Why are disc brakes good for a unicycle?

If you had a freewheeling hub and a brake, then you could use the brake to create a broadly similar effect to mounting a conventional fixed wheel uni.

If I lock the wheel up on any of my unis, I can mount the uni by letting it pivot underneath me (make sense?), so I believe that it could be done with some practice.

Honestly, I reeeeeaaaaalllly still want a 36er free wheel. The hubs aren’t crazy expensive, but too narrow for my frame, so I’d need new spokes presumably. I also wouldn’t want to put it in and find out it’s as hard as everyone is saying it is, then have to relace my wheel again.

I saw a freewheel hub for sale somewhere that looked like it might work in nimbus 36er frame, and maybe you’d even be able to reuse the spokes.

If you build a 36’er free wheel and ride it I will personally come to your house and give you a cookie.

That’s quite a commute…

For realsies?

That’s a bold statement, I’m a huge fan of cookies, and thirsty for the challenge of a freewheel.

So, let’s say I did build a 36’er freewheel and ride it (metaphorically of course), would I be able to send you my address and expect a hand delivered cookie?

So I guess my metaphorical problem would be finding the metaphorical hub. Bika Lite would be perfect, but nowhere in the US to buy that I can find. UDC hub would be preferred, but I would need to bend my frame and might need new spokes. Huffy hubs are 120mm I believe, but I’d be concerned with quality, and also difficult to find.

So maybe metaphorically, I’d call UDC and talk to Josh about it…

Metaphorically…

I can do a static mount on my big wheel but I normally have the pedal at about 8 or 9 o’clock. On a freewheel you can lock the brake but the pedal will still go down to 6 o’clock. With the lower seat and shorter cranks I use for freewheeling I think I’d be OK, but it would be close. I don’t have to use the brake for mounting on flat ground but practice using it because it’s very useful when you’re pointed downhill.

The frame is definitely the issue with a 36" freewheel unicycle. I have an older KH which won’t fit the D’Brake without modification. The disk tab on the new KH frames are on the wrong side, but the D’Brake should work. The Oracle is too wide for the Nimbus hub. If nothing comes of this geared drift trike hub I’ll probably build a 36" freewheel next year. However, with sufficient practice I may be able to get up to my average big wheel speed with my 26" freewheel.

I’d be interested in the regular hub w/out disk mount. I like my regular old mechanical rim brake set up on my 36er.

You’re right, frame/hub width is killing me. If I could find a ~120mm hub, I’d be willing to try it, or if I knew that I’d be able to effectively bend my frame and reuse my spokes, I could get a frame bender to fit it to the hub or send it to UDC for those guys to mess with.

With all of your (waalrus’s) experience using the hub, I’m more than convinced that if you put the time in, free wheeling is a viable option on a unicycle, I just need to find a hub/frame setup that’ll work. :roll_eyes:

So to anyone here, find me a ~120mm freewheel hub in the US, and I’d be fairly willing to put it in my 36er.

Edit: Duh! Locking the wheel up won’t stop your cranks from moving, stupid me! I knew that, just wasn’t thinking…

Has anyone tried building a coasting unicycle with a coaster break hub? You wouldn’t be able to pedal backwards but it seems like a possible way to make free mounting easier and give the rider more leverage/ability to lean back (as long as the coaster brake isn’t too touchy).

Also since this is my first post I should introduce my self…
Hi, My name is Chris and I have been riding unicycles for probably about 12 to 13 years now. I have no clue why it took me so long to decide to join this forum. I used to do mostly muni but then I moved to the flat lands of of Omaha Nebraska (where there are rolling hills but no solid single track) and now commuting/distance riding, bc wheeling, and ultimate wheeling are my main disciplines. When I am not unicycling I am either working ( I am a paramedic a the local children’s hospital), studying (working on my undergraduate degree I physics), skydiving, flying my powered paraglider, dorking out on my synths, playing my didgeridoos, stand up paddle boarding, staying up way too late doing astronomy. Anyway that is me in a nut shell so now back to the topic at hand.

According to this post, Sarah Chastain had one with a coaster brake. I haven’t ridden one like that so I don’t know how it would ride. I don’t have enough recall of coaster brakes to accurately judge how it would affect the way I currently ride but my best guess is that it would be a disaster.

Alright, I ordered the hub.

This will be my first wheel build and it’s a 36, probably a bit unorthodox. Thank God for Sheldon Brown and hopefully I get the tension right…

Okay, so I am not riding my freewheel muni enough to get further than down the street and I have yet to coast the thing, so I guess it’s time to move it on down the line… and since this appears to be the official thread for all things “uni coasting”, let it be known that I have a coasting uni for sale :slight_smile:

Nimbus 24 Muni, coasting hub, Magura MT2 disc brake, KH ghetto flat seat.

First come, first serves, best offer or trade for 26" muni

:smiley:

Gasp, must resist.

I don’t think that would help unless the coaster brake was adjustable. What happens when you back pedal (freewheel) is fairly sudden, in a sense you lose all back foot pressure and fall backwards as your foot drops, it’s pretty much unretrievable once you start falling back.

Having a coaster brake would stop the fall, but then it would pitch you forward, which would create it’s own problems, so unless the brake could be adjusted to provide some resistance without being a complete “stopper”, that might be interesting to try.

I had my coasting muni at the Ashville munifest, only a few folks were able to try it, but I had five new takers including Ben Tilley and Brookes Bacon, they were both able to ride it uphill, but no one could coast more than a couple feet without a UPD and no one was able to ride flats or downhill.

The disc brake is a workable stopper and if a person were exceptionally talented it could be used in conjunction with the freewheel, but for full on muni it just isn’t viable because unis rely on back foot pressure in the same way a bicyclist relies on their second wheel.

More people may see look at it if you create a separate post in the Trading Post forum. I still would like someone else to give it a try but if there’s no other interest I could make an offer. I have a 26" Nimbus muni with 150mm KH Moments to trade (but no brake).

I also find that when I try to gain speed on the downside of a hump my feet bring the wheel a couple notches in reverse which might activate a coaster brake. I think this will also be the landing position after getting air over a jump so activating the brake at this time would have terrible results.

Do you know if any of the takers had previous coasting experience? I’m thinking this would definitely be useful. One of my uni buddies tried my 26" for the first time on Friday. He can coast a few feet on a regular unicycle and was able to get a few runs on flat ground including a tiny bit of coasting. That’s with no experience using a brake.

I’m not qualified to discuss full on muni. On a fixed wheel I tend to walk over any mildly technical terrain. I do know that every ride I go on I improve a little bit and I ride the freewheel 5-6 days a week. I find it more fun than riding a fixed wheel unicycle.

Send me a PM and we can discuss it, that’s more or less what I’m looking for, essentially an extra muni for friends and learners.

Nope, they are not coasters, but between the four of them they are all good riders. I’m sure it would help, but one day or practice is not enough to learn the uni.

I’m sorry I missed the Asheville munifest. I would have liked to try the coasting uni.

You could always come South and go for a ride with me :slight_smile:

That’s a possibility. I’ll have to work on that.