Would you call these crankflips??? (footage) -learning to crankflip

The reason your flips look like that is because you’re doing them like revs. You’ve actually got to get snap by putting pressure on the front foot and then jumping. Also try jumping higher. When I do crankflips without jumping very high they look like that.

+1
Yeah, I was going to say this but I was too lazy. My “lateflips” are more like late no footer revs and they look just like these. People and you keep saying “kicking”, but there isn’t much of a kick, you apply pressure and that is it, don’t follow thru with it. (this is for me, at least)

Sorry to ask yet another question about crankflips, but I’d like some advice. Here is a video of my crankflips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4WAZ0bzY8Q

I can land fine but I have trouble getting a strong kick, or a kick at all for that matter. And even when I really focus on kicking, and I feel like I’m kicking, nothing changes. Any advice or tips on kicking would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

I’d say jump higher, pull the uni up beneath you and keep practicing. :slight_smile:

Ya, that’s what I thought. It just seems the higher I jump the less snap I get. Thanks for the advice.

get a lil bit more over the uni and pull the uni up close you for the flip, you can actually flip harder just by pulling the uni up as you go to push down for the flip.

One good way to see an example of this is when people do a triple flip or a quad you will generally notice that the unicycle is basically up close to them.

Thanks guys! I went out and practiced keeping the uni close to me and it feels like I can actually get the snap now. They’re not perfect yet but I think I will actually make some progress now. That was the one tip I hadn’t heard yet.
Thanks!

Here are my new (and hopefully improved) crankflips. I was pulling up as hard as I could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRkGy_GXrQ

A few nice bails too. What do you guys think? I will probably try them off a curb later today.

Second vid looks like your getting it.

Just to expand a bit on what was said about pulling the uni up closer to you. I think that is a weird way to say what is actually happening.

When ever you do flip tricks you are kicking the pedal. If you just jump up and try to kick you are not going to have much force to give the pedal, so keeping the uni closer to you will help, but to me this will make the rider kick less.

What you should be thinking about is kicking away from your hand. You pull up really hard on the handle and kick away from it. Think about an invisible line that stretches in between your handle, and pedal. The idea is to pull away from your foot, and kick away from your hand, stretch and snap that invisible line as hard as you can.

In the long run you will find that pulling up on the handle will help you flip much better and faster than just jumping and kicking. This technique should also give you a massive head start on double flips and back flips where pulling on the handle becomes much more obvious.

If you are not hurting your fingers you are not pulling hard enough.

Thanks, I will try to visualize that. My fingers have actually been hurting when I flip. I will keep practicing.