Why are disc brakes good for a unicycle?

I usually only use the brake to mount when I’m on a decline but I should practice it more. I’m not very coordinated so I find it easier without the brake when I don’t absolutely need it. I made a little video with a few mounts from my first video:

I think it will eventually possible to make very long runs of downhill on a freewheel unicycle but it’s prudent to assume a UPD is always imminent and to plan accordingly.

Similar to my buddy’s suggestion about a 180 unispin, a jump mount is possible but you’d have to be really fast with that hand on the brake before your feet put pressure on the pedals.

I never practiced assisted since I figured there was a likely chance to hit whatever support I was using. Take it slow and there’s less likelihood you’ll fall to the ground. My only experience is on a 20" so your results may vary. Of course I’m also 5’8" so your larger wheel may be more in line with your leg length.

I don’t know if my learning technique will transfer but I suggest starting off my trying to coast a couple feet with your dominant foot on the pedal and your non dominant foot slightly out for balance. Once you can do that try getting that non dominant foot up to the pedal. If you can get it up there regularly try doing two pedal strokes so that you are back in your dominant position and coast just a couple feet. You may find you don’t need this short coasting base with more extensive use of the brake but it may be helpful. I have some related video footage I can post.

I made a new video showing the brake coasting style of freewheel unicycle riding that I do now (crossposted here). It’s funny how normal it looks. I shot some footage yesterday of some easy off road riding which I should turn into a video today or tomorrow and am hoping to get some footage of slightly more difficult off road riding this weekend.

Order placed, waiting on PayPal…

Roger wrote in an email that Trike rotor mount offset is not exactly the same as the Nimbus, but it’s close (within 0.5mm), so with grinding or washers I can make it work.

UDC UK is awesome!!

Hub arrived today, just finished the wheel, old spokes worked out fine, dishing was a pain but, but worked with the old spokes.

Waiting on the bearing shims, then we ride, errr “coast” :sunglasses:

Great news! What’s the diameter of the axle? What’s your assessment of the quality of the hub? The hub I’m riding now started out with a little side to side play which was obvious even to me. Definitely wear whatever pads you can until you figure out what your pattern of falls will be. I fell on my elbow today on a flat dirt section after having no problems riding up and down small ramps. Good luck!

The Nimbus Trike hub is decent quality, not sure how many “pawls” it is, but I doubt we’ll put enough pressure on the hub in forward rotation to overtax the mechanism.

In terms of design, first think of this as a bike freehub body, there are sealed bearings press fit into the hub body which “carries” the hub on the spindle, then there is a second set of sealed bearings (40mm OD) which carry the frame on the spindle. Between the bearings is a ~6mm spacer. A “C” clip keeps the outer bearings on the spindle, retained in a groove machined into the spindle.

The spindle is square taper, smaller diameter than an ISIS unicycle hub spindle, so we pretty much need to use the hub and bearings as provided. I don’t have the bearing shims, but they should work fine. I have two crank lengths, 150 and 125. I’m not sure which set I’ll start with, suggestions??

Per Roger at UDC UK, the rotor spacing is slightly different from the Oracle, so I may need to space the IS caliper mount with washers. It was a PITA to dish the 24" wheel, I ended up with very high spoke tension differential between sides, it works, but I think it’s easier to dish a larger diameter wheel.

I’m running a 185mm rotor because it’s what I had available. I’ll be using my extra MT 2 disc brake, KH underseat brake hanger, and a standard KH grab handle. I may add one of my handles if I don’t have a ton of UPD’s; I don’t want to trash a handle with it hitting the ground a whole bunch.

I have dreams of this thing working out, but I know I need to temper my dreams with reality, so I will be wearing armor, planning to start on a slight incline, and a soft surface like grass. Should be fun :stuck_out_tongue:

I am camera shy, so I won’t post video unless I’m a superstar (unlikely), but I will post pics and feedback.

So about that 120mm spaced hub you mentioned…is it a disc hub?

I think the longer cranks are easier to balance but harder to pedal smoothly. You can start larger and then move smaller when you feel more comfortable. Your learning curve will probably be different than mine since I didn’t have a brake to start and you also have longer legs than me. I’m probably going to use 114m cranks on the 24" wheel. I have 100mm on my 20" now but started with 125mm.

I usually catch the handle on UPDs. For those times that I don’t catch the handle it usually hits the ground on the rear bumper, but once in a while on the front handle, too.

I would say that it’s already worked out for me. I certainly cannot ride my freewheel unicycle places I ride my regular unicycles with the same control and number of UPDs but I have fun and am improving with practice. It increases the number of places and number of ways I can enjoy unicycling.

The Bika LiteFWPH hub is 120mm bearing spacing with a single disc mount:

Contact is info@bika.it. I’ve heard it’s the toughest one. I don’t know where you can order them but people that make custom trikes in the US use them.

That’s a beautiful looking hub!

If this works out, then a 120mm spaced disc hub would be ideal for my 36er :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure how much I’d trust the numbers on the hub. Another source said the spacing was six inches. Looking at the two hubs side by side the spacing seems about the same (whereas they were quoted to me as 105 and 120 respectively):

I did find a source to order the hub:

http://www.crosswise-trikes.com/products-page/hubs/

I’m still a little skeptical about a freewheel 36er. I’m not sure how I would mount it. It would probably have to be by coasting just on my side and then wrapping the other leg up and over the saddle. On the other hand I wonder if the momentum from the wheel would make it more mellow once you got going.

Looks to me like there’s a lot of room for messing with the spacing on the 120mm hub, especially if you got a shim.

Ben, we need pics of your freewheel 24.

BTW 6" is around 150mm, so that’d be a super-super wide hub.

I don’t have time to post pics during the week, plus, what is there to show??

But of course I did take pics of the hub assembly, and will take pics once I have this little beauty completed; I’m waiting on the bearing shims.

I am kinda excited to ride this wheel, like a kid at Xmas :slight_smile:

HURRRY up bearing shims!!!

I went over to my fav LBS (Harpers) and told the shop guys I was building up a coasting uni.

One of the guys is a really excellent BMX freestyle/street rider, so he knows unis from having been in trials and street competitions. The look on his face when I told him about a coasting uni, it was priceless :smiley:

They are expecting carnage, I’ll see what I can do :roll_eyes:

If the shims arrive tonight, then it’s coasting time!!

For true carnage you need to add some clipless pedals:D

And don’t forget to spread broken glass all over the area where you ride.

and a blindfold, juggle flaming swords, and balance a full laundry basket on my head, yup, good carnage :roll_eyes:

When im down south I deffinatley want to try!

For your viewing pleasure:

In terms of fit, the Trike hub builds up and “trims” out the same as an Oracle hub. I didn’t need to shim the adaptor or the caliper, the clearance was good on the rotor bolts, the caliper, and the D’ Brake. Even the wheel rebuild using the original spokes from a “symetrical” hub worked fine. It was plug and play.

As to riding this thing, that is the question!

First thought: Leaning backwards is not your friend :astonished:

There is one thing for sure, that Waalrus, he’s got talent! This thing is gonna be hard, very, very hard.

I’ll play more tomorrow when my son awakes from his summer teen coma :roll_eyes:

Totally awesome. I can’t wait to see how this progresses.