuild a used rim if it is out of true.

Kris,

This is the only spoke I can find on UDC that has your name on it. It is listed as 13g. Is this an error by UDC? Or are they simply out of the newer 14g spokes?

Thank you for all the help.

Hey,

You could call them and ask, but UDC likely still has stock in the 13g spokes as listed in the link.

Cheers
K.