whos going to moab 2006?

We get there really early then, on thursday…

I think it would be nice if we planned on having a street-trials-freestyle ride, even somthing like just messing around with flatland tricks in the parkinglot, or whatever. It doesnt have to be a formal thing, just for fun.

I would say more than that, last year there was almost 200 riders, couldn’t we expect more this year?

Uhh, if it needn’t be formal, why are you pushing for something scheduled… At muni weekends, those who want to exchange tricks will do it no matter what. It’s not like time needs to be legislated for it. Personally, I’m not going to travel some 800 miles to ride in a parking lot. I won’t be there.

I just said it so people would have that idea in the back of they’re mind and be ready for it… and sheesh, it could be before or after the main ride. As an addition to the main rides.

I just said it so people would have that idea in the back of they’re mind and be ready for it… and sheesh, it could be before or after the main ride. As an addition to the main rides.

need to find a way to make it there
anyone know how i could get there for pretty cheap airfare? or go with someone?

i’m going even if i have to ride all the way there. On a 12", for that matter.

well, there isnt any info on the web site so Im gonna ask some questions here. Where is MOAB located ? any subcription fees ? where do I sleep ?.. give me info please. Im noob

Its located in
Moab, UT

…its usually a few bucks to register

You can camp or stay at a hotel…whichever your budget prefers

for more info goto http://www.moabmunifest.com

I found the quote below, along with info on the rest of your questions, with a single click off the main website (the MMF05 Info link). The location of Moab can also be found in a single click via the “Map of Moab” link.

Moab—located in Southeastern Utah—is the location of the famous Slickrock trail, a well known bicycling Mecca attracting some 150,000 riders annually.

For more on lodging and logistics, see this post, which has more current info than the website does. I found that thread by clicking the Search button, typing in Moab, then clicking Go.

I almost died in the heat in SB at the last CMW… honestly, I felt like I was riding at 50% of my ability all day, if that. Moab sounds hot. I’m just not designed for warm weather; I sweat like crazy in 70 degree “heat”…

No sir, I don’t like it.
I’ll not be attending.

im gunna try. i fly into salt lake yes?

Moab is high semi-desert. In March, that means you could have temperatures in the 90s, or it could snow. The three years I’ve been there, it’s been in the 60s and 70s, with maybe one or two excursions into the 80s. It’s very dry, so it won’t seem as hot as the same temperature in a more humid place.

I’ve never felt as hot at Moab as I did on the first half of the Friday ride at Santa Barbara this year. Endurance is more of an issue than heat; the Slickrock Trail is more strenuous than any of the CMW rides from this year.

maybe we could get the same plane outta LA…
or kyle, lloyd, kari and i’ll be riding in moby… that’s gonna be a long drive…

i gotta couple questions to. is it like everyday they do the same rides, like the slickrock and that other one? And is there a destination or does everyone just mess around everywhere?

I am SO there! I think im going with my fam, but If i had to I would ride on the back of a smelly spitting camel the whole way!!!

I’m there.

to answer the question above, there are several planned rides, like one or two a day. Other groups will be doing other trails for less or more skilled people, extending rides, etc.

Look at moabmunifest.com at the info section.

Last year, on friday we did Moab Rim trail as a group. Saturday is the day everyone usually does the slickrock trail, and is teh main riding day. Since there were almsot 200 riders, age 6 to 60, not everyone rode the whole 15 mile thing, some went halfway and turned around, some just did the 2 mile practice loop, etc. Sunday we did Amassa back. So yes, every day has a main ride organised that everyone does together. After that people split off and go in smaller groups, mess around and stuff.

Cool, we’ll know who eachother are by our uni’s…

Thats what I did last year… I didnt know what people looked like, but I knew several people by there unicycles. Catboy, for instance, has a distinctive uni.

Yes, Salt Lake is probably your best bet, and most of the folks flying in will go there. From Salt Lake, it’s about 4.5 hours to Moab.

You can also fly to Grand Junction, Colorado, which is about a 2 hour drive. Depending on where you’re coming from and your airline, it’s not necessarily a time savings, however. Example: to get to Grand Junction on Delta, you’re going to route through Salt Lake regardless, so the time spent in layover, changing planes, etc., could be spent driving from Salt Lake.

That said, the drive from Grand Junction to Moab has some pretty sweet views for the last 40 miles or so.

I’m going. This time there’s no hernia to stop me. I decided that 1 month after a surgery was probably not the best time to exert myself. But this year, there’s no stopping me (yet).
One more thing: for those who are worried about the heat, in both 2003 and 2004 I brought a flannel with me for the Saturday rides, and wore it in the moments I wasn’t riding. It got cold at night and was still cool in the day. Despite that, DO NOT FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN. I’m sure you can find a picture of me somewheres online on Saturday night in 2003 where I was bright pink. I was hurting the next day.