Xpedo Pedals

Hi, winter has arrived in Israel and I was sick and tired of the Jim C pedals that are notoriously slippery when wet! So my friend and I went out and splurged on some Xpedo MG CR pedals. See the picture below.
Xpedo Pedals

At 416Grams these things are sweet and they have so much grip! My KH20 is a different beast now! We got a good deal because we bought two pairs so we got a 10% discount. The salesman will keep on giving me the discount if I buy more pairs for my KH24. I am considereing this but have not found a place where I can get the spare pins. I specifically would like to get the groved ones. Tons of places carry great pedals here but no one caries the replacement pins. I am even willing to order from abroad. Can anyone help me out with this issue.

I appreciate the help.

Unicorn

MX_3S_single.jpg

Dan’s Comp sells replacement pedal pins for several different pedals. It looks like the socket head pins are the same as those used on the Xpedo pedals, but no guarantee.

Have you contacted Xpedo? The web site shows they offer replacement kits for their pedals. Just a matter of buying them and getting them shipped.

Replacement Pins

John,

Thanks for the link. You are correct, Xpedo does have replacement pin kits shown on thier site. It is the first place that I looked. However they don’t sell retail. For some reason it is quite dificult to find replacement pins. On my MUni I have Bontrager Big Earl pedals with the allen pins. I hate the allen pins they are so fragile. It is hard to find them at normal prices. I actually did find great substitutes in a hardware store for a decent price.

Thanks Unicorn

Hi John,

I was thinking of getting some of the Xpedos also to replace my trusty sealed Snafus. I’ve used the Wellgo MG-1’s which I don’t really like even though they’re extremely light and grippy. (They feel too grippy and very fragile!)

I remember you (or was it Roger) saying something along the lines of being wary of sealed pedals because they habit of falling off the axle when they die. And I remember reading somewhere on the forum about it happening to someone with MG-1’s. I think Xpedo is made by Wellgo from memory. Anyway, what do you think the likelihood of that happening to the Xpedo bearing design?

I’m terrified of the prospect of my pedal falling off at high revs :astonished:

Cheers,

Ken

Bummer that Xpedo doesn’t sell the replacement parts to the public. That’s going to make it difficult to find them. Looks like the parts would have to be a special order item from a bike shop that carries Xpedo or has access to the catalog and distributor that carries Xpedo.

It looks like the Xpedo pedals possibly (likely?) use the Wellgo design that can fall off the spindle. Most pedals that have an endcap that looks like the one on the Xpedo pedals have the affected pedal design.

It is a manageable problem. Replace the bearings on a regular maintenance schedule before the bearings fail (fall apart).

It’s more of a problem for muni and trials cause the pedals take more abuse. The failure is going to happen after a hard impact situation (like landing a drop or a hard crash where the unicycle hits the ground hard). For Coker style riding it’s not so likely.

Warning signs are excess play in the pedals where tightening the end cap doesn’t make the play go away. That play is caused by the bearing flexing. Replace the bearings and it will be fine again.

It’s the pedal/spindle design, not the use of sealed bearings, that is the issue.

Some sealed-bearing pedals use the endcap to keep the pedal on the spindle, such as the Azonic A-frame and others. For these pedals, just use blue loctite on the endcap and check it; not really a big deal. Typically the pedal would feel or sound loose before the endcap fell off, anyway.

Other sealed-bearing pedal designs rely on end-spindle nuts to keep the pedal on; the endcap is dirt/moisture/impact protection only. This is a superior design, in my opinion. The Profile Racing Gas Pedal is in this camp, as are others.

Thanks for that. Sealed Snafu’s are my favourite pedal, but I’d like something a bit lighter that is just as large and stable and not liable to falling off or require me to replace the bearings every few months.

Any suggestions?

There are two ways the pedal can fall off the spindle.

The endcap can come undone. The pedal will slide right off the spindle and you’ll likely lose the endcap. Blue loctite or even nail polish on the threads will stop that.

The second way is that the bearing falls apart. The pedal can now fall off the spindle even if the endcap is still attached.

It’s the second cause that has gotten me and why I don’t like that pedal design. If you are aware of the potential problem and know what is going on you can usually catch it before the bearing actually fails. There will be excess play in the pedal and tightening the endcap won’t get rid of the play. In that situation the bearing is flexing and loose. Time to replace the bearing. Catch it early and you’re good. Ignore it and the pedal will fall off during a muni ride.

The Shimano PD-MX30 pedals have a better bearing design. But they’re 492g for the pair.

I used to like AtomLab pedals but their new pedal designs may not be as reliable. They change things every year so their current pedals are an unknown.

I was thinking about trying atomlabs General Issue pedals, have you any experience with these? They’re very similiar to the Aircorp, but with regular bearing options as well as that DU bushing bearing-thing. I am going to try 'em here in a while and I’ll put 'em through the JC test.

the redesigned 24 butterfly pedals are supposed to not fall off the spindle now.

Give them a try. I like AtomLab even though they do sometimes release a dud design. That’s one risk when constantly reving the products every year rather than keeping a design the same. If they kept things the same every year they wouldn’t be AtomLab.

I haven’t used or looked at the General Issue pedals. They look good and are less expensive than the CNC machined pedals. Less expensive is a good thing.

but they’re very similiar to the aircorp. When I get to my LBS I’ll order some, expect a review. :smiley:

Review of Use.

Well after riding quite a bit with them I love my new Xpedos. Yes, Xpedo is owned by Wellgo. It is Wellgo’s high end brand. Kind of like Accura being the high end Honda. The socket head pins are great for grip and so much hardier than the Allen pins. Also if they do come undone It will not be a bitch to chage them. With the Allen pins the Allen hole always gets bent out of shape and filled with mud and stones. I always kill myself with pliers or vice grips to screw and unscrew them. They are also pretty wide giving a lot of foot space. Thier profile is about a centimemter thinner than the Odessys. This lets me lean into turns more without hitting the pedal on the pavement.

I found the Odesseys to be one of the slipperiest pedals out there when wet.
This is such an improvement.

Unicorn

sry for the thread jak, but has anyone tried the Kona Jack Sh*t pedal?

For years.

Strong, large plateform, and very grippy. I love them.

I’ve tried Kona Jackshit’s and Axiom Doublejump Flats on Trials_Uni Unicycle, both very similar pedals, one is sealed, one is unsealed.

They’re intensely grippy, and extremely light, I would recommend them in a heartbeat.