Woodford Folk Festival 2003-2004

From Boxing Day to New Years Day, a group of about 15 unicyclists performed at the Woodford Folk Festival. We had a great time and developed quite a reputation over the week. Each day we did a morning ride through the festival grounds and then in the afternoon we did a trials demo. We had almost 100 people watching us some days and we were only street performers! We all had a great time and pushed our limits throughout the week. I got my first real pedal scrape down the back of my leg and bent my trials uni, and Tony dislocated his little finger but we all had fun and some of us continued riding together for several days afterwards. I personally only heard one ‘Where’s your other wheel?’. Hopefully most people read the back of our shirts. :slight_smile:

I’ve put a few of the better photos up in my gallery. Here’s the direct link:

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu60#

Enjoy!

Andrew

Re: Woodford Folk Festival 2003-2004

So what was on them? The photos only show the front.

Klaas Bil

very nice!

did u have anybody approach u who wanted to learn to ride?
anybody who could ride?
and
how did u get to be there?

What did you bend on your trials uni?

Boxing Day? :thinking:

Oh yes, sorry. The back of the shirt reads:

Unicycling Frequently Asked Questions

1. Q: Is it hard?
    A: Yes

2. Q: How long does it take to learn?
    A: 2 years

3. Q: Does it really take 2 years to learn?
    A: No

4. Q: Where’s the other wheel?
    A: That question is not original, not funny, and not worth an answer.

Wayne designed the shirts.

We did have a few people wanting to learn to ride. The thing that amazed me though was how many people (who we didn’t know) were riding around the festival on their own unis. I must have seen about 5-10 different people throughout the week on unicycles who weren’t us.

Wayne did all the organising, etc. We were there as paid performers which meant that we each got in for free. That might not sound like much but it’s almost $300 for the week if you’re not performing! We were street performers this year but we’re considering applying for a stage to perform on next year as a scheduled show.

I bent my hub, right crank, and both pedals. :frowning: Tony suggested that a lot of this is probably due to my bad ankle posture. I think he’s spot on there. You can see in one of the photos how bent in my ankles are when I hop (and that’s probably with the pedal bent out a little as well). This means that I’m putting heaps more pressure on the outside of my foot so there’s a greater twisting force on the cranks and pedals. As for the hub (which isn’t bent much at all really) I have no excuses…I must just need to work on my dropping technique. :slight_smile: I put the pedals from my muni onto my trials uni because the other ones were bent, then that same day I went and bent the new ones. I really liked my Odyssey Twisted Pro pedals. Luckily I had a spair set of Konas at home for my muni. My muni is actually completely straight!

Boxing Day is the day after Christmas.

Andrew

Profile cranks aren’t indestructible either. :slight_smile:
What hub and cranks are you using on your trials uni?

You might want to try the Snafu pedals. They have a strong axle that might take more abuse before bending.

I’m using KH’s. I’m getting used to riding with a bent uni so as long as it doesn’t get any worse I don’t really have anything to worry about. It’s got more character now. :slight_smile: I’ve now got some orthopaedic shoe inserts which should help to protect my unicycles a little bit. Thanks, I will probably get myself some Snafus. Are they very expensive?

Thanks,
Andrew

Congratulations on bending the KH’s. Not many people have done that yet.

The Snafu pedals have a MSRP of $30 for the unsealed, and $66 for the sealed. That’s in USD. Here is the Snafu web page that has more info.

There are other strong pedals too. Ask a bike shop for recommendations for pedals suitable for BMX dirt jumping and other heavy use.

excuse me!
u talk about using pedals called ‘Twisted’ and then u’re suprised when u bend them?!
:stuck_out_tongue:

boxing day (apparantly) takes it’s name from the (now defunct) tradition that would see rich families collect the leftovers of their extravagant xmas meals, putting it in a box and taking it to the poor houses.

this is the front of the Woodford T-shirt (as designed by me).

Wayne.

let’s try that again

shirtfront.jpg

…and here is the back (also designed by me).

Hi guys,

I haven’t put my photos online yet because I was sick last week. (On
the plane on the way home I was in the fourth last row and there were
at least 8 kids under the age of 2 years between the back of the plane
and me)

I’m also having traumas logging into unicyclist.com.
More info when it’s all working.

nic

andrew_carter <andrew_carter@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<andrew_carter.zplyu@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>…
> From Boxing Day to New Years Day, a group of about 15 unicyclists
> performed at the Woodford Folk Festival. We had a great time and
> developed quite a reputation over the week. Each day we did a morning
> ride through the festival grounds and then in the afternoon we did a
> trials demo. We had almost 100 people watching us some days and we were
> only street performers! We all had a great time and pushed our limits
> throughout the week. I got my first real pedal scrape down the back of
> my leg and bent my trials uni, and Tony dislocated his little finger but
> we all had fun and some of us continued riding together for several days
> afterwards. I personally only heard one ‘Where’s your other wheel?’.
> Hopefully most people read the back of our shirts. :slight_smile:
>
> I’ve put a few of the better photos up in my gallery. Here’s the direct
> link:
>
> http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu60#
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Andrew
>
>
> –
> andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au
>
> HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ANDREW
> andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
> http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> andrew_carter’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29797

Hey Wayne, those shirts rock! Any chance of having one mailed up here to the cold country in the north?:smiley: