Will a Nimbus 20" trials hold up for a beginner trialist?

I was wondering just how well a Nimbus 20" trials unicycle would hold up for a beginner trialist. I just started unicycling christmas of 2004 and do about 3ft. drops am 5’ 8" and weigh 130 pounds (if that makes a differance). I want a good unicycle but I want to save as much money as possible. If anyone has any opinions, cautions, please tell me.

Uniac

The Nimbus Trials is very good value for money, and a great beginer trials uni. It is also fairly reliable so i’ve heard. If you’re doing 3 foot drops the cranks and/or hub will probably bend eventually. In which case you could upgrade to a splined hub/crankset then…or just save up now and get something stronger which you’ll hardly have to upgrade…like a KH or Onza

And yes, your weight matters, though not as much as your technique. So weight is only one factor in how much shock the unicycle gets when you land a drop.

Based on the 20" Nimbus on the Unicycle.com USA web site, this is a very good deal for the price, but still has a conventional (cotterless) axle. Trials is pretty hard on those types of axle, and if you ride a lot, or do lots of hops and drops, it will give way eventually. But to own a cycle like that is often the best way to find out how badly you need a more expensive one. If/when it breaks, you can decide if it’s worth it to upgrade, or just get a new one.

I have the nimbus trials and it works beautifully. I was worried about the same things other people are mentioning, but i went ahead and bought it. I haven’t had any problems yet. I have had it for about 8 months. I have taken it off numerous 4-5 ft drops. The cranks do come loose sometimes, but nothing has broken and it hasn’t been too much of a problem. I ride almost every day.

Overall, I definitely recomend the nimbus for a limited budget like mine.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I think that I am going to buy this one seeing that I have a limited budget also. Thanks for your info, it really helped.

I am also thinking of buying this one. I was just wondering is the Nimbus the UDC house brand or something?

the Nimbus is definitely a great unicycle for beginner trials riders, except, you’ll want to upgrade sometime in the future. probably you’ll at least just want a splined hub and crankset, and maybe a new rim eventually…?

yep, Nimbus unicycle’s are made by unicycledotcom.