Who knows about UNICON

So, I’m thinking about going to a couple of days worth of UNICON, but I have a few questions.

First, I still consider myself very beginner. I’ve been doing very low impact MUni every weekend since I got my new MUni (about a month ago), but I’m still learning pretty slow. As far as tricks, I can barely bunny hop, and I’m still screwing up my mount 1/3 of the time. I can’t even idle or ride backwards yet (although, I expect that to change in the next few weeks, I’m getting much better).

So does UNICON offer anything for a beginner/slow learner? I think just playing around with real live unicyclists will help me out a lot. What I’m worried about, though, is may ability to participate in any of the activities, or the possibility that I might screw things up for other people because I’m just standing there trying to mount while a game is going on.

Then there looks like there is a big MUni ride every day starting sunday. I’d love to see how the big boys play, and I’d like to do some MUni riding, but I don’t want to just get left in the dust. Plus, can I participate in stuff like this without registering as a competitor?

I guess what I need to know is, can I play and watch people without any trouble, or should I wait til next year when I’m better.

Also, I could only really go for four days, is that a problem?

Finally, between UNICON and NAUCC, it looks like UNICON is what I would want, right?

Nbrazzi,

If you can go, DEFINITELY GO. I want to go, but I am just too afraid to commit financially, since the hotel costs would kill me and I may or may not be laid off next week. :slight_smile:

My personal opinion is that the less you know, the MORE you will benefit from other people. You are going to meet plenty of beginners. You are going to meet people who can show you how to fix your rides, or give you insight into how to improve, etc. You will get to go on fun rides, and see what it is all about.

I would go, despite my hesitation in flying, if I wasn’t concerned about a layoff. Sucks for me.

Regarding being left in the dust, let me tell you that there is nothing like riding with others to push your abilities and fun forwards. I miss it. Also, there are going to be PLENTY of beginners. If the fast guys go out front, you’ll still have beginners near you.

Also, there are plenty of “fun rides” just for the purposes of socializing and mixing it up.

As for events and games where you are trying to mount while others are scoring goals, don’t worry. That’s how you learn, and nobody is stopping you and the other new folks from starting your own pickup games.

This is an opportunity. GO and ENJOY!

Lewis

Re: Who knows about UNICON

We are organizing many Muni fun rides for Unicon. We’re trying to make sure
there are options for a wide variety of skill levels. It will be lots of fun.
Come if you can.

I’m not into the competition angle, so I register as a noncompetitor. It’s
amazing how much you can learn in an intense period with other riders.

David Maxfield
Bainbridge Island, WA

Being around skilled riders who can SHOW you how as well as TELL you how makes all of the difference in the world. No book or video yet published can look at you at tell you, “oh, your foot is in the wrong place.”

RE: Who knows about UNICON

> I guess what I need to know is, can I play and watch people
> without any trouble, or should I wait til next year when
> I’m better.

Come on down! Some beginners are coming halfway around the world to ride
with other unicyclists. Don’t miss this opportunity. There is plenty for
everybody!

> Also, I could only really go for four days, is that a problem?

Nope.

> Finally, between UNICON and NAUCC, it looks like UNICON is
> what I would want, right?

Yup.

Stay on top,
JF

Unicon

Theer will be 9 Australians travelling to Seattle spending 16 hours on a plane, taking a week to get there, mortgaging the house, working 2 jobs, wrestling crocodiles in our spare just to get there.

Is it worth the effort???

Well in Beijing I came last in every event last time, went home broke, got my mount 20 per cent of the time and had to walk in the opening parade.

I wouldn’t miss it for anything in the world. Go dude go!!!

I probly missed this discussion, i just joined the group about a week ago.
Where and when is the unicon? I’d love to go. Probly wont be able to, but i
would love to try.

In a message dated 6/7/02 5:13:52 PM, john_foss@asinet.com writes:

<< > I guess what I need to know is, can I play and watch people

> without any trouble, or should I wait til next year when

> I’m better.

Come on down! Some beginners are coming halfway around the world to ride

with other unicyclists. Don’t miss this opportunity. There is plenty for

everybody!

> Also, I could only really go for four days, is that a problem?

Nope.

> Finally, between UNICON and NAUCC, it looks like UNICON is

> what I would want, right?

Yup.

Stay on top,

JF >>

wow, this is the shortest JF responce I have seen yet! :slight_smile:

http://www.nwcue.org/events/unicon11.html

The UK’s Unicycle Source

----- Original Message -----
To: <nbrazzi.5vsjm@timelimit.unicyclist.com>; <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: Who knows about UNICON

> I probly missed this discussion, i just joined the group about a week ago.
> Where and when is the unicon? I’d love to go. Probly wont be able to,
but i
> would love to try.
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

washington is pretty far from boston. Will there be camping alowed on the
grounds similar to most mountain bike fesitivals? in otherwords are hotels a
must or can we pitch a tent in a field along with 700 other riders and drink
and ride all night and not be bothered by poeple telling us its not alowed?

__
trevor andersen

They don’t have camping on the grounds, but there are plenty of campgrounds
nearby. Don’t expect an especially rowdy crowd, but there are plenty of places
to ride all night.

David Maxfield
Bainbridge Island, WA

There is some info on some of the local camping areas on the NWCUE.org web page (Northwest Committee for Unicycle Events)
<http://www.nwcue.org/>
<http://www.nwcue.org/rooms/default.asp>

You might want to find out if others are planning on camping and try to all pick the same campground. Unfortunately this part of Washington doesn’t have many cheap hotel rooms, but if you can find a roommate to share a room with the hotel prices get more reasonable.

john_childs

In a message dated 6/8/02 6:45:56 PM, maxfieldd@aol.com writes:

<< They don’t have camping on the grounds, but there are plenty of campgrounds
nearby. Don’t expect an especially rowdy crowd, but there are plenty of places
to ride all night.

David Maxfield
Bainbridge Island, WA >>

I see. that makes it more difficult. camping will of course always be the
primary option, but it would be better if it was on site. though i guess any
and all camp sites would be over run with unicycles anyway. so it may be just
as good.

__
trevor andersen

In a message dated 6/8/02 8:00:49 PM,
john_childs.5xx5y@timelimit.unicyclist.com writes:

<< You might want to find out if others are planning on camping and try to
all pick the same campground. Unfortunately this part of Washington
doesn’t have many cheap hotel rooms, but if you can find a roommate to
share a room with the hotel prices get more reasonable.

john_childs >>

camping is way way cooler anyway. especialy with this type of crowd. i
wouldnt go any other way. no matter how old and used to comfortable
sorroundings i was.

__
trevor andersen

How 'bout parking in a rest-stop and sleeping in a van? (my plan)

-Dylan

There are no rest areas in this part of Washington.
What pass for them are called Mcdonald’s, so sleeping in your cars/vans is not advisable. There is a truck stop that you might get away with sleeping in your van. It is between North Bend and the Snoqualmie Pass. You could try and find others and share a campsite.

Do you have any pull-offs on the sides of the road?

I might pull a last minute thing and fly up there. Isn’t there a homeless shelter we could crash at? Or do 10 or more people want to pitch in and get a room? We can take turns showering and all sleep on the floor. Just keep your hands on your own uni! I don’t care how dark it is, you leave the Black Panther alone.

I’m also thinking about camping. The closest camp-site to the event headquarterst looks to be 4.5 miles away. I really don’t mind riding 4.5 miles, but I’m not sure if that will drain me too much to take part in the rest of the activities. (that would suck if I went to one of the MUni events and wiped myself out and didn’t save anything for the ride back to my tent!)

I know there’s transportation between the different event locations, but how do I find what sort of transportation I could find back and forth from the campground or hotel room?

That would be pretty awesome if there were a bunch of unicyclists camping out at the same place.

Here’s another question, I hope somebody here can answer. If I go, I’ll be arriving on Saturday morning. The only thing going on on Saturday is the city rides in Seattle. Will I be able to register at that location, or am I completely out of luck?

Also, will inter-venue transportation still run that day - specifically from Seattle to the event headquarters (so I can get to wherever I’m going to sleep?

Finally, and I know this has turned into 3 questions, sorry. When I get off the plane, I need to go straight to the city rides in Seattle. Where do I go from the airport? Do I just hop in a cab and say “Space Needle, step on it!” or “Seafair, step on it!”, or is there an airport shuttle I should take (“here’s my shuttle fare, step on it!”)?