Zonk!

Went out for a quick 30km spin on my MUni yesterday. Unfortunately in my glee I skipped the usual pre-ride peanut butter/jam sandwhich and I hadn’t had anything to eat since breakfast.

Got to the beach about 15km from home and just as I began heading back I began to feel a sinking feeling and sense of impending doom. By about 20km I was wobbling all over the place and at 25km I was considering stopping and begging for food (which I have done before). I managed to grovel all the way home feeling really AWFUL. It is one of the most horrible sensations when you absolutely run out of energy. This, however, is the first time it has happened to me on a MUni. Every other time (biking or running) I promise that I would always carry food/slime and/or money so that it would never happen again, but I still get caught short on occasion. The 30k spin turned into a 2 1/2hr crawl. Anyway, when I got home it was the usual case of shovelling as much food into my face as possible. Whatever was available in the fridge. Turned out to be cheese on rice (not too bad actually- need to melt the cheese though).

Moral of the story- eat before a ride and always carry some food/slime/money just in case.

In running circles this is known as “hitting the wall”, in mountainbiking it’s known as the “Bonk”. What do you call it when it happens on a unicycle? Zonk?:frowning:

I still call it a Bonk, From hiking and rock climbing we us the same term.

Re: Zonk!

I suffered this recently on a Coker ride. Horrible - woozy and
nauseous. A small bar of chocolate from Mr. Wiggins got me
going again within minutes.

Must remember to carry food in future.

Bonk has another meaning in the UK… :slight_smile:

Arnold the Aardvark

Arnold the Aardvark wrote:
> I suffered this recently on a Coker ride. Horrible - woozy and
> nauseous. A small bar of chocolate from Mr. Wiggins got me
> going again within minutes.

Er, that would be two small bars of chocolate. I’m generous, me. :wink:

Regards,
Mark.

Might that have been Hershey’s chocolate?

Just wonderin’
Bruce

> Er, that would be two small bars of chocolate. I’m generous, me. :wink:

I said to myself, “Let’s keep extraneous details out of the picture.”,
knowing
you would be unable to resist. :-). Thanks, by the way.

Re: Re: Zonk!

This will give me a great excuse to take chocolate with me when I ride :slight_smile:

As to whether it will stop me bonking…isn’t chocolate supposed to have aphrodisiac powers :smiley:

Gary

… could use a good bonk… sigh

Half a bonk?

I suffered this on my first MUni ride. It was cured with a $3.99 large cheese pizza from Hungry Howies.

It could be a Bo, on, or nk.

> It could be a Bo, on, or nk.

And if it’s on, the solution is obvious: BK.