Who needs bolts to grip a bc for hopping anymore?

By “grip strip” I assume you are referring to that welded-on, angled steel plate just below the axle bolt? It might be even more practical if that could be adjusted or even removed on the fly! Maybe a similar piece that is held on by the axle bolt that could be “pivoted” or raised/lowered for a variable fit.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Evan named that piece a gripstrip because he thinks it sounds cool. It was really weird because Evan had been talking about making one for a long time and then we saw pics of Jeff’s bc with them too. Jeff didn’t like his but I think his was in a bad place because he said it went into the side of his foot.

When I get my new Bedford plates I think I will drill a hole in them near the top and bolt one of the strips on so I can easily remove it or tilt it.

I want you to show me how to do that when you get yours, I want to do it…

dam you evan, now I want a different BC again…

::::Evan posting:::::

I don’t see why you would ever want to remove the strip.

Have you tried many no footers or tricks that involve taking your feet off the plates then landed back on?

Seems like these would make it harder to get your feet of and land on the plates without it getting in the way.

What is also weird, probably a week ago, me and my friend Mike were BCing, and we had the same exact idea. Too bad both of us aren’t good enough to jump yet. =p

the strips make any no footer, or one footer stuff impossible, i dont do those anyway.

why are they impossible? what if you just adjusted your feet to the outside of the plates so that they clear the gripstrip and then perform the trick?
i almost did the exact same thing to mine last night, but im just learning to weld so im still working on the extender-bar thingy im putting on mine

I still like the idea of an adjustable, removeable piece; a “hop stop” that simply fits over the axle bolt. Think of it as a “mini” plate. L [SIZE=2]

It is easily rotated for a perfect fit, and is removeable leaving no extra holes or marks.

[/SIZE]

that’s actually a brilliant idea.

i may end up trying that this weekend.
(aka TODAY.)

Thanks! LEt me know how it works out, and post pics if possible. I’m going to try a wooden mock-up of the design before I make the final one from aluminum! Just a simple L design with a 14mm hole bored into the vertical part, just like a regular sized plate.:smiley:

oh!
THAT’s What you meant.

i kind of spawned an idea off of it using a shaft collar on the nut.

but i see what you mean.

the only problem i see with the L bracket underneath the nut is that whenever you want to remove it, you’d have to undo the plates, and tehn realign them afterward, along with the plates.
it’d be kinda hard.

but the shaft collar, clamped onto the nut itself, could work too.
i’m gonna try that today, and i’ll let you all know how it turns out.

how about plates that have over 3" of adjustability?

the first pic is how i had them set up for a week :slight_smile:

How much do those weigh?

what’d you MAKE those out of?
lead ingots? cast iron?

they look SO bomber, though.
and they look like they’re SO heavy too…
damn…

:slight_smile: 7 lbs
i just bent one of them (the chunk I welded on)
… they are super easy to hop w/ … the holes grip your foot like no other :slight_smile:
the whole thing weighs under 8lbs… my wheel wieghs nothing at all

Lighter than my 3/4" Square stock :angry:

I’ve drilled some holes in mine and it only took off 1 pound.

i drilled a couple of holes in mine (over 100 combined)

and ground off a lot of metal , they were completely covered in surface rust, and now they are 95% shiny clean, clearcoated metal

i am so stoked, its awesome, now i just have to fix the part that bent and file out the lower hole… it isn’t exactly lined up perfectly

i made them out of 3/8"thick X 4-4 1/2" wide angle iron and some brackets for a trailer jack … the same ones i had used on my wooden plates

ok!
i now have my little nifty BC inventions cooling off strait from the welding table!

pics in a few minutes.

Here we go:

my little contribution to this idea, a little removable spin-off i like to call ‘Duck Feet.’

voila.
as evan stated (i think)
they do hamper normal dismounting, and i almost tripped the first time i tried them. But the more you use them the more you get used to them and the easier they become to ride.

It is very convenient not to have to squeeze your feet to hop.

P1010150.JPG

P1010153.JPG