Why is unicycling so cool?

What’s the deal with this one-wheeled sport?

I’ve been an avid participant in many sports in my life (I’m a bit over 40). Very few became true passions.

Skiing - XC, alpine, telemark. I’ve skied for more than 30 years, including living three winters at a Utah ski resort (www.alta.com) and skiing 150 days a year. Needless to say - skiing is one of my passions.

“Ultimate”, a fast-paced, flying disc team sport (www.upa.org).
I’ve played it on a fairly competitive level for over 20 years, met my wife on an ultimate field in 1990, and we both still play.

Climbing. I’ve climbed for over ten years, although I don’t often climb outdoors anymore. I have a small rock gym in a room off our dining room.

Now, after starting unicycling less than two months ago, and only really riding for half of that, this ridiculous form of locomotion has risin to the level of those sports. In fact, I’d have to say past climbing, for me.

WTF!

Did anyone feel this way when they first started? It’s incredible! It’s like a drug, better because it’s exersize instead of a drug. (Not that there’s anything wrong with drugs, some of my best friends are drugs =8-O )

Your question deserves a response and I assure you, you will get more than a few on this site. Having thought about this very same question more than once myself, I came up with three reasons unicycling is so cool.

1. The very first time I sat on a unicycle, I thought riding it would be next to impossible. Conquering that seeming impossibility and developing strength is addictive.

2. The very sensation of riding just feels really exhilerating. Whether its riding fast, climbing hills, stalling, riding backwards or hopping up or down obstacles, the balance component of the exercise is almost intoxicating. Is that over stating it?

3. New skills seem to fall out of the sky when you first devote time to the uni. My friend and I both started riding really frequently at the same time and always had something new to get excited about. Learning to ride backwards was one of the coolest things I’ve learned to do ever. Months after learning, I still have fun riding around backwards for an hour or so on the basketball court in a neiborhood park.

well, i learned in the summer, and the only extreme sports that i do are skiing and snowboarding, so it really didn’t get in the way of those, however it did get in the way of my distance-running schedule.

Unicycling is “cool” because;

1. It is different. I enjoy the odd or unusual.

2. It feels great to just ride around and makes you a bit taller.

3. It presents one great challenge or obstacle with thousands of little obstacles to be overcome on the way. I find the feeling of success adictive, whether it is with something totally new or doing something I can already do longer, higher, or faster than ever before.

4. It is great exercise.

5. It can be used to earn money, especially when combined with juggling, acrobatics, and comedy.

6. Freestyle unicycling in particular is “cool” because it is an art form in a way that other “sports” or activities, such as skateboarding, football, etc. are not.

Not quite up to the skiing tho eh? Its hard too really compare the two. Im just stoked I got into unicycling cuz now I have something to do while im waitin for the ski season to start. I got my summer sport and my winter sport. They go together nicely.

It’s the only thing I’ve done where strangers give me the thumbs up, or kids say is cool.

Besides that it’s cheap, good exercise, and offers more to learn.

Re: Why is unicycling so cool?

yeah i did, but it soon wore off. about a year into it and things started becoming routine…now, about 3 years into it im getting a little bored with the whole muni thing.

ride,hop,ride,idle,ride crash,take pictures,buy T-shirt,buy new stuff,sell old stuff,ride,sweat,ride with friend,ride alone,night ride,day ride…its all the same.

Unicycling is cool.

I learned to ride it a year ago and my wife thought I was running away with the circus. It was like falling in love again. Whenever I learned a new trick, the smile on my face lasted for days. I used to run to stay fit but unicycling has taken its place (besides good tires are a lot cheaper than good sneakers).:slight_smile:

Re: Why is unicycling so cool?

steveyo Wrote:
> What’s the deal with this one-wheeled sport?
>
> I’ve been an avid participant in many sports in my life (I’m a bit over
> 40). Very few became true passions.
>
> Skiing - XC, alpine, telemark. I’ve skied for more than 30 years,
> including living three winters at a Utah ski resort (www.alta.com) and
> skiing 150 days a year. Needless to say - skiing is one of my
> passions.
>
> “Ultimate”, a fast-paced, flying disc team sport (www.upa.org).
> I’ve played it on a fairly competitive level for over 20 years, met my
> wife on an ultimate field in 1990, and we both still play.
>
> Climbing. I’ve climbed for over ten years, although I don’t often climb
> outdoors anymore. I have a small rock gym in a room off our dining
> room.
>
> Now, after starting unicycling less than two months ago, and only
> really
> riding for half of that, this ridiculous form of locomotion has risin
> to
> the level of those sports. In fact, I’d have to say past climbing, for
> me.
>
> WTF!
>
> Did anyone feel this way when they first started? It’s incredible!
> It’s
> like a drug, better because it’s exersize instead of a drug. (Not that
> there’s anything wrong with drugs, some of my best friends are drugs
> =8-O )
>
>
> –
> steveyo - new old guy
>
> –
> steveyo
>
> I complained I needed new shoes, till I met a man with no feet.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> steveyo’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35034
Uni is really cool,and it to is my current passion.Ive virtually put
regular cycling,blading,running,fishing, and everthing else on the back
burner as I enter my 5th or 6th week of uni.Playing the blues harp is
close on the cool scale, but only your lungs get exercise.Juggling for
me is still very cool even after 4 years.I plan to juggle on the uni
soon.

cheechee

Man, I can go on and on about how riding the unicycle is one of the best things I decided to do.

Instead, I’ll just say that it’s like learning to walk all over again.

Or even better, it’s like flying just a few feet off the ground.

I started with my uni (after a 30 year absence!) in May. I still stink when compared to most of you out there, but as soon as I get the old freemounting down, I’ll be level one. I don’t even think of riding a bike these days.

Unicycling ROCKS!

I know how you feel. I hardly ever ride my bikes anymore. I went out for a MUni ride this morning and met up with a large group of my mountainbiker friends in the parking lot. The first thing they asked was “how many wheels did ya’ bring?”:smiley:

That pretty much sums up why I love unicycling; being on one wheel is just a superb way of getting from a to b.