12 mile Niner, keep it interesting

I’ve found that my long distance unicycle riding has the same effect in my head as my long distance jogging used to.

I had built up to 18 miles on a weekend run. The reason I stopped, more than anything, was mind numbing boredom. Plop, plop, plop, plop…for hours. Yuck! So, I took to running the trails through the woods. Much more mental stimulus. Way more interesting. Way more fun. (then came all this uni stuff…bye bye jogging.)

Now I ride my 9er for 8 to 12 miles regularly. Of course, its way more interesting just being on a unicycle. But I get bored if I go along a big ole street for several miles. Sometimes its unavoidable if thats the only way to get from here to there.

I rode 12.37 miles yesterday through neighborhoods, parking lots, gravel roads… Resets the brain. I just love it. Must have plenty of “stuff” to weave around or deal with. Hills, sidewalks, curbs, going behind the stores… Just riding straight along for 2 hours, trying to rack up miles, ain’t no fun at all. And I really enjoy the exploring. Every ride is an adventure if you do it right.

I need music on long distance ‘boring’ rides. I find it takes it from very boring to just right.

The distraction of the music makes for more backwards checking, and forcing myself to be more aware. (although, less aware than with no music, i suppose) I keep it at a volume that I can usually hear cars coming up before they pass me.

But, I certainly like mixing up the riding as you mentioned as well.

Hey T-Max,

When I saw the post I knew it was you.

I have found exactly the same thing. As I’m living in a new place I’m using my time-window of unicycling to explore the neighborhood, hop, drop, spin, and climb. It is all very interesting and I get a great workout in at the same time.

Also, I find that this variety helps to keep me from getting burned-out on one particular aspect of unicycling. When I used to get-up and do a trials workout or a lunchtime freestyle ride I found that I would get sore or frustrated.

Variety is the spice of life and playing through the neighborhood(s) is a great way to satisfy many agendas.

Tommy

Hey T-Max,

When I saw the post I knew it was you.

I have found exactly the same thing. As I’m living in a new place I’m using my time-window of unicycling to explore the neighborhood, hop, drop, spin, and climb. It is all very interesting and I get a great workout in at the same time.

Also, I find that this variety helps to keep me from getting burned-out on one particular aspect of unicycling. When I used to get-up and do a trials workout or a lunchtime freestyle ride I found that I would get sore or frustrated.

Variety is the spice of life and playing through the neighborhood(s) is a great way to satisfy many agendas.

Tommy

Tommy, you know we’re going into our rainy season here in Mudville. From now till June it seems like it rains every 3rd day. Just enough to keep the MUni trails sloppy and many times un-fun.

Nice to have another option. You, me, Charles, Wendy and David will have do some touring. You Coker nuts will just have to chill. Or could I push the right buttons to get you Jonesing for a 29er too? There is a nagging hole in your collection.