1000km Charity ride across the Roof of the World to Everest

A lot of predictable comments on Gizmodo and Fark - but to be fair on the idiots, most of the publicity writeups do at first glance make it sound as if Steve is going to ride up Everest - presumably that’s the journalists going for sensationalism. If you read it all, of course, it explains it, but those sort of people lose interest after the first sentence or two.

Rob

Snotty letter of complaint has now been sent to the Guardian!

I’d just like to thank the following unicyclists for their generous donations;

Trevor Ogden
Paul Royle
Rob Northcott
Alan & Vicky Chambers
Russel Crosbie

It’s also a great way to bump it to the top again.

I’ve just been interviewed by Trail, Chat Weekly, What Mountain Bike, The Weekly News and Cycling World, so there should be something on their websites at some point. Lets hope they’re better than the Guardian Newspaper at understanding what it actually happening!

Steve

You’ve made it onto Slashdot Steve

A couple of good comments below the article.

Paul

that guardian article is crap. But I saw you in the sun the other day, it was a pretty cool picture in there.

“It’s not like he’s Paris Hilton or some shit” :smiley:
That needs to go in Steve’s sig.

Hi steve- nice work on all the great publicity (just a shame that your article in the guardian was written by an ignorant twat who obviously misrepresented what your doing for some agenda of his own). All the best with the ride and the fundrasing. Just wondering if you are doing this solo or with a support crew?
ok best of luck,
Mark

Thanks for your support Mark. I think we’re all in agreement about the article in the Guardian. You summed him up nicely!

While on the ride I will be supported by a company called Red Spokes Adventure Tours
Have a look at http://www.unicyclesteve.com for full details.

Another big thank you to Joe Marshall (& Penny) for their support and generous donation.

TV Interview

I spent 2 1/2 hours being filmed/interviewed yesterday by Granada Reports (ITV). It will be broadcast either this evening (Thursday 18/9/08), or tomorrow evening, between 6 and 6:30pm (UK time).

If someone (Gary) could record it and post it on this thread, I would appreciate it, as I don’t know how to do it myself. Ta.

Steve

As Granada is not my area Sky+ won’t record it :angry: But I’ve set Granada up in Sky’s “Other Channels” and I’ll record it live to my PC :slight_smile:

I should be able to get Granada - I think I can get all the local variations. I’ll record it in case Gary’s doesn’t work for some reason.

Rob

Well, I recorded Granada Reports but couldn’t find Steve on it. I’ll leave it set to record again tomorrow in case nobody else gets it, but I’m off to Joe’s Peaks weekend so I won’t be able to do anything with it until Monday evening. It’ll do as a backup though if Gary’s fails.

Rob

No not on tonight - good to know someone else is recording it then between us we should get it sorted.

Unfortunately I can’t get to Joe’s Peak’s trip and I’m loads closer than you to it :frowning:

The program should be on tomorrow evening then. I’ll email the presenter to get confirmation. Thanks Gary & Rob for being on the case.

Thank you to Roland & Sarah Sutton, Tony Melton & John Spilsbury for more generous donations.

Steve

Doesn’t look as though it will be broadcast this evening after all. They say it’s looking more like Monday now, with a small possibility it may be over the weekend :roll_eyes:

I have been told they will try to let me know beforehand :thinking:

Steve

Good luck Steve

Hey Steve

someone at work the other day said - did you see that guy in the paper on a Mountain unicycle( at that point i had to wrestle with the only guy in the room who knows I unicycle badly! and jokingly i said - well of course i’ll know him!):slight_smile: Ian came home from work( in manchester) tonight with a copy of the metro and guess what we do know you!!!

Emily is busy scanning it onto her web site and i’m going to take it to work !

I hope you raise lots of money

Its a brilliant advert for the sport. Hope you didn’t fall off on the telly and if you did you would have fallen off with style!

Lisa:)

On TV tonight

I’ve been informed that it ‘should’ be on TV this evening, between 6 and 6.30pm (UK time). ITV Granada Reports.

Lets hope it’s happening this time.

Steve

OK Steve, I’m back now so I’ll record it this evening. Hopefully one of us will get it eventually :slight_smile:

Rob

Yes you were on tonight :slight_smile: It recorded fine and I’ve uploaded the segment to Megaupload.

High quality large file (21.7MB) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DU5XM8NV

Low quality small file (3.42MB) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DEIT0VI9

Both are encoded with XviD

It’s also on the ITV Local site but I can’t get it to work at the moment (system error?)

Mirror: http://www.geoffreyhuntley.com/SteveC_on_Granada_Reports-big.avi