10th Annual LBI Unithon

Oh man, it’s going to be HOT tomorrow :). I hope you’ve gotten my form in the mail. I’ll be there with two friends. I think one of them mailed the form in, the other is going to bring the money there. I’m excited :).

-Jason

Yes to all. See ya.

Hope you all have a great time!

The Unithon was a good time, again. I’ll definitely be back next year.

My brother took a ton of pictures. If anyone would like any full res. versions, PM me your email address.

10th Annual Unithon Pictures

Here are a few good samples (for those too lazy to click the link):

The crab cycle is NOT easy to ride :).

Well, shadowuni?

Hey all. I’m hoping you can see the shots I got here.

It was a beautiful day. The real heat didn’t hit until after most of the riders had finished. We had 14 riders in all though we did lose one early on to a stripped crank, unfortunately. Lorelle of the ALO tried to track him down and get him to a bike shop, but alas it was not to be.

The riders all finished in between a little more than an hour and a half to four hours. This may be the first year none of the riders followed the “official route” and is definitely the first year the LBI police were uninvolved. The ALO informed all the police depts as usual and not one expressed any interest or concern. No fatalities were reported.

If I’m not mistaken we had 9 riders return and 5 new ones in attendance. I wont even pretend to be able to get all the names right.

As with last year Alan Hollowell donated the t-shirts and did a very nice job with the design. Dave Bagley on the crab is wearing one in the shots chexjc posted. Note how he worked the unicycle parts into the recognition that this was our 10th year.

On a personal note, I must say that I was disappointed that the turnout was the lowest it’s been for many years. The Sprouls who started the ride in 1999 were unable to attend and my communications with them make it unclear if they will again. And so I was even considering letting the event die with this year’s 10th anniversary passing. But I think I can speak for all who attended that they had a good time and regardless of the turnout it’s a worthwhile day for those in the mid-atlantic.

So, I look forward to seeing you all again and then some for our 11th year, most likely on Saturday, June 6, 2009.

A group of four riders (I think) finished at 1:35. I finished 7 minutes afterward. Pretty intense.

Edit: I don’t think anyone was going for the world record though.