10 years Universary / Giraffe

It’s been ten fun years since I got this silly and impulsive idea to learn how to ride a unicycle. I thought this was a good opportunity to make another video, and to ride my giraffe for the first time. My wife made it clear that she wouldn’t drive me to the emergency room because of the corona situation, so I was a little bit nervous.

Nice. I have been waiting for you to try this out. Funny video, particularly to start the giraffe again the same wall where this all begun.

P.S. You got a great deal on that uni!

Thanks. $30 for a giraffe in perfect technical condition is not bad. Some surface rust on the chrome. It came up for sale in a city 30 km away. I emailed the lady and told her I would buy it if she was willing to bring it with her the next time she was going to Oslo. I got it a week later. I’m not going to ride it much, but I’ll hang on to it in case I learn how to idle. You can of course borrow it if you like Ruari.

Looks like you’re having fun!

I learned in the garage hanging on to the overhead door rails before heading out into the wild.

I eventually changed the cranks and switched the chainring until my $60 new giraffe my wife bought for me as a present was equivalent to 28 gear inches. Then It became useful to commute on. I’ll usually commit to commuting all five day for a week at least once a year to justify still owning it. But on years I’ve been in recovery from breaking one or the other leg the giraffe and 52” penny farthing have both spent at least a year in the attic or until I can get my leg to bend sufficiently to mount comfortably again.

i still own a wheel for it with a three speed hub with 2nd gear locked up so 1st and 3rd are usable with no freewheel. Wicked thing to ride in 3rd gear with 42x19 chainring and cog! With this wheel setup mounted in the giraffe i think I was certainly looking to get hurt.

Enjoy,
JM

3 Likes

Brilliant! But note I hate seeing all the dismounts from the giraffe, planned or unplanned.
Take care :slight_smile:

7 weeks after ankle surgery post giraffe bad dismount. 100% reliant on crutches for the first 2 weeks.

Not 100% strong as yet and my left ankle balance is terrible.
Getting there though.