Winter Riding

I’ve never used the chains since that day … several years ago.

They help a little when the trail is slightly icy, but for the most part the naked Gazz tire is just fine. It’s more trouble putting them on then it’s really worth.

For those trials that are completely covered in smooth hard ice you’re better off bringing your skates cause neither chains nor studded tires will help you much. Sometimes the snow conditions just aren’t right for riding.

Carl

haha, I just DID make aspenmike’s pic an inspirational poster!!! my parents are giving me weird looks now…

and yes, I have rode in the winter. its really fun to do provided snow conditions are right, otherwise, Im gonna have to try Muni_guy’s tire chain!

Re: Winter Riding

“muni_guy” <muni_guy@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> For those trials that are completely covered in smooth hard ice you’re
> better off bringing your skates cause neither chains nor studded tires
> will help you much.

I don’t know about icy trials, but studs work like magic on black ice
covered roads. I rode a studded Nokian tire last winter and it stuck
like glue. The biggest risk was slipping after your shoe touches the
ground during a UPD. I definitely toned down my riding, though. The
tire I used was too thin to be useful when the snow got deep.

Ken

Evil-Nick and Doofe, I’m glad that you think that pic of my son, Logan 13, and I is inspirational. We are about 1/3 of the way down Aspen Highlands Ski Area, a 3,700’ vertical descent last winter. We rode the chairlifts to the top and had a unforgettable ride down. The Blue rated slopes, intermediate, were really intense. The Green slopes were much easier, but still very tricky. This pic is Logan.
Cheers.

when i get back from germany next yr im goin to mich tech univ which is in the upper UPPER penn. of michigan. which means very cold and lots of snow. thankfully (kinda) its so cold that there isnt much ice because nothing ever melts. anyways does anyone have suggestions when it comes to riding in snow? ive ridden on an ice rink before and in deep water, but never much snow. anything in spacific u can think of that is important to keep in mind. i have a feeling in the winter months (which is most of them up there) i will be more just riding around town and to classes and less MUning, but who knows.

well, i live in a section of california where we’re lucky to get 1" of snow every 3 years, however i can’t wait to take my uni up into the mountains some time to try riding in snow. it’ll be fun!!

Studliness

How much are studded snows? In the end, is it really worth it?

As for tips, my big one is for mounting: Perfect a mount that leaves the tire stationary on the ground. If it’s a little slick (especially if yer using a non-gnobby tire like I was) the tire will slide out with only a little pressure. I believe they’re called static mounts, but I could be wrong, since I’ve never taken the time to learn them properly :wink: I developed my own mount, basically I started with the pedals horizontal, with my dominant foot in position on one pedal. I would then jump up with my non-dominant leg, so that when my non-dominant foot landed on the pedal, both pedals would still be horizontal. I would NOT place pressure on the dominant foot until the other one landed. So I would basically end up in a still stand. This puts all the weight on the tire, which is good for traction, and gives a reasonable starting position to start riding :slight_smile: Hope it helps, and that I wasn’t too confusing :wink:

yea thats pretty much a static mount
very useful

Re: Winter Riding

“evil-nick” <evil-nick@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> writes:

> How much are studded snows? In the end, is it really worth it?

Nokians seem to be the best studded tires. They wear like iron and
have low profile extremely hard studs. As far as I’ve seen, they’re
only available in 26" and 700c. Retail price ranges from US$69 for a
mild tread with 106 studs to $139 for an aggressive downhill tire
loaded with 336 carbide tipped ice biters. I spent about $60 on sale
for a Mount & Ground with 160 studs. Here’s a link to a store with
pictures and prices: [http://webmountainbike.com/nokstudbikti.html].

There are other brands, and at least one 20" studded tire out there.
Check the web for prices. Homemade studs are doable, too, but be
careful!

Ken

Aspenmike,

I’m coming to Aspen this weekend for a few days. I’d like to come by to meet you. Will you be around?

Doug Massey
Norman, OK
dvm2 (at) cox.net

Haha, last winter your brother and I and another friend took our unis around Bangor…we hit the ice rink and a few other choice spots. It was great.

I rode to class every day of the school year on my wheel - rain, shine, sleet, hail, ice & snow, light or dark. Always a challenge, never boring.