Yuni 29" Touring Cycle

Why do you have to run it at max? I always do that to all my tires other than my mtn b*ke, but why is it so important with the Big Apple?

Max is 60 or 65 psi. Run it at 40.

OK, that kind of contradicts what Donna said, so could you two please try to prove your points? Thanks!

Aside from that, I just e-mailed UDC to ask which seat clamp it came with and also how much it would cost to get some Odyssey Twisted Pro Pedals installed instead of the cheapo plastic ones that it comes with.

I’m sure it’s a matter of opinion, but (repeating myself here) I ran it at 60 for a while and found that it tended to slip easily off of small obstacles. At 40 psi it’s a pleasant bouncy ride and the larger contact area makes it grippier.

Try it both ways and see what you think.

–Mark

I prefer having the Big Apple at a higher PSI, because it decreases the rolling resistance a very noticeable amount, and makes turning much easier. After a week on the 29’er, it was very manoeuverable, and I could definitely toss the thing around much like it was a 24 with really short cranks. Hopping sucked, but frankly, I don’t really need to hop on a 29’er :smiley:

also, tyler, the nimbus comes with a really good quick release and some really really nice pinned pedals (I don’t like them too grippy, these turned out to be a perfect balance for me). You should just get over your silly dislike of round crowns and get the damn nimbus.

-dave

Ok, I think I’m going to order the silver Yuni tomorrow! Speak now or forever hold your peace! :smiley:

I think you are being more than a little precious about this, Tyler. You’re unlikely to do any serious freestyle riding on a 29er so having a rounded crown shouldn’t put you off. I have ridden 29ers with the Nimbus II frame and the Semcycle XLW frame. I knocked my knees on the Nimbus II frame painfully when riding offroad, as others have mentioned above. No such problems with the narrower Semcycle frame. The Unicycle.com Nimbus 29er has a rounded crown and fits the Big Apple tyre. Go for the UDC Nimbus 29er and your knees will thank you for it!

Alright, I’ve considered the Nimbus, and I think I will go for it! I don’t want to knock my knees or have to replace the crappy Yuni pedals, so the Nimbus is da one! I did notice it had a single-walled rim, will this be bad compared to the Yuni’s double walled one?

Please answer, I have to order soon! WILL THE SINGLE WALLED RIM BE BAD???

Ya, its going to fall apart instantly.

Seriously though, its alu right, so it should still be pretty strong, unless your doing drops over 3 feet I think you will be set, it might be lighter also.

the single walled rim will not be bad as long as it’s a well built wheel, and especially if you do nothing other than commuting on it. don’t try any freestyle, or muni, or anything.
except I would suggest the double walled rim, because it’s often hard to resist trying other stuff on it.

I just officially ordered the 29" Nimbus!
I hope my knees will thank me, and that rim isn’t too flimsy! You’ll never believe it, but I had exactly the right amount (to the dollar) that I needed to buy it! W00t! It should be here by Friday… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m so phyched about this, could everyone post pictures of their Nimbus 29ers so it will give me something to look at and take my mind off of my incredible excitement? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

im too late on this thread, but you should have gone with the Yuni. Ive had mine for over a year now and no complaints.

Well, I think the frame would hit my knees and I would have to upgrade the pedals right away on the Yuni. On the Nimbus, the pedals and cranks are better than on the Yuni, it is cheaper, plus it has a stronger hub. The only downside is the rim, but I won’t be offroading, anyway!

By the way, can I still ride on light trails (no drops, just semi-flat dirt) with the single walled rim?

I would have gone with the Nimbus. Good choice! I don’t think either rim will hold up too well to the abuse of off road ridding with a heavy rider but since you are light it will be fine. and if you trash the rim then have a Kris Holm rim laced on and you will be set.

I ride grass and light trails with my Nimbus 29 with Big Apple tyre. And it’s great.

cathy

Im still using the plastic pedals that came with my yuni…they arent that bad, and I never hit my knees on the frame. Im sure they are both great unicycles anyway, i hope you enjoy the 29er, they are quite fun.

Do you have a pic of yours I could see?

hey dude. I totally reccomend that uni. The nimbus, while perhaps not a kh 29’er, is still fine for light trail use, and it’s what mikefule rides on when he does his 28’er runs, albeit with a different tire. It has a wonderful flywheel effect when you ride. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll never want to give it up. Have fun! :smiley: