Wobbling

When i start off the wheel wobble from side to side, any suggestions?

e39m5

Is this normal riding? can you unicycle? is it something wrong with wheel?

Trev

Im in the process of learning to unicycle.

e39m5

I’ve been watching my g/f learning to ride and her first weeks (after learning the free mount) were quite wobbly. You will, in time, learn how to use the seat to steady the cycle, put a uniform amount of pressure on each pedal, and pedal smoothly through the entire stroke (think about making circles with your feet, rather than stomping down on each pedal). As with any uni skill, lots of practice is the best thing you can to do progress. Good luck, young Jedi!

Try placing as much weight as you can on the seat when you ride. That will put less stress on each pedal as you go. Eventually, you will barely put any pressure on the pedals.

Also, just practice. That’s pretty much the answer to every question about unicycling. You are asking your body to do something that it wouldn’t normally conceive of doing, so you have to give it time to adapt to it, and, with time, that is exactly what will happen. Just be patient. Good luck! I’m sure you’ll be riding the straight and narrow in no time!

yeah, i found I was almost standing on the pedals. I raised the seat up a little, and im doing that less. its a little less comfortable, but i can get a further distance. I think once i get the pedaling down i putting the seat to a more comfortable height.

e39m5

Also once you get turns down you start to understand more about the side to side wobbling motions. For turning, you’ll concentrate on the fluidity of abs and hip rotation movement and what you’re arms are involved with in this process. I think practicing turns is the next important paradigm in rider developement. The first being the threshold of freemounting/riding forward until you don’t know how far you can go without falling off

I’ve had people ask me why I don’t wobble before. They ask, “why don’t you wobble like the clowns I’ve seen in the circus who were unicycling?” I tell them that I don’t ever feel the need too (of course being an urban trials rider and having to adapt myself to the most random and different terrain almost constantly I once in a while do get sketchy–mostly when fear sets in, when trying a new line–).

I’ve also had people ask me if unicycling gives me an abdominal work-out. I think it does on some occasions, like balancing on skinnies or roll-hopping…but it would be wise to say that you’ll notice how steady you’ve become at riding in a straight line than when you first started.

–Late night reveries, of early unicycle days–

Enjoy,
Evan

Many of said clowns may have been wobbling on purpose, also. For a clown or comedy performer, the desire is to exaggerate the cycle’s movements, and make it look harder/more awkward than it is. If you look at the crank arms on old-time performers’ giraffes, you’ll notice they are usually pretty long. Part of this is their origin as bike parts, but another part is the desire for highly visible motion while the rider idles and juggles, while viewed from faraway seats.

It definitely does. Some of the best ab workouts can be had by working on rolling hops. That’s a real clear use of the abs. Another is BC Wheel riding. I remember always having sore abs after long practices on that.

Don’t worry about the wobble. As your riding smooths out and solidifies, it will fade. A small amount of wobble is normal, as it’s a product of the pedals being off to the sides of the wheel’s centerline.

Exactly. I just get a chuckle out of people’s comments, whether good or bad (and between riding in Adrian and Western’s campus, I’ve had a fair share of both)

It’s a thrill to realise that you may be the first and/or only unicyclist someone has directly, or has ever seen in their lives. I always have to put myself into their mindframe, and understand that what I do is generally percieved as an unusual activity.

The majority of people whom I stop and talk to (of which I try to talk to anyone whomever speaks a word) must remember the performances they’ve seen of a clown’s wobbling, and find it hard to believe–to borrow from Kris Holm on Ripley’s here–that I tell them just riding it is easier than walking. They’re completely blown away that a person can freemount, let alone ride a unicycle on flat ground. My response is then, “thanks for the cheers, but I can do way more than that”

About the ab-workout bit. I forgot to mention that I’ve noticed toning. But, when I get asked that, the first thing that pops into my head rather comically are those infomercials. Of all the things people could ask me, this question cracks me up the most, because of the American fixation with cheap/easy weight loss, and our preoccupation with societal images of movie stars and how we aspire their looks and builds (or are encouraged to through the media, moreover).

But that’s just my W.C. Fieldsian wit,
Evan