1 foot unicycling

Hey unicyclists i need help/a tutorial video or text. I got a crap unicycle and the frame is curved so i just have my leg hangin out. my record is 17 pedals but my average is about 3-5 lol. Can u ppls give me a tutorial or some tips on riding one footed?

same here,
my crown is rounded and its kinda hard.
i just learned though by practicing alot.
just know where th put ur foot and out ur arms out straught

you can still put your foot on a rounded crown, just put your foot there as if you had a crown… its easy. :slight_smile:

Keep your back straight, but if you have to use your body to stay up (you’ll probly be jerky at first). With each revolution apply pressure to the pedals evenly and try to keep it smooth. Shorter cranks make 1 foot riding easier because you can pedal smoother.

Putting your foot on the frame makes such a difference although it is scarier to do at first. After much practice I can ride pretty much as far as I want with my foot on the frame but with my leg sticking out I fall off after about 10-20 pedals. I’d say the most important thing is how much pressure you put on at what time.

If you ride down curbs as badly as I used to you’ll get the hang of it pretty quickly just trying to not upd.

My new record is 48 revolutions!

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thx people but i find it hard to put my foot on the frame because my seat is lowered heeps. My frends dad welded a few months afta i got it when it was learning so it duznt raise any higher. I found out where to put it i just push my leg against the long bit of the frame and is bent, kinda hard to xplain. But yer im getting better

My record was 17 or something now 48
Average was like 3-5 now is like 10

put grip tape on your frame so your foot will not slide off…
It is easier to keep your balance with your foot on the frame :roll_eyes:

woot

YAY i passed the century i got 108 :slight_smile: :astonished: :smiley:
My average is i dunno 20+ so yer im becoming gewd:D

i have a crown on my unicycle but i really dont like putting my foot there it makes me feel like i have less controll i tend to just rest my shin on the crown instead of hanging it out to the side
p.s i rode almost half a mile that way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Haha, I can only get 1/4th a rev…

My advice is to practise, and thats really all I got…

But if you practise by doing it one rev at a time, you will eventually want to challenge yourself with more revs at once.

It duznt fit with my shoe on it cos foots to big and the frame is too small but i can put my foot verticle bare footd and ride

My advice is to just keep trying, and eventually you’ll get better so that you can ride as long as you want one footed. I just spent an hour or two trying, and by the end of it I could ride quite a ways. Now its just as easy as normal riding, and I’m even learning on my other foot.

If you aren’t to full revolutions yet, briefly take your foot off the pedal as it reaches it’s max height. Try to do it a bunch of times in a row. Then for a full rev and back on the pedal, then 2, 3, etc.

…or if your crown is too high put some grip tape on the side of the fork leg and put your foot there, like BM did in TWNR on his 36. Just make sure it’s high enough for your foot to clear the pedal as it comes around.

For tricks like onefooted riding and backwards riding,

how far do you have to be able to ride it for you to say you can.

I’d say you have to do it as far as the IUF skill levels say you have to, but you have to be able to do it every time.

I dont…
I say if you can ride say 4-5 pedal revs then plant your feet back on the pedals/pedal forwards again and ride off you can do it.
IMO the levels suck and are only there for the ‘i wanna be better than you and hang it on you’ people.
dont ride for levels, ride for enjoyment.

If I was a freestyle rider I would definetly use the levels as something to aim for.

The majority of people that I see complaining about the levels are people who hardly focus much into freestyle except for some of the basics. I dont know, it just seems funny to me when I see a street or a trials rider say the levels are a waste.

To me they are a sweet guideline and an easy way to set a goal and push for it, and its set up pretty well too.

I ride a lot of trials, so they really dont bother me, and thats why I havent gotten tested for them, but I still look to them for when I practice freestyle.

When I ride one footed, I ride with the seat a little behind the wheel, and I push down with the foot on the crown. I also find it easier to move my foot from pedal to crown at the top of the rotation, and foot back to pedal can happen whenever I want. As for turning, just leaning the way i’m gonna turn does it for me.

How about if you ride 1 rev and then go back to two pedalled? Does that qualify one to say “i can ride one pedalled”?
Maybe you can; but if you make that claim and someone calls you on it, and you do your one rev you’re in for some ridicule.

If there’s to be any kind of standard that one can attain to determine whether someone is capable of performing a manouevre, the IUF is best placed to make that call. They have an well defined standards and an examining body to ensure that acheivements are awarded only to those who deserve them according the rules. You don’t have to take the exam to know what you can and can’t do.
The rules are pretty strict, and I certainly can’t ride one footed according to them (10m consistently is still a little beyond me), so if questioned, the answer has to be “No I can’t ride one pedalled”. It’s not about having one up on anyone, it’s about feeling the confidence of knowing you’re profficient to a recognised level.

Riding for fun can be about personal targets. Once I’ve got this down pat, the wheel walk is next for me, and I won’t be satisfied until I can roll it 10m.