Your worst collision/UPD .....

I had that work for me twice, still UPD, but at least the feet aren’t tied to the pedals. The third time the laces tore through my FiveTen Freeriders. Costly.

I took the photo, so we cannot see me there
The guy with the hoodie is Alan Hogan, he organized the unitour “Into the Skie” in Scotland, it was in June this year, last day of riding
She pushed me with her bumper !!! and i broke her miror during the UPD but I don’t know why exactly; hopefully I guess she was not driving at a high speed

This thread has made me start tucking my shoe laces in. They’re short enough that they can’t get tangled under normal circumstances, but now I’m imagining them coming undone at speed :astonished: .

The other side of the Vauxhall Astra with my tire mark on the bumper …

I don’t know, but was it on a single track road with passing places, as many are up in Skye and the Western Isles? If she had been a local, I’d have thought she should have known better.

Jerry

I had a shoelace wrap-up incident the first time I ever showed my friend my new skill (IE. being able to race for the whole street!) :smiley: I suppose it’s a good job it was a small (24") wheel so I wasn’t going crazy quick, and it was early enough in my career that since then I’ve ALWAYS taken precautions against it happening. I felt like if I’d have fallen much harder I’d have snapped my ankle - it was basically at full lock twisted sideways by the time I hit the ground. My pride and dignity were left at home that day, but they would’ve been bruised had I had them :smiley:

Ahh, cool! That ride looked like great fun :smiley:

Crazy driver though. There’s really no excuse for bumping into people on the road, specially when they’re on a massive unicycle (IE. completely visible)!

:astonished: :astonished:

Wow, both of those are horrid.

Straight and flat twin tracks road, nobody coming in front of us, nice weather, very optimum conditions …

It happened after Unicon in November. I know! I have had some bad injuries.

Wednesday received my new 36 from udc. Thursday I tried riding down my drive (steep, loose, gravel), fell off the back, and now have a nice big swelling on my wrist & a pretty coloured bruise on my elbow. It’s not broken, but it makes a funny click when I turn my hand over. Guess I’ll go back to riding on smooth tarmac for a while! At least a busted wrist doesn’t spoil uni the way it does b#ke riding!

I have troubles with both my wrists right now (I think I must have torn the muscle when carrying a door down and back up the stairs). And if it doesn’t get better soon it will affect riding. The Fusion Zero doesn’t really feel good without working the handlebar.

It’s actually fine when I ride or stand up without holding on, you just don’t feel where it is like the KH Slim I’m used to.

Sprained wrist

My personal worst injury so far, which is far from the worst I’ve seen on my riding friends just this year, was a sprained wrist a few weeks ago. The rains returned, and on my way out of the MTB park, I decided to try to roll up a very simple feature, a plank ramp up to a long log. I didn’t test out the tire grip first, and I just went for it. The wheel simply locked and slid out in front of me, sending me straight down on my back. However I made the mistake of putting my right hand down first and landed on my hand first, bending the wrist back. I’m still icing it today.

I gave my wrist-guarded KH gloves a little kiss because I know that if I didn’t have that extra stiffness, I definitely would have broken my wrist right there. Gear is Good.

1978, hopping from a 5’ giraffe trying to dunk a basketball.

Broke the fifth metatarsal, right foot.

Missed the dunk.

I did it the opposite way. Broke my wrist first (3 years ago) and bought KH gloves afterwards :astonished:

Best regards,
Sanne

I had a UPD on the KH36 on monday. Slipped off the pedal when trying to correct my foot position after mounting. The foot got hooked and I fell face first with my right foot hooked.

I’ve had this fall multiple times on my 26" uni and always got away with scratches (I wear these gloves: http://www.engelbert-strauss.de/en/Personal_Protection/Gloves/Hybrid/e_s_Mechanic_s_gloves_Viper-2000690-7610506-138-875.html).

This time the impact was way harder, due to the added height and added weight of a 2.5 kg lock in my already heavy backpack (with laptop and tools etc.). The pain in my right wrist was excruciating and I was certain it was broken, but after an X-Ray in the ER, I was told it’s only a contusion. Any way, I celebrated my luck by ordering a pair of KH Pulse (full fingered) and Odyssey Twisted PCs (where I can correct my foot position without taking the foot off the pedal).

Today is my first day back to work, the swelling is almost gone and I’ve got about 50% of my wrist mobility back. I cannot put pressure on the wrist, but I can type and use a mouse with little pain.

All my bad falls are all landing on the wrist first. The Hillbilly Gloves really helps. One time, a while ago, I hesitated, didnt fully commit, lost focus, pulled back, slipped downhills, fell back on the 36er with the wheel laying on the side on top of my bent back knee and foot jammed in the spokes. I really thought I tore my knee out. Luckily I got up and thanked my lucky stars with only a couple of bloody fingers, a sore knee and a pedal strike.

I learned my lesson ever since. Always fully commit all the way into your actions. Momentary hesitation and you will lean back and fall backwards, not good nor pretty on the 36er(well unless…the one scenario, hestitating to go flying off the cliff :wink:

Correct me if I am wrong but I have impression the KH gloves only have one stiffener.

I use full wrist guards with double stiffeners and three Velcro straps. I have gone down hard on them without hurting my wrist at all. Ground quite a bit of the plastic away on the palm side in the worst event as I slid down the bitumen with my arm out in front.

They are completely fingerless but I have not had any finger injuries.

Absolutely. It generally ends better to fall from an active riding position than to drift in to a situation akin to a lollipop precariously balanced on its stick. Once you are that lollipop you have very little to push against to eject yourself so the rider and uni tend to collapse in a heap.

Yup, like a lolipop precariously balanced on a stick, and collapse in a heap;)

…excellent choice of words