Would a pair of womens bike shorts hold up the goochie bag better than a mens pair?

Here is what I mean…

I bought a pair of mens bike shorts hoping that they will fit snug enough to keep me from pinching or sitting on my sac. The bike shorts work ok, but after a few falls off the unicycle they settle lower and they need readjustment.

I don’t want to keep reaching in and readjusting.

So, I know this is a weird question, but would a womens pair of bike shorts hold things where I want them better? I think they might.

I am sure someone out there might have seen both pairs side by side.

Maybe a lady has a male friend that would try this??? I just don’t have any idea what the difference is between the two pairs.

If They were worn under a pair of board shorts no one would know.

And NO, I am not a cross dresser! I almost didn’t post this.

Womens bike shorts are cut differently than mens. They allow more room for hips, and are usually shorter at the waistband, and the legs. Generally the more expensive bike shorts have more panels of fabric allowing a better fit in the range of motion. This helps things stay put, and reduces chaffing. The better shorts have gripper elastic around the hem, and sometimes at the waist to keep the shorts from slipping, or bunching up.

I don’t think women’s shorts will help too much, and may accentuate the problem. Sometimes we just need an adjustment. Of course a better solution would be to not fall, but given the tippy nature of a uni it’s a tall order.

Unicycle shorts

Bike shorts have been satifactory on two wheels but not on one. For me, they are worse than just regular clothes.

My notion of a “better mousetrap” is bike shorts incorporating a jock strap that would then be called unicyle shorts.

What time does the patent office open?

My experience with cycling shorts is that a “good enough fit” is more difficult to achieve for unicycling than bicycling. I have 4 or 5 pairs that all fit a little differently and are more or less ideal depending on my current weight and muscle tone.

I recommend trying a different brand, which will be cut and sized a little differently.

Three solutions:

1. Don’t fall as much :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. Just keep readjusting…I think most riders do this anyway, or work it in to their mounting technique.
  3. Get your bike shorts a size smaller than whatever you currently have.

Don’t get women’s shorts.

Take a bit of time as you put you weight on the saddle to squirm about and move your knees outwards. You can almost always avoid sitting on your plums without using your hands but it is a skill, if perhaps a bizarre one, and like any skill requires practice.

I’ve been trying out a pair of bib knicks lately, not these but this kind of thing:

I was kinda skeptical beforehand but it turns out they are really comfortable for unicycling and the bib or whatever it’s called helps keep the knicks in place and support junk, noticeably more than standard knicks.

Bike Shorts

On the advice of a cyclist friend, I bought a pair of Sugoi Evolution shorts. Worn without underwear they are a big improvement. I suspect they would be even better with a different arrangement of the padding because the pressure area for unicyclists is more towards the front.

http://sugoi.com/can/eng/

Right. Bibs are the way to go. I had mine for years and don’t ride a meter without them.

Just wear loose fitting shorts and dangle one goolie each side of the seat, like panniers.

Obviously on a warm day there is a risk they’ll catch in the spokes (or, on a giraffe, the chain) but are you a man or a mouse?

I agree with drumstuck completely. I’m a newbie who can only ride with padded cycle shorts. I’m already starting to notice that I can “squirm about” to improve the position of my nads. It’s definately a fledgling skill for me that didn’t exist at all when I started but will probably improve greatly in the future.

Thanks everyone,
I had a pair of Canari Velo Gel Cycling Shorts and tried them around the block.
They seemed to fit ok but the stitching came loose so I returned them and bought a better brand. The brand I have been wearing are pearl izumi.

I think that the Pearl izumi fit looser on me than the Canari’s did. Maybe a smaller size would be all I need.

Thanks.

I recently bought a pair of Specialized mountain bike shorts that have cycling shorts inside of them and the fit / comfort seems to work well

I agree on the bib shorts.

I used to ride a bike a lot, but I never got to the point of thinking I needed the best shorts. A uni has changed my thinking on that matter.

2 hours or so of riding is ok. More than that I need the best shorts.

I find that even with all the precautions, preparation and after care, 3++ to 4 hours or more in the saddle is tough with average to better shorts, in my opinion. After the longer rides, I then have to take days off to heal up a bit, so…

Reference some previous postings where is was looking for better padding options, I went for the Castelli Endurance Bib Shorts (on sale!!).

Quite a difference, imo, even in comparison to the better quality shorts I had before. The shoulder straps on the bid shorts keep the tension hiking upwards!!!

They are a tad spendy, but I’m really not happy with saddle soreness, so it’s worth it.

My advice would be to go directly to the best shorts you can buy and bypass spending money on type trailing all the intermediate versions.