woods+15 year old boys+chainsaw=

Darn I was hopping to see somthing bloody…

I thought Ash was older than that :thinking:

whoops…

evil dead.jpg

So what’s the message here? That some horrible kids have damaged the timber ramps and stuff?

Look on the bright side. Chainsaws are dangerous. Perhaps the little sods will finish themselves off.

I thought they were ramps ‘n’ stuff that the 15 year olds built using a chainsaw, not vandalised.

So, unicylepa, what’s it all about?

That looks like a lot of fun! :slight_smile: (well, not necessarily making it, but a lot of fun to ride on). I don’t know of any decent woods near my house that I could use to build that kind of stuff in, but I really want to try riding it sometime. By the way, does anyone know if there are any cool trails with structures in southwest whashington?

Re: woods+15 year old boys+chainsaw=

Hey where is that?!?!?! I might come out there if its still up!?!

-Dan

Are there any lions out there?

my frend and i built it (15 yearold boys) with a chainsaw in the woods and yes it is fun and its in my back yard

nice, man. I like.

I also thought that the title was intending some bad horror movie.

I thought you’re not suposed to use living trees as suport. Herbie Fully Loaded was awesome.

That was the first thing I noticed when looking at the pictures. It is not proper to be nailing into living trees to help support a stunt or structure.

Here’s some pages with trail building and structure building tips and info for how to do it correctly:
IMBA Freeriding Guide
NSMBA Trail Tips (see the link on common mistakes and the link on well constructed structures)
There are also some trails and structure building tips over at pinkbike.com but I’m unable to access the site right now to find them. Take a look around when the site is back up.

And please don’t nail into live trees or cut live trees down to make a structure. It’s not good support because nails easily pull out of live trees and it’s not good for the trees.

You can use the CIA’s archive

sorey i didint know about the live tree thing and there screwed in

Thats cool. Great. Awsome.

Looks good. It looks like the first time you’ve done something like this, so you got a bunch of guys to tell you what you did wrong… you’ll learn and make even better ones in the future. Good work! :slight_smile:

Here’s the building guide at PinkBike that I was referring to: Building Trails for Fun and Karma

One big problem I see on some local trails is structures being built with weak wood that can’t take the abuse of being used over and over. Planks in the ladders will break or come loose. Supports will become wobbly. The structure starts out ridable and sturdy but quickly deteriorates and becomes an eyesore beside the trail that no one can ride because it is in complete disrepair. If you’re going to build something build it to last. Use screws instead of nails. Nails come loose when the wood expands and contracts from repeated cycles of getting wet then drying out. Build it solid and build it to last.

Re: woods+15 year old boys+chainsaw=

“john_childs” <john_childs@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> Nails come loose when the wood expands and contracts from repeated
> cycles of getting wet then drying out.

Feel free to use stainless steel ring shank nails, which are
recommended by the American Plywood Association for permanent exterior
wood construction. Very strong, excellent holding power, and
expensive.

Ken

Amen to that… A lot of people will use whatever they think is the cheapest way out and don’t think about the maintnance nightmare they are creating. Screws cost more than nails however if you build with screws you will find that you use less screws than you would use nails. Plus they tighten the whole structure down in a way that nails cannot.

We use nothing but McFeely ( www.mcfeelys.com ) square drive screws for all our stunt building. If we had built the following newest structure, this elevated berm with nails it would probably already be needing repairs. With screws however it is still good as new.

I also agree with John on staying away from attaching your stunts to trees for support. Beyond the potential damage you could do to the tree, if you’re the hippy type, using trees usually is the result of wanting to get it done as quickly and as easily as possible. That usually results in sloppy rickety structures. Learning to build solid elevated trail without using trees for support is real hard at first but over time it will make you a better builder.

All that being said, it’s a nice looking stunt and a great start! Keep on building, that is the best way to get better and better at it.