Who to ride with?

I was wondering for some input from people who ride unicycles frequently. Currently as of now, i only have one friend who can ride unicycles with me, be it in the driveway or Muni, and he is going to college pretty far away this fall. I have no one else to ride with, and i have only one other friend who is trying to learn, but he doesnt have enough motivation. My dad can ride, but he doesn’t want to get his own unicycle, and he also is not really that into it.

First of all, does anyone know of a website or anything where i can contact other people in my area who would like to go out and ride.

Secondally, what is everyone’s opinion on riding Muni alone. Is that two dangerous, or should i do that.

I love riding unicycles, especially Muni, and i try to ride almost every day, and it sucks not being able to go out with other people who can ride on my level.

This is the website you’re looking for. Post where you’re from and see if anyone else lives near you.

Riding MUni alone gives you another factor to consider when assessing risk. If you’re alone, dial back the stuff you’re willing to go for, especially if the failure consequence is high. Make sure someone knows where you went and when you expect to get back. Then go have fun!

where do you live? maybe someone on the forums lives within a few hours of you.

And, I have the same problem: no one to ride with near me in PA :frowning:

I was wondering for some input from people who ride unicycles frequently. Currently as of now, i only have one friend who can ride unicycles with me, be it in the driveway or Muni, and he is going to college pretty far away this fall. I have no one else to ride with, and i have only one other friend who is trying to learn, but he doesnt have enough motivation. My dad can ride, but he doesn’t want to get his own unicycle, and he also is not really that into it.

First of all, does anyone know of a website or anything where i can contact other people in my area who would like to go out and ride.

•You’ve found it! As the post above mentioned, if you tell us your location, you’ll find out who lives near you, and when they ride!

Secondally, what is everyone’s opinion on riding Muni alone. Is that two dangerous, or should i do that.

• go for it! 96 percent of my riding is by myself. Of course there is some risk, but just be smart about it. wear a helmet, nobody wants to see your brains on the trail. Other than that, safety gear is up to you. Most people wear shinguards (and sometimes goves)

I love riding unicycles, especially Muni, and i try to ride almost every day, and it sucks not being able to go out with other people who can ride on my level.

ok thanks for the help. By the way i live in Highland Lakes, New Jersey. Its in sussex county. Anyone live close by?

I do all my muni by myself. My husband goes along 1/week and brings the dogs. I ride ahead and double back (except for the really steep parts where I am slow enough to stay with him). Other than that I go solo. I don’t really worry about it, though I probably should. I used to do bicycle touring on my own as well. If I waited for people to do things with I would never do anything. Life’s too short…blah blah blah.

There is no one close to me and I always ride Muni alone, I don’t know anyone to ride with. I started in April so I’m not doing high risk things at this stage, but I do my best.

I live about an hour away in Bernardsville, Somerset County

You need to start teaching people to ride. I ride with my son (Alex) and his friend, she learned from my son, now a couple other kids have learned from her. Last Fall I went to a bike shop after hours and taught a couple people to ride, now one of them is riding with me AND their bike shop is looking at getting some unicycles to use for rentals :smiley:

When I don’t have someone to ride with, I go with my dogs, and sometimes my wife will run along with me.

I live in NJ near philly. Sorry to say I haven’t had much free time to go riding lately.

You got the right idea! I taught one friend (he’s a skateboarder and picked it up quickly…target skateboarders) and now he’s teaching his friends. And I bought an extra beater unicycle just for the purpose of lending out to keep people interested.

My wife bikes along with me…she’s a slow biker, or walks and I ride my 20" and practice real slow riding…sometimes we hold hands, it’s very romantic…and challenging.